Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

En snus guide

Nic

Hello guys,
I have written a short how-to guide that caters to new at-home-snus-makers for Don at WLT to use however he sees fit. The purpose of the guide is to provide some basic information about snus making in Swedish and Finnish language for WLTs new customers. I would appreciate if all you experienced snusmakers commented on the current content both good, bad and hopefully some useful additions.
I know that there is many good ways to make snus but I have used the “standard” recipe and the approach I personally use to make snus. Most of it is of course inspired by all your efforts on this fine forum. However I have no experience in dealing with Swedish customs so if someone could share the process it would surely be useful information for potential customers.
The original guide is written in Swedish and I am currently working on a translation to Finnish. I have also made a cleaned up google translate version for you English speakers. Both versions are attached to this post in .pdf format.
As stated earlier all comments are appreciated.

//Nic

Attachments

• How to make snus ENG rough translation.pdf
    219.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Hur göra eget snus på hela tobaksblad.pdf
    289.1 KB · Views: 58

Nic

Thanks Jitterbugdude!

Let me add some background info about this guide.

Like most of you surely have experienced, this diy tobacco hobby attracts both curiosity and attention. And I am sure most of you have heard the phrases “Is that legal?” or “Can you really do that here?” and in Finland that legal part is a big element of it since distribution of Swedish style snus is in fact illegal and has been for over 20 years! You can’t buy, sell, receive it as a gift or buy any products meant for snus production (kits). There has been, and still is some political talk about making it legal here again, but the political efforts after elections are mediocre at best. Still, we are over 100 000 people here that uses snus on a daily basis. The unavailability of snus has turned our grandmothers, sisters in law and the neighbor’s distant relatives into “smugglers”. If someone makes a trip to Sweden they are sure to get an order from whoever dare ask.

There are many that already make their own out of snus-kits bought in Sweden, so much of the knowledge is already there. But, when I was asking those newbie questions not so many months ago there were some parts that I could not find an answer to, mainly the customs procedure and what type of tobacco to use. Although I see myself as fluent in the English language there was a barrier that I mentally had to cross before I made my first order from WLT. I have now ordered a couple of times and even experienced those dreaded tapes that read in Finnish “package opened at the customs office for verification”. It has always turned out just fine and no matter which of WLTs tobaccos I put in my snus it has also turned out really good.

So the intention with this guide is to remove or at least reduce the language barrier a bit for those Swedish and Finnish speaking first time visitors to the WLT website and give them some assistance with the basic parts of the process. I have also suggested an inclusion of a Snus-sampler-pack in Wlt’s product line. That would be fun wouldn’t it?

//Nic

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
in lieu of the bake, for those that cannot monopolize the oven for extended periods of time but have a large crock pot, you can fill your snus into mason jars and put in crock pot half full of liquid, between the high and low settings one should correspond very closely to the 90c temperature listed. bonus, when done with the cook the jars will seal as they cool :)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I use a crockpot myself. I cook for 12 hours. Used to cook for 24 hrs but by experimenting found out that 12 hrs works just as well.

Nic

This thread has been added to the Index of Key FTT Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

Bob

Nice!

in lieu of the bake, for those that cannot monopolize the oven for extended periods of time but have a large crock pot, you can fill your snus into mason jars and put in crock pot half full of liquid, between the high and low settings one should correspond very closely to the 90c temperature listed. bonus, when done with the cook the jars will seal as they cool :)

I use a crockpot myself. I cook for 12 hours. Used to cook for 24 hrs but by experimenting found out that 12 hrs works just as well.

I have also tried the crock pot but without any success! Roasting bag with snus and no water in the crock pot results in burned fingers and snus =( Mason jars sound like a great idea, need to try that next time and maybe cut down on the current cooking time which is 5 days.
//Nic

squeezyjohn

Thanks for the recipe and method ... that looks like it will make a good strong and salty snus!

I don't use the oven any more ... I have a sous-vide machine which can hold the temperature of the mason jar very accurately and is very economic on electricity use. I cook mine at 85ºC for 48 hours and get very good results. Having tobacco in the oven for a day didn't go down very well in this family!!!!