Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Does the stem drying step affect smoking quality of the tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Flue Cure Chart.jpg

I was just wondering if there's a difference in tobacco that just went through the drying phase at 136/137 and then allowed to stem dry at ambient temperatures, compared to tobacco that has gone through the stem drying phase at 165 as well.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I am going to guess and say no. Some of the leaf I've flue cured I've only taken up to about 130F. It tasted the same as any other flue cured.

burge

I do know the sticks and stems have some of the best flavour in the tobacco. One day I shredded some stems of the lemon and it was actually wuite good Some of the stes are almost black others are wood coloured the wood colours is what i smoked so now I try to shred some stem in with the baccy I found it to be a little sweeter than the leaf and adds to the taste

DGBAMA

Some of the aging enzymes are killed off in the leaf when temp goes over 149 degrees. Effectively stabilizing the flue cure. At less than 140, the tobacco will continue to age and change over time at a more natural rate. I've never run a direct comparison myself, but that is my understanding.

ChinaVoodoo

Some of the aging enzymes are killed off in the leaf when temp goes over 149 degrees. Effectively stabilizing the flue cure. At less than 140, the tobacco will continue to age and change over time at a more natural rate. I've never run a direct comparison myself, but that is my understanding.

It would be interesting to compare air cured, flue cured without stem drying, and flue cured with stem drying.

ringanator

I personally skip stem dry phase I use the moisture left in the stem to rehydrate the crispy leaf during fermentation process @ 135 °f I also dry my leaf @ 135° with RH @ 15-20%

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I am going to guess and say no. Some of the leaf I've flue cured I've only taken up to about 130F. It tasted the same as any other flue cured.

i agree last year i could only reach 120... and my stuff was fine,,, but im not a picky guy... anything grown and free. beats a bag of store bought bacca any day

DGBAMA

First year flue curing I only ran about 130. Still looked and tasted good, but after 6 months, even the brightest cure was turning brown.

Last year, I went full 160, and 8 months later the bright color is stable.

Can't say if there is a flavor difference, don't have any of the old to compare.

ringanator

I am going to add to my previous comment if I flue cure and don't ferment I run steam dry @ 165 for 24 hr I notice it kind of acts like toasting by releasing the ammonia opening the chamber 12 hr into this process will burn your eyes with the nasty gasses produced 20hr it starts to smell sweet like rasins and the tobacco produced this method resembles Canadian style cigarettes (less cigary flavor) so there is a definite flavor difference also bringing tobacco to this temp locks the color and I do believe prevents it from fermentation while in storage

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I am going to add to my previous comment if I flue cure and don't ferment I run steam dry @ 165 for 24 hr I notice it kind of acts like toasting by releasing the ammonia opening the chamber 12 hr into this process will burn your eyes with the nasty gasses produced 20hr it starts to smell sweet like rasins and the tobacco produced this method resembles Canadian style cigarettes (less cigary flavor) so there is a definite flavor difference also bringing tobacco to this temp locks the color and I do believe prevents it from fermentation while in storage

That is a very interesting statement, it's a snus cook. Really makes me think about all the parallels.

ChinaVoodoo

What do you mean by running "steam dry"?

ringanator

sorry china what i mean by "running" steam dry is on my flue controller i have each stage ( leaf yellow,wilt,leaf dry and steam dry) as separate programs, i upload and run each program to the controller as needed.

ChinaVoodoo

sorry china what i mean by "running" steam dry is on my flue controller i have each stage ( leaf yellow,wilt,leaf dry and steam dry) as separate programs, i upload and run each program to the controller as needed.

So it's something like 165F and 15% humidity?

Gmac

I never run mine over 149 degrees, and then use Amax's fermenting method with very little moisture. It looses it's yellow and turns light redish brown. good flavor, mild and good smell. Like Boboro would say, "hit don't lay around here long enough to get aged."

Status
Not open for further replies.