Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

picked up an older Troy-Bilt tiller this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

I did the engine oil change this morning, the oil I put in was already so full of metallic particles it looked like clear coat paint with a metallic pearl flake. Once done with that and filled back up with fresh 10w30 started her up for 15 minutes. Since I had all day to work on it,went ahead with the seal swap too , axles and gear case tailshaft where the tines attach. I forgot how much of a PITA seals are to remove , especially originals. Got the new ones (provided by the former owner) . Went and got new 85w 140 gear lube. 2 quarts of Lucas . Old stuff was like graphite liquid...nasty . All cleaned up and refilled . Got the tine shroud back on and took her out to the garden and let her rip. 30 x 40 in a half hour. beautifully turned blackish soil. narry a skip in it...This machine pulls effortlessly !
Its almost as if the tines overtake the wheel speed. But wow it does a much better job than my Craftsman tiller I'd been using for 5 years. VERY PLEASED with my re-power engine and seal job. I can see why these machines are so sought after. Worth every penny. and to think I only have ,including the initial investment, around $300 .

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i agree they are a piece of art especially if you think of the original design being started in the early 60's. and the design didnt change till 91' and even then the original design didnt change they just added a p.t.o. to use more attachments, its a design that all other tillers like it have copied, what i like about it.. is the way that after you make a pass. the soil in its wake is just as flat and level as can be, unlike my front tine tiller which had me come back with a garden rake and make it all level.

not to mention just to step back and look at it... it looks like a beast. even the tillers designed to be like it. cant compare to its intimidation factor,

are you gonna strip yours down and re-paint it and order the new decals for it. and make it look new all over again?

one of my tires didnt keep it's bead and come off the rim so im just gonna put a tube in that tire, i put my restoration on hold till the middle of january. then im gonna get back on it. and try my luck at making some attachments for it. right now im just gathering all the parts im gonna need for that project.

Smokin Harley

Yeah , how about it...This is the original "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" machine. No unnecessary fancy bells and whistles ,no cup holders,flashing LED's ,hand warmers,radio, or MP3 plug in...just meat n potatoes hard working machine. Worth its cast iron weight in gold.
Nah, I'm just running her as is. The paint on it is really good , no bubbles anywhere. No sense in getting it all new and sparkly (with a non-original motor)with new decals and then just put her back churnin dirt. Nope . shes a worker.
Now that you mentioned it, I did notice especially how it leaves a wake of flat soft soil. I'll probably sell the Craftsman in the spring as I doubt I'll get many bites this time of year.
I looked all over this machine for any other stamped numbers that would give indication of an actual Troy-bilt model. Theres numbers on the swivel handle base mounted on top of the gear case that says TH 1006 . Only other numbers I see are the ones I posted that are behind the wheel but I think you said those weren't it either. Only other thing I wish this had was a way to disengage the tines for transport. Maybe you know how. I'd hate to adjust the reverse out of it , I can't maneuver it without reverse without hurting my back.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I think thats why they redesigned it with a p.t.o. so it could be moved without the tines turning...could you imagine it in reverse and you trip and fall...its still coming back...with the tines turning...right over your leg..

I think that spring just stops it from going down too low.and ruining your reverse disc..

Well youll have to wait for mine to get restored to see the new decals..shiny paint. E.t.c...then we will see what your decision is on making yours all shiny.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
IMG_20151111_172408226.jpgIMG_20151111_172413482.jpg

theres where you will find the serial numbers.... the tranny is square,, but on both sides at the top is a '' lip'' on the right side lip is where it's at.. this is my parts tiller with the p.t.o. it actually says seril number... yours will not,

but on that lip is where they are punched into the steel.

now go look at my chevy truck thread and see what i ran across today.....[ doing my happy dance ]

Smokin Harley

I just went and looked...I got nothing ...I see the flat spots and besides being too skinny to stamp anything on them (only maybe 3/16" of flat steel there)but its also got paint there and it looks like original . Usually the stampings if present are big 1/4"characters and deep like yours appear to be.
I saw the parts truck youre picking up soon...You and my son would have a ball in a truck graveyard. All he thinks,eats and sleeps about is his truck and what parts he can find. Nice old find. Have fun with that.
Now that I see pics of yours , we may have the same model but I'm thinking yours may be a different year. I'm guessing mine is older since it lacks the PTO lever. On mine the wheel hubs are attached by a pin and a cotter pin on each end of the pin and that pin goes through the backside of the wheel hub and the axle. pull either cotter pin and the bigger pin slips right out of the axle, theres no roll pin like I see on yours. I was too busy trying to get the seals changed out the other day or I should have taken a few pics of the process.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Odd that your #'s aren't there..you'll proablly have to go by the type of time you got and guess at the year..but the motor may also give you a clue on the year....that tractor forum has all that info.

Smokin Harley

I submitted a post to that troybilt club ...I pretty much just put what I know about it and what some of the parts look like as compared to other models , we'll see what I get back ,if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.