Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When steaming with the tobacco held in a colander or wire strainer, any condensation on the lid or on the tobacco itself will cause dripping back into the pot of water. The best way to minimize this is to:
  • be sure that the colander or strainer is suspending the tobacco well above the water, rather than touching the water
  • place a lid over the pot, in an effort to keep the contents near the top from cooling, and condensing the steam
  • perhaps insulate the lid, by securing a folded dish towel on top of it
If the discoloration of the water is like a weak tea, then I would not worry about it. If instead it is viscous and dark, then much of your nicotine (and likely other solubles) has been lost.

When using canning jars, I sometimes have a small quantity of thick, syrupy liquid in the bottom of the jar. At the time I spread the cooked tobacco to dry, I drip that liquid back onto the leaf.

Bob

DaleB

When using canning jars, I sometimes have a small quantity of thick, syrupy liquid in the bottom of the jar. At the time I spread the cooked tobacco to dry, I drip that liquid back onto the leaf.
I just turned the jars over for half an hour or so. That seemed to let the liquid more evenly distribute through the contents before I opened them up.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20201110_5536_Cavendish3JarsInverted_700.jpg

These jars were cooked at the same time as the One Sucker from the previous post. They have been inverted like this for 3 days now. As you can see, the leaf is all quite wet, but there is no free liquid that has dripped to the bottom. The jar of Peru ligero was filled with more tobacco leaf than the others.

Up at the top (the bottom of the jars) the leaf has cooked slightly darker, which I assume is a combination of slightly greater moisture and slightly greater heat up against the jar bottoms resting in the pot. The phenomenon of the wet leaf not dripping is a demonstration of what is called the "perched water table" when applied to soil. The inherent capillarity of the tobacco leaf (or the soil) determines how tall the column of water will remain within the leaf (or soil), no matter if there is space for the water to drain.

Once removed, and spread to dry, the VA Bright Cavendish will darken from greater oxygen exposure. The burley and Peru ligero may or may not darken further.

The One Sucker Cavendish is nearly all dried and bagged. Once it's all in the bag, and the cookie sheet is free, I'll open another jar--probably Peru, since I'm really curious about its aroma.

Bob
Yup.