Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Heating greenhouse with the Green Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

I'm stalk curing Bursa in the greenhouse right now, but there isn't much sun and it's getting pretty cold at night.
IMG_20151108_234350.jpg
I'm using a 300W radiant oil filled heater to keep it from freezing, but it ain't all that warm. Maybe 40F at night. I was just wondering if you guys thought running the barbecue on slow burn with a clean hardwood charcoal in the greenhouse might be an option. Would the flavor of the charcoal ruin the tobacco?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I don't know if it would ruin it but it would definitely impart a smoky flavor to your leaf. Latakia was accidentally discovered that way. Who knows, you might discover "Canadian Latakia"

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Stalk curing will add quite a bit of time to the cure until the leaf is finally killed. I'd be equally concerned about air circulation as maintaining temperature.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i think it would work but would it get hot enough ?

and....are you gonna constantlly be adding wood to the burner,?

i have aqquired a l.p. gas burner for my next year kiln. one of them old school heaters you see mounted on the walls of old houses, even a l.p. gas burner may work, the type you fry turkeys on...boil peanuts on e.t.c.

to really do it right will take some ingenuity and some time and money.. thats the main reason why next years kiln im gonna have a shed built just for my bacca doings.. build it once and use it forever,

bonehead

i would be scared of carbon monoxide piosoning. i hear you don't even know about it until it is to late. charcoal in a closed space is asking for trouble.

ChinaVoodoo

Stalk curing will add quite a bit of time to the cure until the leaf is finally killed. I'd be equally concerned about air circulation as maintaining temperature.

I'm unsure what to do then. I'm crunched for time and space right now. We're selling the house. A couple weeks ago the greenhouse was hitting 90 with full sun and i figured it would cure quickly. Now, we got clouds, 40, and sleet. Maybe I'll just have to air cure in the garage.

ChinaVoodoo

i think it would work but would it get hot enough ?

and....are you gonna constantlly be adding wood to the burner,?

i have aqquired a l.p. gas burner for my next year kiln. one of them old school heaters you see mounted on the walls of old houses, even a l.p. gas burner may work, the type you fry turkeys on...boil peanuts on e.t.c.

to really do it right will take some ingenuity and some time and money.. thats the main reason why next years kiln im gonna have a shed built just for my bacca doings.. build it once and use it forever,

I've got an old has burner from inside the wood stove in my garage. I don't know if the threads match the barbecue. I guess that's easily solved. I could just put the gas grill in there too, but it's new and i don't want to abuse it. I like the idea of gas though. I wouldn't have to constantly be relighting it. The charcoal BBQ will go for 8 hours on one load if I restrict the air flow, but it's a pia to get going on the first place.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
stalk curing isnt going to work for your area,,, id suggest stripping the leaves. and stringing them up.

ChinaVoodoo

It worked inside. The weather dropped 35degrees in the last week. I'll just have to make space because although I recognize stringing as the best option, I just don't have the time for it.

chuditch

i would be scared of carbon monoxide piosoning. i hear you don't even know about it until it is to late. charcoal in a closed space is asking for trouble.

Very very true. I am an ex paramedic and we would get a few cases a year from people using charcoal heaters inside to keep the temperature up. You don't know it is happening and you can end up very dead if you collapse in the environment. You do look quite healthy with a rosy glow to your skin but still dead. Just getting out of the environment wont help either. The monoxide molecule bonds itself to blood instead of oxygen and the body wont use it and the blood cant get any oxygen in as it is laden with monoxide. So you end up with a trip to the hyperbaric chamber.

juan carlos

too bad my barn is so dusty, i'd say bring it over! It's heated with radiant and the RH, horses, leather, hay and wood give it the perfect barnyard aroma...but you'd have to pressure wash the dirt off after about 36 hours!!

Gmac

I'm unsure what to do then. I'm crunched for time and space right now. We're selling the house. A couple weeks ago the greenhouse was hitting 90 with full sun and i figured it would cure quickly. Now, we got clouds, 40, and sleet. Maybe I'll just have to air cure in the garage.
I insulated my greenhouse with a flat sided clear bubble wrap made for greenhouses and a quality tarp on the floor. now I can regulate heat & humidity as I want. The humidity was the killer in mine. That tarp is a lot cheaper than concrete,& works like a charm. (Don't waste your money on Ole Blue Boy}
Gmac

Status
Not open for further replies.