Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tongue Numbness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Exactly. I've had a similar idea and have to question what it is we're buying in ready made smokes. I mean ,look at the catalog descriptions...basically all they tell you is what the wrapper is and most times it just tells you what country its from, no variety . Only tasting notes and that as far as the ordinary consumer knows is relatively meaningless. So, even with all these so-called cigar ""experts""(in double quotes intentionally for intense sarcastic value) raving over these cigars . Unless you rolled them yourself , you have little to no clue what you're smoking. and then adding in the counterfeit factor or copycat , mystery additives,etc...

MarcL

Steve Saka says he uses a La Meca Ecuador Habano grown through Oliva tabacco co. as a wrapper on Sobremesa.

MarcL

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/17576

There are people who buy my wrapper, but won’t admit that they’re using wrapper from Ecuador,” says John Oliva Jr.. “They say it’s Nicaraguan. I guess wrapper from Nicaragua is supposed to sound better. It used to bother me, but it doesn’t anymore. And even though the seeds are Cuban for my wrapper, I never claimed that anything I grow tastes Cuban. That’s not what I’m looking to do and that’s not what my operation is about.

The clouds temporarily clear, allowing the sun to come out for a moment or two. This is rare sight for the region. Most of the time, the cloud cover is so thick and constant that the nearby Andes are completely invisible. Now, through a light haze, the verdant mountains appear large and spectral.
At a barn on La Mecca, Oliva inspects some hanging leaves, which have turned brown from the time they’ve spent curing. The tobacco barn smells like honey and yeast as all the wrapper leaves inside slowly ripen. Oliva is pleased with what he sees, and is confident that this wrapper will be of high quality.

cpg_5357e273a2e64.jpg

Smokin Harley

honey and yeast...yeah , that about describes my kiln when I first opened it about 2-3 weeks in. Like a sweet bready aroma...just heavenly.

CORoller55

Since I dont want any of the wrong people to get heat for this, I do want to say that it is not from WLT or LeafOnly, it is from a third party, of which none of you will likely ever deal with. Im discussing what to do with the product now, but as Im understanding it, the overseas warehouses fumigate all their tobacco, and Im wondering if it could have been an excess of this which caused the issue. Perhaps Don could clear this up, in your experience, do you know whether cigar leaf is usually fumigated or not? Personally, I thought it was supposed to be "organic"...

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Yeah, I don't do riddles too good. All tobacco is fumigated...unless of course it is "organic". Never heard of organic cigar tobacco. From the extra clues you're giving us, it sounds like your smoking green tobacco...unfermented.

Birage

Nestor Plasencia Jr. has produced a Nicaraguan cigar that is 100% certified organic. There are interviews and videos where he talks about using old style Columbian farming techniques. His cigars are frozen instead of fumigated with phosphine, etc. This subject is confusing to me, various people say that the premium cigar tobaccos are already grown in an organic fashion without pesticides, etc., and others say most cigar tobacco is grown using pesticides, etc. What is the real deal? Seems like everybody has a definitive, yet divergent opinion of how cigar tobacco is really grown and processed. Personally, I wouldn't doubt that most all tobacco is a chemical cocktail just like we find in our food supply, and of course, this is all done because of money. Yeah, I know most people will say smoking is bad for your health to begin with, but if you read the history of tobacco use and cancer, etc., it correlates to the industrialization of tobacco growing and processing with chemicals (as well as flue curing). Not only for health reasons, but it has been proven that plants grown organically have better quality due to the microbiome of the soil uptaking of the terrior (minerals), and the absence of chemical disruption of volatile organics that make up the flavors/aromas. But, it is too cost prohibitive, so let's just use chemicals to get the stuff to market with the biggest ton/acre.Personally, if I could buy 'all' my tobacco organic If I could......yeah I know, grown your own!!

Smokin Harley

it is not from WLT or LeafOnly, it is from a third party, of which none of you will likely ever deal with

maybe not but theres always that one chance...and theres newbies that may look outside the house (WLT) brand .

Yeah, I don't do riddles too good.

Me neither...ok ,Since we are all here to help each other, how about for the sake of safety and possibly health reasons you divulge the source of the tobacco in question.
I certainly won't hold it against you if you name the third party company. And if its about bad leaf from a competitor ,or in this case, a health concern ,I doubt Don will have a problem either. In fact , it would steer more people who think of going elsewhere to just buy from Don ,get high quality leaf and boost sales ( which in turn keeps this forum alive) .
When I was in business(taxidermy) people would come in and see what I had to offer. I'd hear a lot of stories about my competitions work that might have been set ups to see if I'd bad mouth them. I never would. But, if I would make darn sure I'd keep what I heard in the back of my head for my own improvement. Bad/shoddy competition is good for an honest business.

CORoller55

Nestor Plasencia Jr. has produced a Nicaraguan cigar that is 100% certified organic. There are interviews and videos where he talks about using old style Columbian farming techniques. His cigars are frozen instead of fumigated with phosphine, etc. This subject is confusing to me, various people say that the premium cigar tobaccos are already grown in an organic fashion without pesticides, etc., and others say most cigar tobacco is grown using pesticides, etc. What is the real deal? Seems like everybody has a definitive, yet divergent opinion of how cigar tobacco is really grown and processed. Personally, I wouldn't doubt that most all tobacco is a chemical cocktail just like we find in our food supply, and of course, this is all done because of money. Yeah, I know most people will say smoking is bad for your health to begin with, but if you read the history of tobacco use and cancer, etc., it correlates to the industrialization of tobacco growing and processing with chemicals (as well as flue curing). Not only for health reasons, but it has been proven that plants grown organically have better quality due to the microbiome of the soil uptaking of the terrior (minerals), and the absence of chemical disruption of volatile organics that make up the flavors/aromas. But, it is too cost prohibitive, so let's just use chemicals to get the stuff to market with the biggest ton/acre.Personally, if I could buy 'all' my tobacco organic If I could......yeah I know, grown your own!!

Im a little confused as well... As you said, who can really know for sure?

Don, I initially was thinking that the tobacco was too green, but shouldnt that have more of an acidity and grassiness to it? Im no tobacco professional...

Smokin, this person doesnt deal in whole leaf tobacco. Right now Im getting a refund. Its sad cause the other sticks have been without issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.