Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello, Very Late NY Grower Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce22oz

Hello, Everyone. I'm from NY and am growing tobacco Very, Very late in the year. I planted my plants (Tennessee 49) on about August 1st. This may not be the place to post my question, but I couldn't find anywhere that seemed appropriate.

I'm disabled from RSD (severe chronic pain)... I've been wanting a garden for years, but haven't been able to make/build one due to my disability/pain. This year in late July my father helped me build a slightly raised garden and filled it with topsoil. About that time (just before) I planted the seeds in starter mix and then on July 27th and again a week later I planted the seedlings in the garden (I planted the second set of seedlings a week later, because I had extras and I didn't think they would grow to full size. I thought they would be very small, so I added several plants in between the spaced out ones to double the amount)...

Anyways, It's November 15th now and the leaves on my plants have barely turned yellow, so I can't harvest them. I'm not sure what to do. We've already had frost on the ground at-least 2 days now, but they're just not ready to harvest. I've harvested about 2 leaves per plant so far, but nearly all of the leaves are still very green and the seed pods haven't matured enough to harvest either.

I want to harvest the leaves after they turn yellow, so I don't have to cure them for 1-5 years or to have to do a crap load of work quick curing them (not able to with my disability). I picked a couple green leaves so far and they've very harsh, but the leaves that were yellow or browning when picked were extremely smooth. By far the smoothest tobacco I've ever smoked. I really want all or most of the tobacco to be yellow or brown, so it's smooth, but wouldn't mind a couple green leaves in the mix, so the cigarettes aren't too smooth.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make them turn yellow faster (immediately)?

It's getting very cold here and I'll be very lucky if I get a week or two before it starts getting below freezing constantly and/or before it starts snowing. I'm already very lucky that the plants haven't died from the cold already.

(sorry so long)

I really thought that they'd grow to be very short and that they would mature within a month with it being so late in the season. I had no idea that they'd grow to full size (if not taller) or that they'd still be almost perfectly full and green this late in the year.

Does anyone know if my tobacco will still be smoke-able if the leaves get frozen before I pick them?

(oh yeah, does flowering have anything to do with the leaves turning yellow? I don't have a lot of plants, so the bees didn't bother pollinating them. I had to pollinate them myself, but didn't do all of them, so some have flowers, some have seed pods and some have neither. Some never flowered at all. I'd really hate to waste any of the tobacco I've sacrificed so much to grow.)

Thank you everyone for any replies. I would really appreciate any info or advice you guys could give me. I'll try to take some pictures today and post them on here as soon as possible.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. You can harvest any time, but unless the leaf is mature, it will produce poor quality tobacco. I've never heard of leaving the leaf on a growing stalk until it turns yellow...not sure where you got that. Your biggest challenge this late in the year, will be curing the leaves.

You'll likely be able to salvage something that can be smoked, but your greatest achievement is getting an understanding about how tobacco grows. Next year, you'll be that much further ahead of the game.

The good news is...answers to all of your questions can be found here
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Wow this really was an epic year if you even have a chance of having a product after not starting until August in NY.

Read the FAQ, it has all you're answers, and like FM said use this year as your learning year, you'll be way ahead of the game come may.

Read into the kilning threads and build one, or go all out and build a flue cure kiln, that'll give product in the shortest time.

Just don't let your plants freeze, better to pick leaves early.

Smokin Harley

Hello, Everyone. I'm from NY and am growing tobacco Very, Very late in the year. I planted my plants (Tennessee 49) on about August 1st. This may not be the place to post my question, but I couldn't find anywhere that seemed appropriate.

I'm disabled from RSD (severe chronic pain)... I've been wanting a garden for years, but haven't been able to make/build one due to my disability/pain. This year in late July my father helped me build a slightly raised garden and filled it with topsoil. About that time (just before) I planted the seeds in starter mix and then on July 27th and again a week later I planted the seedlings in the garden (I planted the second set of seedlings a week later, because I had extras and I didn't think they would grow to full size. I thought they would be very small, so I added several plants in between the spaced out ones to double the amount)...

Anyways, It's November 15th now and the leaves on my plants have barely turned yellow, so I can't harvest them. I'm not sure what to do. We've already had frost on the ground at-least 2 days now, but they're just not ready to harvest. I've harvested about 2 leaves per plant so far, but nearly all of the leaves are still very green and the seed pods haven't matured enough to harvest either.

I want to harvest the leaves after they turn yellow, so I don't have to cure them for 1-5 years or to have to do a crap load of work quick curing them (not able to with my disability). I picked a couple green leaves so far and they've very harsh, but the leaves that were yellow or browning when picked were extremely smooth. By far the smoothest tobacco I've ever smoked. I really want all or most of the tobacco to be yellow or brown, so it's smooth, but wouldn't mind a couple green leaves in the mix, so the cigarettes aren't too smooth.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make them turn yellow faster (immediately)?

It's getting very cold here and I'll be very lucky if I get a week or two before it starts getting below freezing constantly and/or before it starts snowing. I'm already very lucky that the plants haven't died from the cold already.

(sorry so long)

I really thought that they'd grow to be very short and that they would mature within a month with it being so late in the season. I had no idea that they'd grow to full size (if not taller) or that they'd still be almost perfectly full and green this late in the year.

Does anyone know if my tobacco will still be smoke-able if the leaves get frozen before I pick them?

(oh yeah, does flowering have anything to do with the leaves turning yellow? I don't have a lot of plants, so the bees didn't bother pollinating them. I had to pollinate them myself, but didn't do all of them, so some have flowers, some have seed pods and some have neither. Some never flowered at all. I'd really hate to waste any of the tobacco I've sacrificed so much to grow.)

Thank you everyone for any replies. I would really appreciate any info or advice you guys could give me. I'll try to take some pictures today and post them on here as soon as possible.

First of all, welcome to FTT. Nice to see a newbie .Lots of great people in here and great info .
If your leaves are even a little bit yellow , pick them now. In fact if they have any kind of gator skin texture to them or a duller green than the rest , pick them ,they'll turn. You don't want to try smoking green leaf .
If you plant next year I suggest getting plants in the soil no later than July 4th . Tobacco needs time to grow to get useable leaf . Two weeks after flowering you should be starting to harvest (primings). If the tips of leaves get that dark crispy look , they're ready. If the leaves snap off the stalk like celery with little force, it's ready. If it bends, leave it and watch it a few days , checking every other day .Tobacco is also self pollinating ,so if you have no bees , no need to do it yourself unless you happen to be experimenting cross pollinating to get something different but you wont see a significant or reliable result first try. If the leaves are yellow , freezing wont hurt them much . Best thing is to get your tobacco going a month or so earlier next year and read up on everything there is right in here between now and then.

ChinaVoodoo

I agree with smoking Harley. If there's any sort of yellowing, alligator texture or lightening, you can cure then. Just make sure they stay around 75% humidity while they are hanging.

In regards to freezing, if it's a really hard freeze and the chloroplasts rupture, you will have interstitial chlorophyll which doesn't cure out as easilly as if it's within the cells. If you have sunny weather, don't harvest severely frozen leaves until they've had a couple days of sun. The sunlight will break down that chlorophyll. I've been using a 200W fluorescent in my curing room for heat. I put anything that has or looks like it will dry green next to it. It makes a noticeable impact, removing the green on a couple weeks.

I hope that helps. And congrats on joining us in this hobby. Next year will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.