Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Noob hello and ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Glad to have found this site.I have been intrigued by RYO cigars for a very long time. I really would like to start trying. It is pricey though for me in canada so before starting I want to ensure that I can minimize waste as much as possible. Has anyone been able to figure how much filler by weight would be needed to roll a cigar of a given size.I am typically a robusto fan but any cigar similar in size is of interest.
Thanks;)

Thanksthats likely what I will get. They are pretty much the only option for buying leaf tobacco. I am just trying to not waste half my tobacco trying to figure out the right amount of filler.

juan carlos

Welcome in!

the good news is that tobacco keeps. almost indefinitely. The WLT kits make about 15-20 cigars depending on how you roll them, it's a great way to startout before you start trying different blends on your own.

if you want to buy poundage, the WLT site (ad at top of page, sponsor of forum) has a number of variety of fillers, binders and wrapers. it's hard to answer the question of what is the right amount.
seco makes mellow, so if you want a smoother smoke you will use more of this.
viso makes a stronger smoke
ligaro makes the strongest, so if you like dizzy and nauseous...go hard!

there is lots more better information here, just wanted to say there is no perfect blend so you run out of tobaccos all at the same time...but you won't waste any, it will just stay sealed up until the next batch arrives or is grown and then the blending madness sets in again.

i would however suggest a higher pound count on seco. the stonger leaves...what can i say, for me a little goes a long way.

if you are anything like the rest of the guys here, it becomes a collection in no time.

waikikigun

4 tro 4.5 leaves for a robusto depending on leaf size, of which there is a great variety. There may be up to 80 leaves in a pound so you will get around 16 robustos per pound of tobacco.

The problem buying from WLT is it's a lb at a time, not a good situation for someone learning to roll. Let's say you go 2 seco, 1 viso, 1 ligero for your blend. So you'll need to buy 4 lbs for around $85 (with free shipping, don't know if you get that to Canada?) and then hope you like those tobaccos. If you don't, it's a pretty big loss. If you do, you're in luck, because you'll have plenty of leaf to experiment with blend variations and you'll have 60-70 cigars for $US85 worth of filler and a fun hobby as a bonus. Or vice versa.

Of course you'll also need $40 worth of wrapper and $22 worth of binder, so you're really in for $150 and hoping you like what you get....

As a consolation for this difficult situation for the noob roller there are the kits....

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If you want to minimize waste buy a pipe, good to the last drop.

As to cigars, I'd buy a blend if I were you, he describes what the cigar should be like so since only you know what you like you can choose the blend closest to your own palette.

Alternatively perhaps go big. Get some of everything you think you might like. There shouldn't be any waste as you can always take your learning attempts and make short filler cigars out of it.

Any of the scraps that don't fit in that can be used in smokeless. No reason to waste even a gram.

Wow thanks for all the info folks. I think I may have not been clear enough on what I am thinking. (sorry) And it just hit me that its a non issue. My concern was that if I was rolling a particular size and i get the amount of filler wrong the stick will be either too loose or too tight. That would possibly result in a cigar that wont smoke and thus a bunch of waste. However after thinking on it I realize that at least for now I wont be using molds so the cigars would just come out at whatever size they end up and thats fine.

Sadly the shipping to canada is what makes it so costly. After the exchange on our crappy dollar the shipping adds another 40.00 or so plus any taxes or duties I get dinged with. I am a cigar nut and If I ever found a way to make the shipping more affordable I,d be buying leaf by the truckload...lol.

I will look through the forum some more at the blends others are using. Likely I would buy some buy the pound and some kits.

Are these all the same store? https://www.leafonly.com http://wholeleaftobacco.com http://www.wholeaf.com/

Thanks for the answer. I would like to hear from other canadian's on the taxes etc they incur when ordering. It would def help me to know the total cost of the cigars I produce.

Can anyone recommend the right kit for me. My taste in cigars leans toward brands like La Aroma de cuba, Padron 2000maduro, Torano exdus 1959, La gloria cubana. And of course most cubans...he he.

juan carlos

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5975-Tracking-a-package-after-it-crosses-the-Canadian-border

the excize duty is 1.57/kg, the post office handling fee is 10.00 and GST. but i have had 3 shipment lately where they just delivered for free.

personally i'd buy any kits that you can and make up about a 6Lb order. with dollar exchange shipping and all...200ish, and you will be set for a long time.

criollo and corojo fillers are poular and CT shade wraps are creamy without adding too much. dom binder is a good all-rounder and ecu maduro is very nice, spicy and easy to work with, if somewhat slow burning.

i really liked the melidiso cremosa blend kit.

check out the cigar threads for lots more suggestions

Great stuff thanks.I am glad to hear that they dont slaughter us with taxes and duties like usual. Sadly the price of shipping things from the us has gotten way out of hand.Its bad when I can get stuff shipped from china for a fraction of what it costs from the US. Oh well not much ya can do. Im going to try and work out a rough price per stick to help convince the wife its better than ordering ready made cigars..lol than I will pull the trigger. I def want to try some mata fina though so maybe a few kits and a couple extra wrappers to try with them.

Well now i,ve gone and done it. I pulled the trigger on some tobacco. I ordered a wide range of different leaves in smaller quantities as well as a couple "blends" and some glue. ordered from two dif places.I will see how the quality and service compare. I haven't even started yet and I think i,m hooked.

Smokin Buffalo

Smokepole, I'm not sure where you live in Canada but I live near Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY. If you are in driving distance you may be able to save some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.