Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Antique Swedish tobacco cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrapper

Swedish 18c web.jpg

I saw this in a UK antique shop billed as a Swedish 18thC tobacco cutter. I would have bagged it except the seller was asking over GBP200. So I left it.

Q: Have I missed the bargain of the century?:p

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Wrapper:Interesting, I can ask around about it.. I have been growing up on a old farm (my grandfather was the 13generation on the farm). Remember a cutter like that (will ask my mother's brother if he have it let). If he have I can take some pics of it.Did you take any more pictures on. It?

wrapper

Wrapper:Interesting, I can ask around about it.. I have been growing up on a old farm (my grandfather was the 13generation on the farm). Remember a cutter like that (will ask my mother's brother if he have it let). If he have I can take some pics of it.Did you take any more pictures on. It?

Just the one pic, sorry Hasse, but it was cropped for posting. I would be fascinated to hear if your uncle still has one! I am going to make one using an old saw blade, just for fun.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
200 quid is about 300 U.S. Dollars. That will buy you a nice Powermatic Shredder or a nice Polish shredder from Lucas. I'd only buy the thing for historical reasons, but even so, 200 seems like a lot

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Randy I would not buying it. Even if the history around it can become interesting..
The one I remember was placed on a box with a steering wheel on.
In the boxes it was like a big coffee grinder. My bigger sister was having it to make powder out of Oats for chicken..
Me myself just have it like my Car. It was really funny..

Perhaps they back in the day was making tobacco powder for snuff (not oral-snuff).. If my uncle still have it I can check for ID-mark just to find out how had make it. And that way find out the year..
But 1800 ain't impossible perhaps earlier..

Matty

View attachment 17465

I saw this in a UK antique shop billed as a Swedish 18thC tobacco cutter. I would have bagged it except the seller was asking over GBP200. So I left it.

Q: Have I missed the bargain of the century?:p

Haven't missed a thing. I see tons of those over here and on average can be had for 10$-20$. They are used for cutting plug tobacco.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Yes I love the easy and rustic look..
But as I told I believe that they had it to shred the tobacco before ground it.
It seems to be more "worn" one the left side. It can be because they heve scratched the shredded tobacco through a hole, down to a mall and ground it to fine powder.

But maybe did not this one have anything below it. The reason that it looks more worn at The left can be because people often is right-handed (and draws things to the left). More difficult than so it don't need to be..
In Sweden shall nasal-snuff historical have been a big and fine thing before Napoleon fell. After that changes our ideals and oral-snuff (Swedish Snus) started to become a bigger thing, we learn about it from the Dutch..

wrapper

Yes I love the easy and rustic look..
But as I told I believe that they had it to shred the tobacco before ground it.
It seems to be more "worn" one the left side. It can be because they heve scratched the shredded tobacco through a hole, down to a mall and ground it to fine powder.

But maybe did not this one have anything below it. The reason that it looks more worn at The left can be because people often is right-handed (and draws things to the left). More difficult than so it don't need to be..
In Sweden shall nasal-snuff historical have been a big and fine thing before Napoleon fell. After that changes our ideals and oral-snuff (Swedish Snus) started to become a bigger thing, we learn about it from the Dutch..

I have been looking at snus. Interesting. Will my rustica make good snus tobacco?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I have been looking at snus. Interesting. Will my rustica make good snus tobacco?
Not my favourite, but I know some people how like it. I think rustica is taste less. I normally like tobacco how have alot of sugar (and it ain't good) I try to check if a variant have high nicotine (Alkolide is more true) and if it make match or less sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.