Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordPipestoke

Hi.

I've been looking into growing tobacco for some time and currently have a few seedlings going, hopefully ready to go outside in about a month.

I'm a pipe smoker and hope I'll be able to put together something that won't make me wish I hadn't tried. :)

Anyway, I'm growing Havana Gold from some seeds I received through the kindness of someone else who I suspect may well be a member here already.

Any other pipe smokers on here?

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Yep!

And saving about $4000 a year with my own production. Started 10 years ago, when it cost me about $3000/year and fuel for my diesel Jetta ran $1000 for 35000 kms. I can't produce fuel, but I can sure grow tobacco!

60 - 70 plants give me a steady supply in my climate - the northern limit for corn and soybeans. Plants run 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 ft here; warmer climates give taller plants and more leaf weight. My average is about 80 grams of dried tobacco per plant - some varieties more, some less. Not a lot of difference in taste to my palate between the 30 odd varieties I've tried so far (except Perique - knock your socks off!), but yields have been up and down.

NB11 has been my winner - an unknown that showed up in a batch of seed early on. Heaviest consistent producer.

Biggest challenge was getting a texture satisfactory for use in my pipes.Took me 4 years to work out the kinks!

I now harvest from the bottom up (priming), hang to dry and age for a year, store very dry in boxes until needed, press into bricks and slice at .050 (Cigarette tobacco seems to be cut about .020), and re-dry ready for the pipe. I smoke it as dry as possible to minimize the dottle.

So - welcome to the group, good luck with your grow, and I hope your feds don't give you any hassle!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Growing it isn't very difficult..just do a lot of research on how to start them..and all that info. Is in here in many threads....once you have germination... And your seedlings pop thru the soil..and you see little green dots...the rest is kinda simple...you'll make mistakes and adjust from them..I'm a 6 year grower and still make simple mistakes.

Good luck and welcome to the forum...the best bacca site on the web

webmost

Kowabunga!

... oh no, wait a minute ... that's Lord Greystoke...

Welcome Lord Pipestroke!

... oh, no, wait a minute... wrong forum...

Welcome Laird Pipestoke.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome. What's your general location? If you are starting seed now, I'm guessing Southern Hemisphere. Looking forward to some photos of your grow. If you put your general location in your profile, it will be easier to answer any questions you may have later on especially weather specific questions like curing, etc.

LordPipestoke

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Much appreciated!

It's good to see there are other pipe smokers in here. Mostly in the 'grow your own' areas, it seems that people are interested in cigarette and cigar tobacco. Nothing wrong with either of those and I'm likely enough to do a bit of them as well if I find the groove, but to me, the main tobacco is what is combusted in a pipe.

I'm already seeing an incredible amount of information on this board and I'm sure I'll be expanding vastly on my currently limited knowledge.

As for location, I'm in Victoria, Australia - so the south-eastern part of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.