Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Post Fermentation Aroma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old#12

This topic has probably been covered before but I couldn't find it. I recently pulled my Little Dutch and Vuelta Abajo from the kiln. I struggled with the curing process due to low humidity issues ergo more green than I hoped for. The kiln took care of the green but the aroma of the kilned leaf is somewhat sweet with a touch of acidity on the nose. Can I expect this to age to a more earthy aroma or this likely going be close to the finished product. Both were kilned about 5 weeks at 120F. I know that other factors including soil composition, water and ferlization could be factor in but any input is greatly appreciated

Smokin Harley

I had one batch of various leaf through my kiln so far . The Florida Sumatra came out still a bit grassy smelling, not too much different than when it went in. BUT, I stacked it ,smoothed it and put it in a plastic bag (not a vapor proof one) that has very small intentional holes here and there for a little bit of air exchange properties. And I let it set. Here it is about 2 months later and the smell has definitely changed . Its a nice smooth mild tobacco smell , nothing like it was immediately post kiln.
My Vuelta and Little Dutch hasn't been kilned yet but when I do I'll try and remember to get back to this post and give you my results.

Old#12

Thanks Harley. This is my second grow year. Last year I grew only Connecticut Broadleaf and had a similar sweet smell post kiln. It has mellowed into more of a tobacco aroma. I've really had to work at getting the tobacco cured. Coming up with a good curing environment is going to be a priority next season and I think I'm going to plant something less sweet and more earthy or woody to complement the sweeter varieties I have. Any recommendations? Thanks again. #12

Old#12

Thanks 2Bs My Vuelta does have the chocolate like aroma. The Little Dutch is sweet but not sure about chocolate. My concern is the title bit of vinegar burn on the nose. Is that normal? #12

Ben Brand

Thanks 2Bs My Vuelta does have the chocolate like aroma. The Little Dutch is sweet but not sure about chocolate. My concern is the title bit of vinegar burn on the nose. Is that normal? #12
Never had a vinegary smell. I think it should be okay if it was fermented for the same time as the VA. The only thing I can say about my tobacco is that it hasn`t got the traditional cigar smell, Big Dog called it an almost sheep manure smell.Nothing wrong with the taste, all my cigars smell a sweet almost chocolaty smell!

Old#12

Thanks. I guess I'm just going to see how it does in a few months. Im taking out my Penn Red this week. I think it's going to be great. Getting ground ready for next season. Taking recommendations for cigar varieties. #12

Knucklehead

Founding Member

Could the vinegary smell be an ammonia smell? If so it will go away with occasional airing out. I got some Burley from Don one time that would have revived an unconscious man. It went away with airing out.

webmost

Roll it up and smoke it. If it gives you a splitting headache, that's ammonia. If your wife starts calling you Pickles, that's vinegar.

Old#12

Ya Web that's what I'm going to do Hopin for no headache and if wife calls me "Pickles" then I'll take that over what she usually calls me #12

webmost

Ya Web that's what I'm going to do Hopin for no headache and if wife calls me "Pickles" then I'll take that over what she usually calls me #12

Let's all hope the mailman ain't nicknamed Pickles.

Old#12

Thanks Knucks. I suppose it could be ammonia but I haven't experienced it before. It seems to be mellowing out already. I rolled a cigar with the Vuelta in question as filler and my recently kilned Penn Red as the wrapper/binder. I stepped outside in the rain to give it test. I had low expectations and thought it might be short smoke. It was the best surprise I could have hoped for. It was smooth and flavorful and I smoked it to the nub. #12

Planter

One year ago I prepared some Perique from overripe Oriental leaf. Gave it some air after a week, a month and 2 months. Then forgot about it. When I took it out of the press jar a few weeks ago it had a room-filling odor of old fish (but looked fine - still covered with liquid, leaf tissue intact, no mould or rot).
2 weeks of drying in an open space only somewhat helped that. So I decided to kiln it in a closed jar. Every day I remove the lid for a few seconds, and an eye-watering ammonia smell is released. But, it already gets better, today I even could detect some fruity notes.
So I would say, don't discard leaf based on its cold fragrance. Time and fresh air will most likely sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.