Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Homegrown/WLT Pipe Tobacco You Smoked Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

As a grower and WLT customer, I'm interested in seeing some of the creations other members are smoking. I thought this warranted a separate thread because any postings specifically on homegrown blends tend to get lost in the constantly rolling thread of commercial blends being smoked in the other thread.

Today, I smoked a blend of cavendish I made out of WLT lemon Virginia, a cube-cut cavendish I made out of WLT bright Virginia, and homegrown Japan 8.

IMG_20151221_032734.jpg

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Good idea!

I'm partial to va red leaf and perique simple mix and very good, will be interested to see what everyone else shares.

ArizonaDave

As a grower and WLT customer, I'm interested in seeing some of the creations other members are smoking. I thought this warranted a separate thread because any postings specifically on homegrown blends tend to get lost in the constantly rolling thread of commercial blends being smoked in the other thread.

Today, I smoked a blend of cavendish I made out of WLT lemon Virginia, a cube-cut cavendish I made out of WLT bright Virginia, and homegrown Japan 8.

View attachment 17437

Good idea!

I'm partial to va red leaf and perique simple mix and very good, will be interested to see what everyone else shares.

I've been really wanting to get back to pipe and other types, glad to see this thread out there!

metalbone

Plus I like that the close-up is of the tobacco with the pipe backgrounded, which is opposite from the other pipe tobacco thread. Its all about the tobacco...

Chris A

Smoked some tobacco gifted to me by a forum member (he shall remain nameless so no body else begs him for samples!) Virginia Bright Leaf, Perique, Little Dutch blend. Great, honest tobacco taste. Obviously no casings. Smooth. This is stuff you could smoke everyday.

ChinaVoodoo

Smoked some tobacco gifted to me by a forum member (he shall remain nameless so no body else begs him for samples!) Virginia Bright Leaf, Perique, Little Dutch blend. Great, honest tobacco taste. Obviously no casings. Smooth. This is stuff you could smoke everyday.

What would you say the little Dutch contributes to the blend. I've never smoked it and was curious.

Chris A

This is my first experience with it as well. I would say a richer taste. I know that is generic, but this blend is new to me. The VBL is from Don and the Perique was home made. I'm gonna try mixing my own using Lonnies Havana instead and see if there is a noticeable difference.

Chris A

I also tried the suggestion of another member who added 25% scrap cigar leaf to aromatics. I tried this with 1Q. Again, a richer smoke in my opinion. Couldn't smell the scrap so no complaints from my wife. I am relegated to the garage, however. No worries, 55 degrees!

the scrap included all tobacco I've rolled in the past year, homegrown and Dons.

CobGuy

Hello ... I'm a new member and recent WLT convert.

This morning, with coffee, I smoked some twist made with 2 Va's, 2 Burleys, Izmir and a DFK wrapper:

15%2B-%2B1

15%2B-%2B1

ChinaVoodoo

Hello ... I'm a new member and recent WLT convert.

This morning, with coffee, I smoked some twist made with 2 Va's, 2 Burleys, Izmir and a DFK wrapper:

15%2B-%2B1

15%2B-%2B1

I love that. Not only a good blend, but cathartic: making the rope, cutting, rubbing. Nice.

Kiwikeg

Couple of mudlugs fresh from a Yellow Twist Bud plant. Roll, slice, smoke, 20151226_104734.jpgPerfect with a coffee while sitting in the morning sun.

Smokin Harley

yesterday was a very rainy day here. Had a little garage time while installing the new Chrismas gift bling for the new bike, and afterwards rewarded myself with a little smoke time.
Grabbed my little cheap italian pipe and broke into my container sample sized that it ended up comprised of what was left of my 4 leaf blend homemade Cavendish and 10% BigBonners Perique . Very nice and satisfying. The Perique gave the already pleasant Cav and nice fruity depth and left me wanting more. Unfortunately if you didn't know I had to toss the main container of Cav since apparently I didn't dry it enough and after 3 weeks it spiderwebbed with mold on me. Went to pop the top on it one day for a try and the smell of musty basement hit my nose. Oh well, live and learn. I'm looking to try the pressure cooker method on the next batch .

ArizonaDave

yesterday was a very rainy day here. Had a little garage time while installing the new Chrismas gift bling for the new bike, and afterwards rewarded myself with a little smoke time.
Grabbed my little cheap italian pipe and broke into my container sample sized that it ended up comprised of what was left of my 4 leaf blend homemade Cavendish and 10% BigBonners Perique . Very nice and satisfying. The Perique gave the already pleasant Cav and nice fruity depth and left me wanting more. Unfortunately if you didn't know I had to toss the main container of Cav since apparently I didn't dry it enough and after 3 weeks it spiderwebbed with mold on me. Went to pop the top on it one day for a try and the smell of musty basement hit my nose. Oh well, live and learn. I'm looking to try the pressure cooker method on the next batch .

I lost quite a few on my first grow by keeping too moist too. You won't next time! Now, I err on the dry side always, OR spray with rum IF you like rum.

ChinaVoodoo

I recommend weighing the tobacco at proper case before steaming or cooking it so you know how much it is supposed to weigh after drying. You could also weigh it completely dry, then rehydrate it to ballpark 15% water by weight.

DonH

I just pressed and cut some of Larry's Perique and blended it at 10% with some of a blend I made from homegrown. Virginia (I used a lot of Silk Leaf which is a lot like Don's Virigina Red), Turkish and a little Burley. Really tasted good. It needed the Perique. Next I'll cut up some flake I had with the same blend with a lot of Don's Latakia added and add some Perique to that.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I tried adding some burley to my previous blend, just a tad. It didn't change it too much but made it a little stronger. Think I prefer without though, but I have a little baggie to finish of this blend so I'll get a few times to sample it before I make up my mind.

Chris A

Garage warmed up a little today so tried a variation of a blend Jitterbugdude suggested.

Perique 20%
Virginia Bright from Don 50%
20% Lonnies Havana
pinch of Samsun Madden
pinch of cavendished Yellow Prior

Smoked one bowl right after the first in a Missouri Meer Eaton, a small pipe. I liked this a lot. It was slightly milder than the last with Little Dutch, and I think it needed more cavendish. I like that sweeter cav flavor. I will certainly blend this one again, or try different cavendished leaves.

Oh, I did cheat a little. Used blending Perique from Pipes & Cigars that I bought in small quantity to try.

CobGuy

Used blending Perique from Pipes & Cigars that I bought in small quantity to try.

I liked their Perique ... kind of a musty, semi-sweet chocolate smell and not too peppery in the mix.

That sounds like a very tasty blend, Chris! Hey ... what part of IL are you in? I grew up around Peoria. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.