Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Homegrown/WLT Pipe Tobacco You Smoked Today

Nice. I hadnt really thought about how air cured virginia would have the benefit of reducing FC tongue bite. Will need to play with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaVoodoo View Post
    I made a rope.
    3g Air cured Symbol 4,
    8g Air cured Helena from the tips-final pick
    4g flue cured, 2nd pick Costello Negro
    7g flue cured, first pick Costello Negro
    She's a keeper.
    Attachment 21506
    Very nice ! A full virginia rope

1 members have Nominated this post.

https://i.imgur.com/GBqDg5n.jpg

Katsuri grown from seeds kindly provided by Tutu. The leaf is traditionally used in cigarettes and bites badly when smoked neat. However, a mix of 5 parts air-cured Katsuri and 1 part Perique makes a lovely spicey blend. It can be a little overpowering and would probably benefit from a third element to stop it becoming overpowering, it but it is nevertheless a delicious blend and I look forward to seeing how the leaf ages.

Quote Originally Posted by DistillingJim View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/GBqDg5n.jpg

Katsuri grown from seeds kindly provided by Tutu. The leaf is traditionally used in cigarettes and bites badly when smoked neat. However, a mix of 5 parts air-cured Katsuri and 1 part Perique makes a lovely spicey blend. It can be a little overpowering and would probably benefit from a third element to stop it becoming overpowering, it but it is nevertheless a delicious blend and I look forward to seeing how the leaf ages.
    How would you classify the Kasturi if you had to fit it neatly into western tobacco classification?
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

I would probably put it in the Bright Leaf/Virginia category. According to Tutu it is usually sun-cured (although my first attempt at flue-curing had a somewhat mixed result).

BTW - I've bagged and am collecting Katsuri seeds. Happy to share with any members who want to try it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DistillingJim View Post
    I would probably put it in the Bright Leaf/Virginia category. According to Tutu it is usually sun-cured (although my first attempt at flue-curing had a somewhat mixed result).
    I don't know if you've read this thread, but maybe try this method I'm just figuring out. http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/...light=Rajangan

I've had positive results.
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

bolivian-criollo-flake.jpg

A flake cut from a plug of air-cured Bolivian Black Criollo (the leaf was wrapped in parchment paper and pressed by bar clamps between two small wooden boards). No additives other than time - once the Bolivian leaf is not sticky anymore the "chemical" smell many reported (somewhere between menthol and floor wax) will have vanished (this takes 3 - 12 months). My best leaves have a distinct red-brown color, resembling cocoa beans. Burn in the pipe is what I call ideal, slow and bite-free, the aroma is reminiscent of Caribbean cigars (minus the alkalinity - some of it can be still quite strong, though).

How long do you pressed it for? I made one virginia burley flake cased with honey water and wondering how long I need to press it

Personally, I'm usually too impatient to leave it for more than a week but I know others leave it longer

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast