Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chicken manure experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Iv`e decided to make an experiment with some of my tobacco. I will use well fermented chicken fertilizer, worked into the soil before I plant all my tobacco, but will use the same fertilizer all through the growing season on some off my plants, nothing else!!! Are there growers that only use natural fertilizers? On the others I will use Potash nitrate and Limestone Ammoniam Nitrate.

Smokin Harley

It would greatly depend on your soil type , structure and fertility ,pH,etc . Our soil here is basically a slightly alkaline, limey/ clayey type with whatever I amend with. Treat it as if you're growing tomatoes. Same family. Since we're only after the leaf, I started my plants with Superthrive(with kelp)and 1/2 strength miracle grow but I make sure I use a lot of nitrogen and wood ash as the season goes on, hold off fertilizing about the time it flowers. BUT, thats what worked for ME, HERE. I doubt very much I could improve what I got my first try . If it got any better , I don't think I could keep up.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
2 years or 3 yrs/. ago i went very heavy on the chicken fertilizer.. in my blog there you can see a mountain of chicken fertilizer i spread thru the garden for that year,,

allthough mine was mixed heavilly with sawdust [ it was a cleanout from a chicken hathery;;]

it did good... but personally in my eyes you cant go wrong with throwing any type of poop in your garden.. [ you just got to make sure it aint '' too hot '' ]

some poop gathred will have all kinds of '' weed seed '' mixed in it just got to watch for that....

been there done that in the past,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I tried horse manure one year, introduced weeds I'd never had before. I'm a big fan now of 10-10-10 in the soil and miracle grow on the leaf now. I'm over 6'and I had leaves that went from my neck nearly to my knees and covered my torso.

Whatever works best for ya I guess. Although I will say the biggest plants (toms) I'd ever seen were grown in mushroom compost side dressed with chicken manure

juan carlos

buddy of mine is a chicken farmer, he puts it on his hay field. ever seen a 6' tall alfalfa plant? i have...

you should be able to send a soil sample to DA (district agriculturalist) for analysis. they don't charge for that around here, maybe you will be as lucky! They can tell you exactly what and how much to use.

rustycase

Thats why horse manure should never be used , it does not go through enough "processing" as through a cow.

Yep! My BIL was a college ejukated cowman. He said cow dropping are better, for that reason.

Just so happens that horse droppings are ez for me to get, not cow paddies... figgers.

Best
rc

Status
Not open for further replies.