Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"Dominican ligero" vs. "Piloto Cubano Ligero;" and Corojo seco

Status
Not open for further replies.

waikikigun

I noticed that WLT is currently not listing"Dominican ligero" but they are listing some "Piloto Cubano Ligero," which is Dominican.

Anyone know how close these are based on actual experience with both? Easy to assume they're nearly identical, but maybe they're not.

Or anyone know when the "Dominican ligero" will be back in stock?

Corojo seco is also currently not listed. Anyone know when that one's due back in?

Thank you.

Smokin Harley

the difference between the specific "dominican" and specific "criollo98" is exactly as different as apples and oranges. Or even lets get closer to the matter and say a Bosc pear and a Bartlett..or Anjou . Doesn't matter where its grown , its different ,plain and simple .

waikikigun

More appropriate analogy, imho, since the "Dominican ligero" doesn't list a seed, is "The difference between a Bartlett and a pear." Kinda leaves you going, "Uh, okay, but anyone know anything about that "pear"?

Anyway, thanks guys, sounds like I can def not use the piloto as a sub in this particular blend.

Raodwarior

If you switch out to Piloto imo you get a bit more sweetness in the cigar, kind of a bit more cream note. I prefer the piloto in my blends over the straight Dominican ligero.

Hope that helps

waikikigun

Thanks, Raod. That's helpful to know. What sort of blends are you using it in? What sort of wrapper?

Raodwarior

I use piloto ligero, viso, and seco with a nic binder in my Connecticut, as well as some piloto ligero in my Cameroon as well, for my bolder stuff I prefer Corojo, Criollo, or Nic Habano as fill with either a Dominican or Connecticut Broadleaf binder then wrap with Corojo, Habano, or Maduro.

waikikigun

Cool, thanks. The blend I'm running out of the viso for is an Ec. Shade-wrapped thing. Good to hear you're using the piloto in your CT.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Clay Cigars

I decided that this was a good thread in which to mention my homemade Henry Clay cigar. Henry Clay (not the newer Honduran clones) has always been considered "the other Dominican cigar." Rather than the mild and somewhat bland sticks commonly expected from a "Dominican" cigar, Henry Clay is potent. Their smoothest version is the Henry Clay Breva Fina, wrapped in CT Broadleaf. They're pricey.

This morning, I rolled a single bunch of entirely WLT Piloto Cubano viso, including the double binder. This was wrapped in WLT Habano 2000. Boom! A Henry Clay Breva Fina!

For some inexplicable reason, the substitution of Habano 2000 for the CT Broadleaf seems to make little difference. The filler and binder dominate. Piloto Cubano seco has a nutty aroma. Piloto Cubano viso does not. And it lacks the nicotine roundhouse punch associated with an all Nicaraguan Habano viso. Power without the hiccups and sweats.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.