Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Virginia red vs bright cured

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
They're all mild flavors, red less so- it is a stronger flavored more aromatic leaf from what I assume is a higher maillard process, maybe even some caramelization of the sugars. I haven't found a better tasting fc leaf.

DGBAMA

I am not good at describing, but to me they have similar flavor profiles, with the red being 2x flavor/aroma. A favorite of mine.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
So, here is my favorite, granted it's not intricate nor imaginative but the flavor is out of this world, maybe try stuff a tube with it: 90% red leaf, 10% perique

Or the exact opposite, Knucklehead's recipe is listed somewhere here, it utilizes a wonderful array of tobaccos and looks to be delicious.

DGBAMA

I like the red but can be a bit over powering even with the burley so I am looking for another leaf to mix it with.

If you don't have an Oriental component, add some Izmir to the mix. Or substitute lemon flue cure for part of the Virginia red.

burge

The red is not as sweet almost like adding a bitter to liquor 5 leaves lemon and 1 leaf of red accents the flavour of the lemon. I find in creating that blend that resembles a taylor made export A. For those used to ryo export A its not the same its a much brighter leaf in the taylor made. Export A light is the ryo version. all the ryo vesrions in Canada do nto exist anymore.

Jabman

Thank you burge,I bought some lemon and so far it is my favorite. I mix about 80% Lemon to 10% Red and 10% Burly, it is a nice smoke. I just ordered some bright and Turkish Prilep last night and will try them in the mix or make a new one.

DonH

Thank you burge,I bought some lemon and so far it is my favorite. I mix about 80% Lemon to 10% Red and 10% Burly, it is a nice smoke. I just ordered some bright and Turkish Prilep last night and will try them in the mix or make a new one.
Adding Prilep to this blend will make it amazing. When I read the ingredients I was thinking, that looks really good, but some Prilep would really make it. Then I read the next sentence.

PeacePipe

I personally find the Red leaf to be a whole different smoke then the lemon or bright leaf.. With this said the Red cured bright leaf is not really a english type of tobacco like the other two. Red leaf has a much stronger kick and taste as well as after bite. I have been smoking bright leaf for a long time but the benefit of the red alone is just that. It needs nothing added even though in mixes it is a great base.

Most American smokers will probably find the traditional bright leaf and lemon to be a bit drab or boring in comparison to the marketed brands. The red on the other hand would probably appeal to all Americans as long as filtered and known to be a full flavor..

In comparison, I do find the Red to truly be more like Marlboro's or other american blends and the bright leaf both remind me of my days smoking Canadian brands.

Curious if anyone has toasted the Red out of curiosity? I have about 20 leafs left of a pound and am debating giving it a try. I preffer Burley toasted and will be toasting some of last years primed leaf this weekend. Might be in for a treat, or a let down but I think it will be even better from my experience with full flavored cured and toasted......

burge

Canadian tobacco is sweeter. And I know this may be offensive but a lot of Americans do not know a Canadian smoke. Traditionally export A the full flabour was a darker Virginia kind of like Danish 91 peter stocklebye medium was a bit of bright leaf while the light was golden Virginia. Players was my favourite. I did toast some red leaf and it wasn't that great in my opinion it tasted a lot like a European tobacco if you like the dnaish halfzware which is not my thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.