Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Green stemmed vs white stemmed tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bex

I have a friend growing/curing Virginia - his leaf is white stemmed, and he is finding it quite easy to cure. My leaf currently is green stemmed. I've been trying to research this on the internet, but without much success. I have read that burley is white stemmed, but not much info on white stemmed Virginia, other than that it is 'easier to cure'. Does anyone have any info on the differences or any links that they could provide for more information on this??

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
No real scientific data but yes, white stemmed tobaccos (Virginias and Burleys) are easier to cure and offer a smoother smoke.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
So far I've grown 26 different flue cure (Virginia) varieties over the past three seasons. None were difficult to cure. I don't recall any with a white stem but my memory is real short.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
White stem is a genetic defect of chlorophyll production/destruction that is common among many burley varieties. I've also seen it in Besuki (cigar wrapper), and Chillard's White Angel Leaf (probably a burley). Some Virginia-labeled varieties are actually derived from burley (e.g. Big Gem). Virginias were originally derived from Orinoco.

There is a White Stem Orinoco. When I grew it, it did not do well (though it indeed showed a white stem), so I can't give much of an opinion of it.

Bob

Bex

Thanks for the info. While I was hoping that perhaps this was a 'short cut' to my curing problems...I now have a bit more info (on this topic) and know to look elsewhere - other than stem color - for my solution!! :) Gracias.

Status
Not open for further replies.