Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tobacco self sown

Just an inquiry to the more expert members of the group.

Last year was my first season growing tobacco and did so many things wrong.

Like not taking off the suckers not taking off all the flowers.

I only grew two types of cigarette tobacco and carefully wrapped the seed heads flowers of samples of both so I knew would get true strain.

But as I say I didn't remove every flower as I had neglected to take off the side shoots had lots of flowers happen.

Now this year I didn't rip up the beds like last year but did spray with glyphospate.

Now this seasons plants are moving along quite nicely although did have lots of seedlings succumb to the rather hot spell we had and I think they were to small when I put them in.

Now the thing of interest to me is there seems to be a hundred or more little plants starting in the two beds I used last year, and in the gravel path ways between the beds which have received no watering at all.

They are taking off like weeds unlike the plants I have nurtured and tended from seed raising beds inside to pots to hardening off then planting out.

Is this an indication that I have a good location to grow tobacco?

Is this a hint by nature that this is the time of the year I should be putting my plants in the ground rather than earlier?

It almost seems like I should decide on a bed I will use for which variety and just bash the seed pods on the ground and let them do their own thing when they are ready to.

Does anyone else have this self sowing of seeds and them taking off like this. I read all the time of how everyone nurtures, grow lights, hot houses, removing parts of first leaves and so on and here are these just growing like a weed as I say.

So I am carefully tagging the plants that I put in their by type and will bag the flower heads but interesting to see how these self seeded ones go.

Re: Tobacco self sown

I have only seen self seeded seeds twice. We get cold winters here and I till the garden so that's probably why I haven't seen more of them. As for the self seeded tobacco growing like weeds in the gravel look up the works of Phil Calahan. He has published several books on Paramagnetism. Certain rocks have a very tiny magnetic field. Some rocks more so than others. The higher the magnetic field, the more vigorous the plants will grow. A few companies in the States sell "Rock Dust" and they will list the paramagnetic reading on the bag. It is an interesting topic/field to study.

We get cold here as in minus 6C but only that low occasionally with regular minus 1C over winter so a frost but never snow or anything like that. The gravel is the red iron oxide so yes it is magnetic.
    Was just so impressed that after all my babying and caring for and worrying over seed getting it to grow here is the seed developing quite happily on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude View Post
    I have only seen self seeded seeds twice. We get cold winters here and I till the garden so that's probably why I haven't seen more of them. As for the self seeded tobacco growing like weeds in the gravel look up the works of Phil Calahan. He has published several books on Paramagnetism. Certain rocks have a very tiny magnetic field. Some rocks more so than others. The higher the magnetic field, the more vigorous the plants will grow. A few companies in the States sell "Rock Dust" and they will list the paramagnetic reading on the bag. It is an interesting topic/field to study.

Wrong

Yes we have self-sown tobacco even in Sweden. In a place named Ifo (whit 2 point over the O) I have collected a Rustica for example. Problem with it is you can't know which of all N.Rustica it is..
    In the farms around the place it have grown 5-10 rustica varieties have been growing back in the days.

I have also got some self grow tobacco but always try to not let em grow-up. They are self-pollinated and I don't like it.

chudich, if it grows , let it . See what becomes of it full grown ,just don't forget to top it . Might just be the best grow you've ever had. The genetics of the result wont be predictable at all.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Quote Originally Posted by Hasse SWE View Post
    Wrong
    Hope you ain't thinking I believe it's wrong to grow em, just say that you don't know anything about the tobacco ju got out of it.

I was trying to explain but just a bit of the text got posted..

No worries the only types they can be or a cross of is Cowboy light and Golden light. One has large smooth leaves and the other large rough leaves. Mixed them both when was drying, fermenting and shredding in no particular percentage and they made the best cigarettes my wife and I have ever had. So going to let them grow and see what they look like and may even bag a couple of the flower heads to save the seed. I am a believer in trying to keep varieties of plants pure to strain but I guess some where along the line cross breeding of plants happens to give us new varieties and some will be good some not so good and some bad.
    Again it is the tenacity of those little seeds to sprout and grow when I think of the effort I put in with seed raising mix, trays and the pampering for them to do it all of their own accord.

Nope that's ain't true. Thing is: Just as much you can win just as much you can lose genetic. That's the reason I separate my seed. Thing always changes whit tobacco but if you let em grow and take "things" from. The ones beside you can get fantastic tobacco, but how do ju know about everything you don't see?
    -But let em grow and if you give away seed just tell the story you have one it.. "possible cross between xxxx-xxxx-xxx". That's the best..

Not starting an argument but I have a degree in horticulture and unless you're intentionally crossing two plants of the same genetics,the result is not in any way predictable for the offspring. You can take a good guess but the results thereafter are a crap shoot.
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast