Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Which 4 strains should I grow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grgfinney

This year I only want to grow 4 strains 36 plants of each.I only want to grow strains I can't buy from Don or Larry and are high yeilding.As most of you know I am a cigarette smoker.Please post your suggestions on which varieties that I should include in next years grow based on your experiences

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Well since between Don and Larry you're covered, I'd think something condiment like. Which would make the most sense, let them do the heavy lifting with the the bread and butter strains. Honestly burley all seems pretty similar and bright leaf as well. Maybe grow some of the more rare Turkish strains. Not high yielding but that is pretty relative when you use such a small amount.

rainmax

Founding Member
I would definitely go for Prilep in your case and instead of 4x36 I would put 500 at least in closer spacing. It has smaller leaf, so lots of work but it deserves it. Would be nice to see a field of Prilep.
All the rest you can Buy from Don Larry. I wish I could buy for price you have.

I'm tired of growing many strains. Lack of space and other logistic problems...

Smokin Harley

This year I only want to grow 4 strains 36 plants of each.I only want to grow strains I can't buy from Don or Larry and are high yeilding.As most of you know I am a cigarette smoker.Please post your suggestions on which varieties that I should include in next years grow based on your experiences
High yield ...well, speaking only from one rookie year of a crop my best as far as yield were Little Dutch and Va Gold with honorable mention to Pa Red . They all have a great growth rate , give many big leaves that just don't seem to want to stop and smell extremely nice aroma while curing and then have many flavors to come out during kilning and smoke.

ChinaVoodoo

I grew two flue cured tobaccos this year. I air cured them. I can tell you Symbol 4 http://nwtseeds.com/Symbol 4.htm tastes very different from Frog Eye Orinoco http://nwtseeds.com/Frog_Eye_Orinoco.htm
Based on this limited experience, I would consider including one American heirloom flue cured, and one Ukrainian / Russian flue cured, because it will likely be more diverse of a selection.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Va bright leaf.....
Bursa...
Lemon bright...
Lizard tail.....

Alpine

Here's what i plan to grow next year (choice is based on quick maturity, good yeld and adverse weather):
dark virginia: shirey (for the "throat hit")
FC: yellow pryor (yelds up to 4 oz, based on GRIN observations)
burley: moldovan 456 (for nic & flavour; yelds up to 6-7 oz)
turkish: Alma ata 315 (for the good overall resistance of this strain)
All members of the forum have helped by simply posting in various threads
Pier

Alpine

I grew two flue cured tobaccos this year. I air cured them. I can tell you Symbol 4 http://nwtseeds.com/Symbol 4.htm tastes very different from Frog Eye Orinoco http://nwtseeds.com/Frog_Eye_Orinoco.htm
Based on this limited experience, I would consider including one American heirloom flue cured, and one Ukrainian / Russian flue cured, because it will likely be more diverse of a selection.

how would you descrive the difference in flavour between the two? And which is the strongest?

ChinaVoodoo

Aging still required, but the Orinoco is much sweeter and tastes like what you expect of a Virginia. The symbol 4 is less bright and sweet, more like a mild Burley with a bit of sweetness. I'd say the Orinoco is stronger, but that may be because these tobaccos were grown in different locations

DGBAMA

Greg, 4 would be tough for me. I find my best cigarettes are when I mix more varieties. That said, I am minimizing too.

Black mammoth (dark air)
Golden Burley (white stem, short aging easy cure)
Bursa (oriental)
Silver river (unclassified) woodsy/cedar undertone to me
Bolivian Crillo Black (unsure classification) I get a chocolate/coffee undertone after kilning

Flue cure is tricky, I will grow 3, because of maturation times to spread the timeframe of flue curing.
Dixie Bright 27 , first
Hickory Pryor, second
Big Gem, last.

All three gave good yield and leaf thickness but matured a few weeks apart, so everything doesn't come ripe at the same time.

ArizonaDave

Greg, 4 would be tough for me. I find my best cigarettes are when I mix more varieties. That said, I am minimizing too.

Black mammoth (dark air)
Golden Burley (white stem, short aging easy cure)
Bursa (oriental)
Silver river (unclassified) woodsy/cedar undertone to me
Bolivian Crillo Black (unsure classification) I get a chocolate/coffee undertone after kilning

Flue cure is tricky, I will grow 3, because of maturation times to spread the timeframe of flue curing.
Dixie Bright 27 , first
Hickory Pryor, second
Big Gem, last.

All three gave good yield and leaf thickness but matured a few weeks apart, so everything doesn't come ripe at the same time.

:) I concur!

Alpine

Aging still required, but the Orinoco is much sweeter and tastes like what you expect of a Virginia. The symbol 4 is less bright and sweet, more like a mild Burley with a bit of sweetness. I'd say the Orinoco is stronger, but that may be because these tobaccos were grown in different locations
Thanks Chinavoodoo... Symbol 4 added for next year grow!

ChinaVoodoo

Thanks Chinavoodoo... Symbol 4 added for next year grow!

Here's a photo. They begin to ripen before they flower, so there's basically no suckers, but I theorize you gotta get them going good from the moment you put them in the field so they get larger faster. But don't start them too early because pot growth is less than optimal.
IMG_20150727_071311.jpg

Slavko

In Slovenia we are grown several varieties of tobacco. In our club (oll lovers of Tobacco) for this year recommended 4 varieties of tobacco. RATIONALE: Helena, Virginia 15 or Virginia Gold
TASTE: Bucak, Golden Burley, Meryland 609
AROMA: PeriQue, Dukat Crimean, Covboy Lite

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Greg, I am a cigarette smoker also. I grow flue, burley, Maryland, dark air and oriental. I'm spreading those five out over three years. Last year I grew a bunch of Maryland 609 and VA 355 dark air. This year I will only grow Izmir Ozbos and Prilep P66-9/7 Orientals for a break and to let most of my patch lay fallow to recover and limit the buildup of pests and disease. I may even grow them in a short row in new ground to let my whole patch rest a year. Next year I will grow mostly Reams 158 flue and a few Costello Negro in two full rows of flue cure and one full row of burley TN90 or TN86
My blend is 40% flue, 20% burley, 20% Maryland, 10% dark air, 10% oriental. Grow in those proportions, grow more than you need and spread the varieties out over two or three seasons.

I also absolutely love the flavor of my flue cure varieties that I sun cure. They are sweet without the sour note I detect in flue varieties that have been actually flue cured. Much sweeter than air cured.

rainmax

Founding Member
Oho, another Slovenian from my town. Welcome Slavko.

...Knucklehead, are you prefering Reams 158 over Virginia Bright ?

Slavko

Dear
After a long illness, the report again.
This year I planted six varieties of tobacco:
-Virginia 15
- Golden Virginia
-Ducat crimean
-Gold Burley
-Burley
- PeriQue

Status
Not open for further replies.