Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Coolerdor Build

dvick003

I am acquiring far more home-rolled and commercial stogies than I originally thought. I need a lot of storage space. Anybody got a set of instructions or sage-like advice on how to make a top-notch coolerdor? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks guys!

Gdaddy

You can simply use cigar boxes for storage. Spanish cedar to line a large cooler will be fairly costly.

Living in Florida I have pretty big temperature swings so I opted for a wineador that has temp control. Pulled the wire racks out and built cedar drawers. It has a glass door so I can look at the hygrometer without opening the door.

Wine coolers can be had pretty reasonably off Craigs list.

You might want to consider putting the cooleridor down in the basement for a constant temperature from summer to winter. I don't have a basement so the electric wine cooler was a better choice for me.

dvick003

No basement for me either Gdaddy. I like your setup. Gonna take a look on Craigslist and see what I can find.

charlie G.

I've always wanted to get a Wineador. But I'm always nervous about buying a used wine cooler off Craigs list.

Smokin Harley

I had one pass me by ... very cheap , would have been a steal actually. I would have to think most of these get very little use because I know when I bottle of wine gets in OUR house, the clock is ticking and it doesn't get much time to need a coolerdor. BUT. I would have to say -if you can , request it be plugged in and running when you go to look at it.

Gdaddy

I bought two and they have worked fine for several years.

FYI...The cooling system is a pretty simple device to replace if it should happen to stop working. It's called a Peltier cooling device. Total silent operation. You don't want a compressor unit. Take a look at this video to see the procedure.

Gdaddy

That was easy enough. I wonder if they make humidity and temp controlled wine coolers?

There are units that add moisture 'up' but don't really regulate up and down.

By using silica beads (I use inexpensive kitty litter) you can easily regulate the RH while the wine cooler maintains a steady 66 degrees. A much easier and economical way to go. You'd want to use this in a coolador also. My humidor stays 66 degrees and 63% year after year steady as a rock.

BTW... this is how museums maintain valuable works of art. The silica has the ability to add or subtract moisture which makes it unique.

Gdaddy

What kitty litter are you using? My cat's litter is made from clay as far as I can tell...

Many cat litters are clay but that's not the right stuff. You want the crystals that are porous silica.

I use 'Mimi crystals' from Walmart for around $5 for 4 lbs.

k2-_9ddb4ea0-5c75-4862-8d00-056e9dfb0ea0.v1.jpg

They will need to be acclimated/adjusted to your target RH. This is a simple procedure where you add or remove moisture to achieve a specific rh.

Place the crystals in an open container or flat pan and use a good amount. (you can't use to much) and place it in your humidor along with a calibrated hygrometer and all your cigars. The more mass the better. Don't open the door for several days.

If the rh is too low use distilled water on a damp paper towel or damp sponge and place it the humidor and let the moisture evaporate into the air. The crystals will absorb the moisture from the air. Repeat if needed. It will take several days but the rh will rise slowly and safely. Take your time as there is no rush. Never apply water directly to the crystals! They don't like that.

If the rh is too high you need to remove moisture from the crystals. Remove the crystals from the humidor and place them in an oven at a low temp to dry them for an hour or so. I like to put them in a bowl and microwave them. One minute blast and then remove the bowl and stir them with a spoon and watch the steam evaporate into the air. Repeat this several times or until no more steam is visible upon stirring. Let them cool to room temperature and place them back into the humidor. The micro pours will be thirsty sucking in the moisture from the air pretty quickly.

Once the rh becomes stable the crystals will then be acclimated to a specific rh. They will add and remove moisture and help to retain that rh. Sometimes small adjustments must be made but it's very easy to correct. If you need further help let me know but it's an easy procedure that works very well.

First Warrior

I also use kitty litter to regulate humidity. I pour the litter in knee high panty hose socks till I get about the size of an apple and tie a slip knot. When I want to dry the litter out i just put the sock on the dashboard of my truck for a day. If the litter is in a sock it seems to be easier to manage and takes up less space in the humidor.

dvick003

Wow. I am glad to know that cat litter has another use besides taking a dump in it. Thanks for all the great info guys. I will be picking up some silica bead cat litter tomorrow.

Doogie

I haven't seen humidity controls but they sell wineadors. I made one I tossed it, problem with cooling is condensation on the inside at times.

I I made a very cheap coolerdor using the new weatherproof rubbermade, it has an air tight seal and they are big. Just keep an eye on you RH. I noticed it can at times go above you mark (don't want mold now). Just burp them now and then. I'll post a pic soon when I get back home.

LewZephyr

I I made a very cheap coolerdor using the new weatherproof rubbermade, it has an air tight seal and they are big.

What exactly are you using? When I did a search for weatherproof rubbermaid it returned the ActionPacker which looks more like a storage box than a air tight container.

Thanks.

Doogie

I'm sorry it's ziplock brand I aware it was a Rubbermaid. I'll use Spanish ceded trays from Amazon. It works out nice, I just use it as bulk storage as my humidors are packed 300 and 50 count. Here's a pic
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I have a digital and an analog in there, well I don't know what else to do with the analog lol.
RH% is down because I was organizing my sticks. In the first picture you can see the seal.

Doogie

One thing with sealed plastic is you don't need a lot of crystals, or bovada packets. it will take a a couple days for the RH to hit its mark bit don't over humidify it. Once the wood soaks up the moisture it's stable. I like to burp it once a week, get some fresh air in there. It takes care of itself!

And sorry for misleading you on the brand. If you have any questions let me know!

Smokin Harley

I'm picking up a used wine cooler in a couple hours. So far I'm told by the seller that it is fully functional. Looks to be a decent size. I'll be looking up how to covert it to a larger scale hi-tech humidor.