Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tech 1 gears; Lucas Polish Shredders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bex

While I'm probably not the person who should respond to this, logically it appears that the width of the shred (which is what I assume you're talking about) is dictated by the spacing in between the cutters on the rollers. The combs themselves just clear out the spaces. I guess that perhaps, over time, the little cutters themselves wear, and that would make the space in between them wider. Even Lucas sells replacement rollers.
I should also say that with Lucas shredder, it is so 'industrial' that the leaf does not have to be perfectly dry in order to shred it, so that varying case, within reason, is no problem. While I don't understand the logic of how the food oil keeps the spaces on the rollers clear, it certainly does - perhaps just by lubricating all so that the shred slides out of the space instead of getting stuck in there, and then compacted by new leaf being shredded on top of it. I don't know the reason - all I know is that it works, and I have nothing clogging my rollers now.

burge

I was thinking of getting one and now I think it may not be worth it. bex just to let you know I see your from Ireland you have till the end of the month to stock up on leaf.

Bex

I have to say that, despite a rather rocky start to this purchase, Lukas was kind and great to work with. The shredder was more 'industrial' than I originally was aware of - it needs to be mounted. But it shreds through anything without any difficulty. Randy was right when he initially said that it would probably be the last shredder that I would purchase. I also have the smaller shredder that works on the roller system as a back up...and on the rare occasions that I have to use it, it's like punishment. While this Polish shredder is expensive, at least for me (I normally shred about 1k a month) it was well worth it. And Burge, yes, thanks for the heads up about the UK regulation - we've all stocked up - there is a lot of confusion about how this is going to pan out. It will be interesting to see.

burge

It would be interesting to see. I like the Powermatic but it does not give the shag cut these look kind of good but they want 50 euros to ship to Canada. Threshed tobacco the Powermatic shred is about 5 to 7 mm which a nice shred would be nice. whole leaf might be a cm and how the tobacco is cut affects its flavour

Bex

Not sure I understand your reference to 5-7mm? Are you talking about length? Lukas shred is 0.8mm in width, which is the basic standard for cigarette tobacco. The length depends on me. Have you ever seen Jitterbug's (way too short) you tube video using this shredder? I've never been able to do it with the drill, but frankly using the handle is no longer much of an issue for me: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bs3Jg5_APHk

burge

Shred with that is 1.6 mm and the drier the leaf on the Powermatic the shred width is smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.