Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: steaming up some leaf today

well, JBD said the juice (and special sauce) would end up pressing out anyway , so as not to waste either,I'm waiting until the pressing it done.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Cutting the cavendish ... I ended up with a 1/2 inch flat pancake about 3 inches by 5 inches of pressed leaf which consisted of (all air cured and kilned )-Madole , PA Red tips ,Criollo 98 mudlugs, and Va Gold . Steamed 8 hours . Pressed 4 days. Juice poured off (but saved !)
    I hand cut the cake lengthwise with my chaveta into 1/3's then across the short way at 1/8" or smaller slices, let them dry a little bit before rubbing it out. It rather balls up loosely then it will fall into the short ribbons while rubbing. I laid out the loose cut on a piece of aluminum foil and let it sit under a lamp to speed drying. The first 1/3 I left as unflavored and my wife says it smells great.

The second 1/3 I added a casing or top flavoring consisting of (rough measures) -
    1 oz + 1 tsp Birddog Whiskey (Peach) ,
    1/2 tsp Jaegermeister (for the licorice flavor and adding sweetness)
    1/4 tsp real vanilla extract
    1 tbsp raw honey
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1/2 tsp P.G.
    so far what I added smells about right but may add more after a test bowl and see if the flavor or aroma is strong enough -then also I will see about the nicotine and if need be , I'll add a little of the black juice back in .

The last 1/3 I don't know what to add as flavorings yet...I'd like to figure out how to get to a Creme brulee'....any ideas?
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

I found if it has just the right amount of moisture, pressing will not squeeze much juice out. One of the reasons I stove/bake in jars in the oven. (Another one is that after it cooled down the jar is practically vacuum-sealed, so I can store it as it is for long).

I had a batch recently which was for some reason too moist - lost quite a bit of liquid already in the oven (the jar boiled over), then more during pressing, but the flavour wasn't negatively affected.

Did you test the cased batch already? How's it?

I normally stove mine from sun-cured or flue-cured Oriental, which contains a lot of sugar to start with, and since I'm more into the cigarish-side of the spectrum, I find the result right sweet. Actually very similar to the best commercial examples of stoved Virginia.

I also prepared some from a mixture of aged cigar leaf (mostly Havana Corojo), fire-cured and kilned leaf plus various Orientals (all leftovers from previous experiments and several years old). I again did not add any sugar. It came out less sweet than the other, but still sweet enough and smooth, and the Havana spice is still there.

For the last 1/3 I would say keep it for the moment unflavoured as well, smoke a few bowls of the whisky/sugar/honey batch and see how much you like it, take your notes, than you have enough if you suddenly feel like you want to make adjustments.

Also, allow the flavours to mend for a while. I re-moistened some dry Oriental a year ago with rum (just added about 10% of tobacco weight to the jar with the ribbon cut), when I opened it a while ago I was astonished how much the rum aroma had penetrated the leaf - it's really dominating the smoke's flavour and smell now.

I haven't tried it yet. Letting it sit for a few days . Its supposed to be very nice out this weekend and a sunny 60 degree day on the front porch should be perfect for a test smoke.
    I pressed BigBonner's perique sample I've had for a few months now. Been saving it for this point in time . I will cut that up today and maybe do a one or 2 bowl pinch for some of the unflavored portion of the batch .
    Now is the fun time and enjoyment for all the hard work growing this leaf all summer. I can't wait until late April-early May to get the seed flats going again.

sh, I've steamed leaf in a trout steamer, with a bunch of eucalyptus leaves tossed into the water.
    A bunch will give the baccy a definite menthol note... half that, well, it seems to just mellow the burley, without a notice-able menthol flavor.
    Takes the edge off my burley.
    YMMV
    rc

Bigbonner's perique styled leaf is really good in a blend ! My guess is you'll like it, in some selected amount.

check my latest post on BigBonners Perique thread. Minutes ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12