Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

home Beer making kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Stopped in the nearby Goodwill store to peruse the glassware for one of those sealed lid apothecary type jars to store my pipe tobacco . Scored a nice one for $2... just happened to have a somewhat local fire dept logo on it so its contents are sure to smoke well .
So , while I was there I did the old look around and see what was "new" . Found a complete home beer making kit , its all there, interlock , plastic container, racking tube, 6 (plastic) bottles ,labels,instructions, and enough ingredients (yeast, hop pellets, malt,etc)to make a case of beer. In this "case" it happens to be both Amber and Pilsner, my two favorites . I've always wanted a beer kit but just couldn't pull the cash out on a kit new in a regular store that carries them regularly. This one had been opened and obviously intimidated the previous owner because everything was still sealed up in the separate bags inside. The cheapest case of beer I've ever had to build myself ,$5 .
I just hope when I get this puzzle together it looks a little like the picture on the box, and tastes like I think it should. I'd really like to try to put it up in glass bottles and spend a little for a hand capper and caps because who really wants to drink beer out of plastic?
Anyone ever try their hand at brewing their own beer with one of these kits. Comments or advice welcome.

Brown Thumb

Oh yea. Back in the day. I could not keep up to the demand tho.
I started with kits then to 5 gallon jugs. It is easy. It Just takes to long to ferment for me.
The kits actually taste pretty good. Just get some used bottles and a cap crusher.

bryonlr

I tried it many years ago, so long ago that I went to the local liquor store and bought 2 cases of empty returned bottles to use. Do they still do that? Anyway, mixed up all the stuff per directions and waited. Im thinking it took 28 days or something like that. Bottled, capped, put a case in the fridge. The next day I was ready to try it. Opening the fridge door, the first thing I noticed the caps had blown off 2 of the bottles, well at least it smelled like beer but the taste, had to lick a dogs ass to get the taste out of my mouth.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I started with a mr beer kit I received as a gift. did it a few times and bought more equipment to make it more from scratch and in bigger batches.

then I realized it's too much work unless its from a kit.

now all I make is cider, wine and mead. nice and easy and still good. and cheap, that's important to me these days hehe.

bryonlr

For the last 20 years, i've been making a pleasant beverage using spring water, sugar, corn, and yeast. :D

Matty

I've done a dozen or so beer kits over the years. Some were great, others not so much, depends what you like. My only experience has been with kits comprising of a huge can of malt and a packet of yeast. Mix all the ingredients and away it goes. The kit you got has hops pellets and stuff like that? Sounds like it could be a bit of work to get things going, especially since it sounds like a lot of boiling on the stove will need to be done. Maybe one word of advice, even though I've never tried it before, have a small taste of the wort before everything is done cooking, to get an idea of how strong the flavor is, some extra water may be added. The first beer I ever made was an Australian lager, I brewed it as 5 gallons even though the recipe was for 6. It still tasted great but was a bit too hoppy.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Although I've never done it..I have looked into it...I'd really like to try it..perhaps.grow some of the ingredients in the garden..

And if the potency is good...ill gladlly lick a dogs ass to get the taste out of my mouth.

TravisNTexas

Beware Harley!!! It's another slippery slope!!! You will be looking to buy 10 gallon stainless pot, new heat sources, and a plethora of other things in no time at all!!I love brewing. Started with a Mr. Beer kit, probably just like what you describe. I was doing 5 gallon batches by my third batch and am now doing all grain brewing.Check out the www.homebrewtalk.com forum.

Smokin Harley

Yeah, well, I'm not quite at my limit on vices just yet...plus ,I'm setting myself up for a fun retirement (in 6 years)

DIY Pete

What Travis said. I don't drink any more but when I did I brewed and it is one of "those" hobbies. Just like cigars, guns, motorcycles, cars, etc.
Pete

ChinaVoodoo

I've been making all grain beer for 15 years. I've used extract syrup type kits now and then when I didn't have time to brew. Some advice, never add sugar, except when bottling. Some kits say to add 3lbs of sugar to the kit. Instead add 3lbs of light malt extract.
Second advice, don't bottle on a scheduled time line. At 70F, if the time between bubbles escaping the air lock is 5minutes or more, you should be good to bottle. Wait two weeks at room temperature after that before drinking.

My project this winter is to build a website on how to do all grain beer for beginners. I'll keep you posted

Smokin Harley

I've been making all grain beer for 15 years. I've used extract syrup type kits now and then when I didn't have time to brew. Some advice, never add sugar, except when bottling. Some kits say to add 3lbs of sugar to the kit. Instead add 3lbs of light malt extract.
Second advice, don't bottle on a scheduled time line. At 70F, if the time between bubbles escaping the air lock is 5minutes or more, you should be good to bottle. Wait two weeks at room temperature after that before drinking.

My project this winter is to build a website on how to do all grain beer for beginners. I'll keep you posted

Thanks for that advice and I'll be watching ! By all means yes, keep me posted.

Chris A

Been brewing since 1998. Big fun. Can make whatever you like best. Lots of info on line to help you out.

FyI- I passed through Joliet today but was on the Amtrak. Business rarely takes me to Will County.

Status
Not open for further replies.