Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

johnlee1933

Founding Member
OK guys, I just completed the first pressure cooker test run. I used a standard 15 PSI, stainless steel pressure cooker. I put two leaves (de-ribbed) of MD609 in a small china bowl. At first I went at 5 and 10 minute goes. As you can see from the first pics at 0 and +15 minutes not much was happening. I went to 30 min runs and finally a 60. So the pics, in order, are 0,15,145 and 345 minutes. At about the 60 minute mark an unusual but not unpleasant aroma developed. I can't describe it. The bowl stayed mostly dry. At the end of the run I poured off an ounce or two of dark brown liquid slightly more viscous than water. The leaf held together well and does not look like cooked spinach. I will let it sit in a strainer over night and if it is dry enough will press it tomorrow morning.

More will follow as I learn it.

IMG_1617 - Copy.JPGIMG_1619 - Copy.JPGIMG_1621 - Copy.JPGIMG_1623 - Copy.JPG

John

johnlee1933

Founding Member
This is a great thread I am going to take over the kitchen tomorrow. Would tonight but the rugrats are strange about smells etc,
With a wife and rugrats I hope you have a good exhaust fan. If you have a gas grill why not give it a go outside?

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Nice work, John. Whether steaming in a colander, or pressure cooking, making black Cavendish still seems like an all day project. 345 minutes still comes out to 5 hours 45 minutes. It looks like the pressure method can get the tobacco to a dark black in the same amount of time the steam method achieves a deep brown.

I believe that my largest pressure cooker--a big canning model--might be able to process maybe 2 pounds of carefully bundled leaf.

Anyone trying either method should thoroughly dry the tobacco prior to storage. If you put it away with that comfy soft feel of commercial black Cavendish, it will mold in a flash.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Nice work, John. Whether steaming in a colander, or pressure cooking, making black Cavendish still seems like an all day project. 345 minutes still comes out to 5 hours 45 minutes. It looks like the pressure method can get the tobacco to a dark black in the same amount of time the steam method achieves a deep brown.

I believe that my largest pressure cooker--a big canning model--might be able to process maybe 2 pounds of carefully bundled leaf.

Anyone trying either method should thoroughly dry the tobacco prior to storage. If you put it away with that comfy soft feel of commercial black Cavendish, it will mold in a flash.

Bob
I guess my steam method was flawed. I went 14 hours and didn't get really dark. Would you like a pipe full or two to try?

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A small sample would be fun. As for the timing of the steam method, I suspect that it not only depends on the seal of the lid and fit of the colander, but also on the variety of the leaf, as well as the degree of aging already achieved. Who knows?

Bob

Boboro

OK guys, I just completed the first pressure cooker test run. I used a standard 15 PSI, stainless steel pressure cooker. I put two leaves (de-ribbed) of MD609 in a small china bowl. At first I went at 5 and 10 minute goes. As you can see from the first pics at 0 and +15 minutes not much was happening. I went to 30 min runs and finally a 60. So the pics, in order, are 0,15,145 and 345 minutes. At about the 60 minute mark an unusual but not unpleasant aroma developed. I can't describe it. The bowl stayed mostly dry. At the end of the run I poured off an ounce or two of dark brown liquid slightly more viscous than water. The leaf held together well and does not look like cooked spinach. I will let it sit in a strainer over night and if it is dry enough will press it tomorrow morning.

More will follow as I learn it.

View attachment 1797View attachment 1798View attachment 1799View attachment 1800

John
I hope you did'nt cook all the nicotine out of it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With black Cavendish, the goal is a dark-colored, very, very mild tobacco with a fairly neutral flavor. It is rarely smoked straight. Many pipe tobacco blenders use it to take the edge off of harsher blend ingredients, as well as to soak up any flavorings used for aromatic blends. Shredded black Cavendish creates an attractive visual appeal when blended with a lemon Virginia and a medium-brown burley. When smoked alone, unflavored black Cavendish is bland and uninteresting. Most commercially available "pure" black Cavendish is lightly cased with vanilla and other minor flavorings.

Bob

Steve2md

^^^What Bob said^^^ the Black is a nice, smooth "filler" (like bread crumbs in meatloaf) Adds substance, without body or heavy flavor. It will suck up any casing you use like there is no tomorrow, and that is usually where the aromatics usually come from in commercial blends.

Seanz

I thought has much The missus wants something like what altadis put out a real choc heavy sweet smelling smoke, but though it smelt nice it was way to gunky for me. I am not a big aro fan at the best of times. though the last brew i made is somewhat aromatic though still has a tobacco taste to it.

Steve2md

You might try a little honey and brandy or whisk(e)y (depending on taste) as a casing. maybe a drop or two of vanilla. You'll get the aro of vanilla and honey, very light honey/whiskey/brandy/whatever flavor, plenty of tobacco flavor to power through. only case your black and you'll be all set to please everyone!

Seanz

I have been thinking of a whiskey honey casing But its fun to try different things and I am not too concerned about room note as i dont smoke in the main living areas just my study and outside

Steve2md

I prefer a "Canadian" whiskey called Pendelton, strong vanilla note, fairly sweet to drink with just ice cubes. I tend to drink single malt scotch or Irish whiskies, but I LOVE pendelton for casing. it can't be beat IMO.