Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lysistrata

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I grew some Lysistrata this year. I got the seeds from GRIN. This type has a higher proportion of Anatabine in it. Here is Wikipedia on Anatabine:Anatabine (uh-nat-uh-been,-bin) is one of the minor alkaloids found in plants in the Solanaceae family, which includes the tobacco plant and tomato. Commercial tobacco plants typically produce alkaloids at levels between 2% and 4% of total dry weight, with nicotine accounting for about 90% of the total alkaloid content, and the related compounds anabatine, nornicotine, and anabasine making up nearly all the rest.[1] These compounds are thought to be biologically active, and part of plants' natural defense system against insects.[1]Anatabine has been studied in animal models and in cells to see if it might be useful for treating nicotine addiction and inflammation, and has been studied in models of diseases characterized by inflammation, such as Alzheimer's Disease, thyroiditis, and multiple sclerosis.[2] On a biochemical level, it appears to be active against certain nicotinic acetylcholine receptors.[2]Sounded interesting. The plants were great, good producer, nice large thick leaves. I tried some before kilning and it had a mild but dark taste, kind of like Bolivia Black. It seemed lower in nicotine, which makes sense since it's higher in anatabine. Kind of a novelty grow, but I have seeds if anyone's interested.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I have been growing some variants that makes a little more "Anatabine" perhaps not as much as this one is it:pI 438978?

webmost

Lysistrata is a famous play from I forget which famous Greek, all about the power of pussywhipin. A chorus of women vow no piece without peace, and a chorus of men run round with dildoes strapped on. Lysistrata is the gal who organized the sex strike. How a strain of tobacco got named after this fictional heroine, that's the fascinating bit, to me. Any idea why they named this leaf for an ancient ribald farce?

Let's see how much of this post gets censored by forum software.

webmost

Aristofane wrote Lisistrata... But i cannot imagine why someone named a tobacco strain "Lysistrata"

Pier

Yep. That's the funny fellow. Wrote a bunch of dirty minded skits. We spell him Aristophanes in English... no idea why. We spell Lysistrata with a Y -- prolly cause the Bryts like to stick a Y where yt don't belong, like tyre and byre and everythyng else, while no one this syde of the pond owns the least knowledge of Arystophanes much less of spellyng...

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
How is it whit suckers? It is much faster than Bolivian Black so maybe a good chance for us short time growers..

Status
Not open for further replies.