Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to clean wood cigar mold/form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk45

Hi everyone,
I Found this wood cigar mold/form in a local knick-knack shop shop so grabbed it. It's pretty dirty and who knows what this thing has come in contact with since it left the original shop. What is the best way to clean a wood mold/form to ensure sanitary conditions w/o damaging the wood?

1111151636.jpg

1111151638.jpg

Thanks,
Hawk

MarcL

Grain alcohol would work well with dissolving the tobacco tar build up. grain alcohol will evaporate. you may have to scrape some away. Don't satcherate it so much. if it is musty or dusty smelling, it dissipates with use to a degree.

Smokin Harley

If I had to try cleaning one I would definitely try some kind of food grade alcohol (vodka or yes everclear)or even a light mist of vinegar, both will dissipate without a trace or residual flavors...I would not use soap as it may leave a film and the water can cause the wood to swell and no longer mate halves properly. Maybe, use a stiff toothbrush to scrub a little between the cigar cavities. Let it dry thoroughly before use. Beautiful shop find...If I may be nosey , how much did you grab it up for??

hawk45

If I had to try cleaning one I would definitely try some kind of food grade alcohol (vodka or yes everclear)or even a light mist of vinegar, both will dissipate without a trace or residual flavors...I would not use soap as it may leave a film and the water can cause the wood to swell and no longer mate halves properly. Maybe, use a stiff toothbrush to scrub a little between the cigar cavities. Let it dry thoroughly before use. Beautiful shop find...If I may be nosey , how much did you grab it up for??

Thanks @Smokin Harley. This was the process I thought would work best as well. Maybe even a little light sanding. I got it for $65. I offered $50 but the shop does not haggle. It's one of those high-end knick-knack shops my wife wanted to pop into while we were out walking around after having some good local food/beers for our 15 year anniversary. I rolled my eyes when she asked if we could go in and look around.. man was I happy we did. The girl behind the counter asked me what I was going to do with it. When I said "Make cigars!" she looked at me funny. I think she was expecting me to say something like "Turn it into a dog leash and car key holder." Those crazy kids these days. I don't think she had any idea what it actually was other than something that looked old and rustic to sit around and collect dust in someones living room.
It's not a steal by any means, but cheaper than I've seen them elsewhere online and I could pick out the one I liked of the 3-4 they had on hand. No shipping was a plus too.

hawk45

Just an update. Everclear and a toothbrush did a good job. I used a small flat head screwdriver for the tight areas. Looking really good now.

juan carlos

good to know. i'd be worried the alcohol would pull out all the oils in the wood. i just find a quick scrub with soap and water cleans my hands nice after a rolling session. the little perfecto mold i got from harley was clean enough, so i just left the patina.

hawk45

I'm thinking any oils that may have been pulled out will be replaced with oil from the leaves when they go in there.

Ralemonds1s

Necro post here.. Do you guys think good vodka would work? Would hate to buy a whole bottle of ever clear just for this.. Considering I wouldn't touch it beyond using it for cleaning my new mold.

MarcL

Do not use anything that is going to impart any smell or taste. besides, that mold you got is one of the cleanest molds I've ever seen. what you see in those pix are most likely some small pieces of tobacco you can just dislodge with a pick and blow out. if not just clean it out with a tooth brush.

btw, be sure to scoot over to the Introduce-yourself thread and do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.