Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Newbie Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie Mark

I'm just a guy from L.A. (please don't count that against me) who wants to make his own cigarettes. I already have a cigarette making machine and tubes, now I just need the tobacco. The only thing I know about tobacco is that it comes in packages of 20 sticks from the tobacco store. Essentially I know nothing. I seem to be partial to the Turkish blends.

I welcome any and all advice to this newbie just starting out.

Thanks in advance.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Welcome you have come to the right place. U can read about everything you need (and don't need) know about tobacco and tobacco mixes here..

MarcL

Welcome to Fair Trade tobacco. Your in the right place. my advice, forget about that tobacco store. follow this safe link. Get yourself some whole tobacco leaf. And/or scroll up to the top and click on Store for the shortest route.

then Webmost's advice is sound.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Welcome. You will need a good shredder to go with your tobacco. Either a Powermatic or a manual shredder from Poland (Lucas). Both are very nice.

Newbie Mark

Thank you guys for the welcome. I appreciate it.

I just received a half pound of Izmir Turkish tobacco leaves. Here's how uneducated I am with this: I guess I de-stem (?) this by hand? I've seen tobacco shredders but are way too much money for me to spend. I do not have a problem doing this by hand, but am asking if there is another way.

Also, what other type of tobacco would be good to blend this with? I went with the Turkish because I smoke Camel's. It was suggested that I could get a better flavor experience if I mixed it with something else. I am open to all recommendations.

Thanks again for the welcome, it makes me feel part of. Even though I have nothing to offer.

Mark.

Newbie Mark

Hey there,

I have another question. I'm currently using a Top-O-Matic (not the T2)tobacco injector. For some reason I'm not too crazy about it. I don't mind the injection system, it's kind of fun, but I was wondering if there any suggestions on a better machine.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

ChinaVoodoo

Thank you guys for the welcome. I appreciate it.

I just received a half pound of Izmir Turkish tobacco leaves. Here's how uneducated I am with this: I guess I de-stem (?) this by hand? I've seen tobacco shredders but are way too much money for me to spend. I do not have a problem doing this by hand, but am asking if there is another way.

Also, what other type of tobacco would be good to blend this with? I went with the Turkish because I smoke Camel's. It was suggested that I could get a better flavor experience if I mixed it with something else. I am open to all recommendations.

Thanks again for the welcome, it makes me feel part of. Even though I have nothing to offer.

Mark.

I use Izmir in pipe tobacco without removing the stems, generally. Sometimes I encounter a particularly thick one that I'll remove by hand though.

I think you need some flue cured Virginia bright leaf, and/or red leaf from whole leaf tobacco. I highly doubt camels are more than 20% Turkish. Someone else will know.

I feel like you need a tobacco shredder to deal with the small leaves of the Izmir if that's all you have. I use it one of two ways without a shredder. One is, I'll formulate the blend as whole leaf. I remove the stems from the flue cured tobacco and burley, then I'll roll a big, fat, super tight cigar out of the lot of it, the Turkish leaves being in the center of it, and the larger leaves of the flue cured and burley holding it all together. I then use a thin and sharp knife to slice it into disks which when pulled apart are a nice ribbon. The other method is to make a brick out of the Turkish leaves. The brick can then be sliced and rubbed out into ribbon.

Newbie Mark

Thank you for the post.

I have two problems with the shredder: one they're expensive and the other is that I have no place to keep it. I share a room and do not have that much space to have one.

I'm looking at the blended tobacco packages and I think that I will go with the American Old-style Bold or the Virginia Medium. Probably the Bold. One thing though is that I do not know what a "casing" is. I see that it's part of the package and that it comes in a spray bottle. I guess I am supposed to spray the tobacco with it. I need assistance with the application of this: do I spray the whole package at once?
Like my user name suggests, I am a newbie with this and have no clue.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

ChinaVoodoo

Thank you for the post.

I have two problems with the shredder: one they're expensive and the other is that I have no place to keep it. I share a room and do not have that much space to have one.

I'm looking at the blended tobacco packages and I think that I will go with the American Old-style Bold or the Virginia Medium. Probably the Bold. One thing though is that I do not know what a "casing" is. I see that it's part of the package and that it comes in a spray bottle. I guess I am supposed to spray the tobacco with it. I need assistance with the application of this: do I spray the whole package at once?
Like my user name suggests, I am a newbie with this and have no clue.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks.

It's my understanding that the casings don't have a huge impact on the tobacco, but more or less, fine tune the final result. When I roll smokes for friends, I'm just using the pure leaf, and they like it. I'd suggest try it without the casing at first because you'll likely find that it's great without and that you don't need to exert the extra effort to use the casing.

dchiang

Welcome neighbor! I don't know much about cigs, but if you want to grow tobacco I may be able to provide some advise.

Newbie Mark

I tried the tobacco both with and with out the casing and couldn't tell the difference. But I sure notice a big difference in smoking the leaf over the commercial packs. It tells me that I'm going to enjoy making my own smokes. The only real problem I had was that when the tobacco arrived, some of it was very dry and brittle. Should I wet it down and let it dry out or is there something else I should/can do about that?

Thank you for the post.

Mark.

ChinaVoodoo

I tried the tobacco both with and with out the casing and couldn't tell the difference. But I sure notice a big difference in smoking the leaf over the commercial packs. It tells me that I'm going to enjoy making my own smokes. The only real problem I had was that when the tobacco arrived, some of it was very dry and brittle. Should I wet it down and let it dry out or is there something else I should/can do about that?

Thank you for the post.

Mark.

You can either carefully mist the tobacco with a spray bottle. Careful with this method to not over humidify the leaves. Make sure the moisture is evenly distributed. No wet spots. Ideally, you want around 14% water content, so theoretically if you had a pound of bone dry tobacco, you would only have to add 63mL of water. That's a quarter cup. Your tobacco likely has some moisture in it, so you'd add only a fraction of that

You could humidify them in a closet or box, or big humidor, or something else. Open the package or take the tobacco out and humidify the space up to around 70% and leave for a few days before resealing them.
The only time I received dry leaves was when customs had sliced open the package, so check the bag for holes in case it got damaged in the mail.

Gavroche

traduire par google nous pouvons aussi mettre le tabac dans un plat creux, un coup de feu et un chiffon humide tendu au-dessus. il ne faudrait pas que le tabagisme affecte la lessive. sur Peut aussi Mettre le tabac Dans un plat creux, juin coupe et non linge humide tendu au dessus. Il ne Faut pas Que le tabac touche le linge.

Gavroche

Sorry

to dry tobacco in a soup cup, then a damp cloth top. the machine must not touch tobacco. check occasionally until tobacco is flexible .

Status
Not open for further replies.