Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tech 1 gears; Lucas Polish Shredders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpine

Re: Teck 1 gear measurements

Bex, i bought the same machine from Lukas, not arrived yet... Please keep posting about yours, will save me time and efforts! I'm curious about glycerine, does it work? I would much prefer to use it instead of olive oil or some chemical stuff, both can alter taste... What about glycerine? Is it tasteless?
thanks

Pier

Bex

My handle is 5-7/8 inches long, and looks exactly like yours does. I ended up mounting mine to a piece of heavy wood that I can clamp wherever I decide I want to shred.
For the sake of Pier, I will advise of my experience. First, Lucas was great to work with - he answered all of my stupid questions (mostly regarding transportation to me, etc.). I suppose I was somewhat 'biased' having used a Teck 1, where you could turn the cutting wheel with one finger. I had kind of assumed that Lucas' machine would be similar. When I first unwrapped it, and tried to turn the handle, I initially thought something was wrong or jammed. There was no way that I could envision just putting this shredder on to a table, and turning the handle to shred tobacco. In any event, my friend and I made a mount for this - basically a piece of 2x4 that is about 12 inches long. I found that the handle of my machine was too long to clear whatever the machine was resting on, and had to be elevated. So, we mounted it on the 2x4 so that the shredder is at the end of the piece of wood. This way, the handle can be rotated fully. The shredder sits on one end of the 2x4, and I can clamp the piece of wood to whatever surface I plan to use, with the other end. If you want, I can post a photo.
Anyway, before I used it, I gave it a light coating with glycerin, using a basting brush (my Xmas turkey will taste great now....). When I did my first few leaves (and fortunately smoked a cigarette from them before I shredded too much) I found that there was a bit of a 'machine oil' taste to the tobacco. The blades were nice and shiny where I had been feeding in the tobacco, and blackish at either end of the rollers - so I imagine that whatever was that blackish stuff (glycerin plus aluminum??) had gone on to the tobacco. I don't know if this is some kind of protective coating or something done in the manufacture of the rollers, but it has now disappeared from the blades (actually, I will admit that I shredded a piece of thin copy paper through the shredder to see if there was any reason why the initial tobacco shred tasted machine-y, which is how I found the black residue. I don't know if my coating of glycerin exacerbated this or not, or if I just put too much glycerin on the rollers initially, as the difficulty in turning the handle confused me. Normally ( :) ) I don't mind the taste of glycerin - it is slightly sweet and not unpleasant.
I would certainly like some more instructions on this, Randy, if you have the patience. For example, I would like to know how you attached your drill after removing the handle. My drill will not catch the round tube that the bolt for the handle threads into, nor will it open wide enough just to catch the bolt, either.

Aside from all my shenanigans - all of which will sort themselves out, I will say this...first of all, Lucas was great to deal with. He must be sitting on top of his computer, because I had barely hit the send button with my queries when I got an answer from him. Second, the quality of the machining of this shredder is top notch - it is really heavy duty, and not flimsy like most of the others that I have seen. Most importantly, the shred is amazingly perfect - not one bit of tobacco went through the rollers unshredded - it was the best shred I ever did. Even with turning the handle manually, I can see how you can shred a load of tobacco really fast with this. Once I get the drill thing worked out, the speed of shredding my week's worth will be lightning, and I will probably end up shredding a lot more in one sitting, as it won't be so tiring to do.
While this shredder was probably more expensive than I initially wanted to spend on a replacement for my Teck 1, I will say that it (at least for now - remember, I've only had this for about 8 hours or so!!) I'm glad I got it.....

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

Bex, To use a dill you will need to get a metric bolt, M10-1.25 by about 2 inches long. Also get 2 nuts for the bolt. Cut off the bolt head, thread it into the hole for the handle. Use the 2 nuts to lock the bolt into place, other wise it will keep threading into the hole making it almost impossible to un-thread. You should then be able to feed your drill chuck over the bolt, tighten the chuck and drill (I mean .. shred) away!

Brown Thumb

Watch your fingers now, Girl.
Jitterbugdude, Why did you tell her to hook a drill to it?
She will have a shredder grinding steel Chains next :cool:l

Bex

Funny!!! Strangely enough, I actually worked out having to put a nut on the shaft so that the bolt would not thread in too tight last night....when I used my socket wrench to turn the handle. A bit easier than the handle on its own. I do like the size of the shred - really perfect. And by this morning, the shred I did had lost all of that 'machine' taste. I am well pleased with this thing, and after watching the video (in the thread, 'the best shredder ever, etc), can also see that you could fashion a feed tray on the top of this, etc. My next question (of course) will deal with how you clean it. And how often. Or do you ever? My pea brain was already looking to see how you take this apart, clean the combs, clean the rollers, etc. Seems fairly straightforward, although probably realigning the combs back into the rollers might be a bit fiddly. The drill will be pretty cool to do - although I must admit I only shred about a week's worth of stuff at a time, so even turning the handle for that short a period of time won't be too difficult. I've got the M10-1.25 bolt on my shopping list. And yes, the two nuts, as well.....;) Thanks again!!

Bex

I've just done my weekly shred with this. I can see how the drill would be a bit 'problematic' and cause jams, as you wouldn't know when you're shoving too tobacco into the rollers. I found that by doing this manually (and it was fun) you can tell right away if you are stressing the machine. It eats through individual leaves like butter, but a clump of tobacco might be a problem. Although I know few people do this, I was used to shredding my burley midribs with the Teck 1 as well and smoking them - while Lucas' machine has absolutely no problem shredding the midrib, because it is shredding 'longitudinally', rather than laterally, you end up with thin, long sticks of midrib. So, I can see that my midribs will have to go....:( I can also see that having some kind of 'feed chute' on the top of this would be pleasant, as you could just move the leaf toward the rollers, without actually having to feed them in. Of course, with the feed chute and drill, I would end up with few fingers in no time.....
All in all, I am tremendously pleased with this, and thank you for the recommendation. Lucas was a dream to work with, and trust me, as you well know, I can be a pain in the ass. He dealt with all my questions without any impatience!! And the shred (0.8mm) is just perfect, with no chunks or bits anywhere - everything is perfectly shredded. I love this thing........

Edit: In re-reading my post, I just realized that perhaps if I feed my burley leaves in sideways, rather than up and down, I will be able to save my beloved midribs and smoke them. And I thought I was just a pretty face....ha!

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

Bex, You could also take your leaves and just tear them in to quarters, that way the midribs will be a lot shorter

Bex

A good suggestion. I'll have to try this today...it will give me an excuse to use the shredder again, rather than having to wait until next week to shred some more. I can't thank you enough for recommending this - I doubt I'll ever have to buy another shredder again.....

Of course, a couple of more questions - naturally. Are you only putting your glycerin or lube on the gears, or are you actually putting it on the rollers? Do you take this apart to clean it? Or actually, do you ever need to clean it? Is there any maintenance that you do on it?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

Are you only putting your glycerin or lube on the gears, or are you actually putting it on the rollers? Do you take this apart to clean it? Or actually, do you ever need to clean it? Is there any maintenance that you do on it?

I have 2 shredders, a manual one like you have (but with a 1.6 mm shred) and a larger one that is motorized. I've never done anything to the manual one but the big one I've dumped glycerine on the rollers right where they meet the cutters. I've also poured some Vodka on it once to clean the gunk. It seems pretty maintenance free though. The little bit of glycerine, or mineral oil should go a long way to preventing any rust from developing.

I'm not sure how often I will use an "oil" on the big shredder. Still playing around with it and I've had it since last February.

Brown Thumb

The combs should keep it cleaned.
My shredder head is from Lucus also and is rusting from cleaning jambs with water, beer, ect.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

Maybe try some Everclear to clean things up. The alcohol should evaporate rather quickly preventing rust from forming. You could always sell the liquid to Boboro..:)

Bex

Well, I have been trying to get this shredder sorted, and either I need to start eating a bigger breakfast, or mine has a problem. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to, other than what I see on the internet, youtube, etc. My question is, just how easy (or difficult) is it to turn this shredder by hand? Unless my shredder is mounted, it is impossible to turn the handle at all, without seriously gripping the base of it. And I mean seriously. I think that there was something amiss with this, when I first got it, as the handle was too long (so that if you just had it sitting level on a table, you couldn't turn the handle 360* as it was too long to clear the table). I am wondering if perhaps a 'new employee' with Lucas put this together, and this is the first one that he made....:)
I have tried to run this thing with my drill. OK, my drill is not a big, huge, heavy thing - it is a nice 12v legitimate drill, with 19 settings for torque, able to rev up to 1500 rpm. When I try to run the shredder, the drill actually tries to revolve in my hands - I need two hands to hold it, and when I am able to turn the rollers, it is nothing like Jitterbug's you tube vid. I contacted Lucas to see if perhaps this thing is adjusted too tight, if there is any way to loosen it up, etc., and he, while very friendly, is just referring me back here to the forum and 'previous customers'.
I love the shred that this thing produces. And certainly can continue to struggle along with it manually. I have found that, if, for example, I try to put two leaves through it together at one time, it is impossible - I don't have the strength to do it. This can't possibly be right.
By the way, just as an aside, I have put a piece of tubing around the handle - I forget what the technical name is, but the handle does not 'turn in your hand' when it is rotating, so you constantly have to loosen your grip as it turns, if you know what I mean. Of course, this does't impact the actual turning of the rollers. But it does stop me from tearing up my hand, which I did already! It would be nice for Lucas to add this 'improvement' to his next design.....

Anyway, I would really like to get this thing to work properly for me, but assume that I'm going to have to get my info from here. I contacted Lucas about ordering a set of spare combs, and he recommended that I order THREE, for the princely sum of £75. I didn't follow up.....;)

Thanks for any advice anyone may have!!

Bex

I am going up to my neighbor's tomorrow to borrow his torque wrench so I can determine exactly how much torque is needed to turn this thing. If anyone has this shredder, and a torque wrench handy, I'd be curious to know what's needed to get your rollers to turn....;)

Brown Thumb

Take the combs out and clean them.
Just Set the combs in and do not tighten the top bolts that push the comb into the roller.
Just tighten the bolts that hold the comb to the face.
I took my top bolts and washers out permently, they cause a lot of binding by tightening them down 1/4 turn like he says to do.

Brown Thumb

You might want to soak the whole thing in warm water to clean out the rollers also.
The rollers do not cut per say, they smash the leaf in between each roller slot and the comb cleans the shred out.
It takes a lot of hp and torque to turn these bigger heads.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member

Bex, I think BT nailed it. I e never had that problem on my manuL shredder but it is a 1.6 mm cut for pipe. My big one is .8 mm and it has jammed jet like you described. CleN and readjust the combs.

How much to tobacco do you figure you've shred?

Last edited:

Brown Thumb

I would think the shredder was made to be mounted to a table with the handle hanging over the edge of the table.
Not mounted I would think it would not be easy to use.
If the drill handle is shorter than what was on it, that is the reason it wants to twist in your hands.

AmaxB

Just seen your thread sorry to hear about your Teck 1. I don't think mine was used much no real sign of wear on it and I shredded a few leaves when I first got it. Other then that it sits on a shelf. Seems like you got all your measurements. But as Jitter pointed out these were not made in batch runs. So I would think they could very...
I have to tell people not to touch it because they don't know about the blades and mine could take a finger tip no sweat.

Bex

I think I've only used the new shredder about 5 times (usually once weekly) - so not a tremendous amount of tobacco has gone through it - maybe about a pound, at most. I will try this, following BT's instructions, taking the combs out, cleaning them, and then reinstalling. But let's make sure that I get this right (understanding which bolts you are talking about).
I have bolts on each side of the machine, which I assume are the top bolts that you are talking about that push the combs into the roller...??? If so, I don't have any washers there, just the bolts. I also assume that the bolts that hold the combs to the 'face' are the ones underneath, that run along the length of the roller, holding the combs in place. Is that correct? So the bolts that you have removed (and not reinstalled) are the 4 bolts (2 on each side) that are on the sides of the shredder itself? And the bolts that you have reinstalled are (I guess obviously) the 6 bolts - 3 on each roller - for the combs.
I need to do a shred tonight, and will do it (suffering) as I normally do. I'll check back here to make sure I know which bolts you are talking about. And then I'll take the combs out, clean them, and maybe soak the whole thing in warm water.
Funnily enough, I've seen this shredder (or similar) mounted on to the center of tables - this would have been impossible for me to do, due to the length of that handle. I really can't imagine that the handle is supposed to be that long, but I can work around it, as I have the whole thing mounted up on that piece of 2x4. It's the turning of the handle that's the bugger. I'm not sure I understand the idea that 'if the drill handle is shorter than what was on it' would make the drill turn in my hand. What I ended up having to try (as I originally took a 2 inch bolt, cut off the bolt head, inserted it with a couple of nuts to stop it from locking it, but then, of course, my drill wouldn't catch on the round threaded part of the bolt) was taking a shorter 13mm bolt, screwing it in with 2 or 3 nuts on the shaft, and catching the end of the bolt with a socket that was fed into my drill, and trying to turn the rollers this way.....

Status
Not open for further replies.