Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Chew Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I'm thinking about stocking a threshed chewing tobacco. The first time I spoke with the supplier, he quickly rattled off a bunch of cigar wrapper names to describe the tobaccos included in this blend. When I asked him what was in the blend several months later, hhe declined to offer details. I do recall is saying there was Besuki in the blend and would only tell me the blend consisted of 20% American tobacco and 80% was from Central America and Indonesia.

I imagine this could make some good short filler for cigars too.

First four people who have made posts about chewing tobacco get a free sample. You have to post your opinions on the sample after you try it.

Send me an email with your address to Don@WholeLeafTobacco.com. I will also ship the sample internationally.

Threshed_chew.jpg

jaysalti

Just so I'm clear, this is chew and not dip? Looks like a tasty leaf combo in the pic! I just wanted to ask, not enter... want this to go to folks with good post count, not a lurker.

Thanks!

Matty

That's a good idea, I hope it works. I prefer fermented cigar varieties for chew myself. I'd ask for a sample but I might judge it harshly, I'm very picky about the flavor of chew. Still haven't had any success with anything I've made.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Just so I'm clear, this is chew and not dip? Looks like a tasty leaf combo in the pic! I just wanted to ask, not enter... want this to go to folks with good post count, not a lurker.

Thanks!

Yes, this is a chewing tobacco blend. If you have a pending order with WLT, I'll be happy to send you a sample also.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Might be interesting to use in all the different smokeless batches. If you'd like I'll prep a batch of each of dry snuff and snus. Would be pretty cool if you sold a single blend that depending on process could be used for dry snuff, moist snuf/snus. A lot of people starting to move in those directions.
I know nothing of chewing tobacco though.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Thanks Don, I dried it down on the furnace and powdered it all. It looks like mix of light and dark cigar types with a scent that makes me think a good portion of this might be seco level leaf, the smell of the powder is of a nice cigar aroma. Later today I'm going to take half the batch and process as snus and allow the rest to age to be used as snuff. Will age both for a week or two and report back. Tasting some of the powder gives a very pleasant cigar flavor, which if it isn't driven off by the cook will make for a very good plain snus I think.

The potential for this to be a great snuff is there for cigar lovers and the leaf powder is probably the fluffiest I've encountered, really nice.

The mixture of all the different types of tobacco make this easily take on a complex cigar smell, I'm very excited to see how it ends up. I could see people running it thru a shredder specifically for short filler cigars. I probably should have saved some to try that out.

So now just going to let the process happen and see how it turns out.

For people that use chew, this would be great obviously, it's already the right size to i imagine just add the sweeteners and let age.

Definite potential here.

Matty

Got my order today, thanks for the sample Don. I whipped up a small amount of dilute molasses to hydrate a bit of this chew blend as it is bone dry, ready to absorb some sauce. Kneaded this together (about 2 cheeks full) until it was evenly dark then packed my jaw with a huge plug. Initially it tastes like it smells, like a mix bag of wrapper scraps. The blend smells like it is mainly generic indonesian wrapper and bezuki. Bitterness is very minute compared to other tobaccos I've tasted and actually diminished on it's own leaving a slightly nutty flavor. I taste a lot of bezuki. Flavors are dark with a hint of spiciness. Nicotine is on the low end to medium low, less than "redman" but more than "big mountain". With the right sauce recipe this could make a nice loose leaf chew.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Matty try mixing with your sauce and packing it tight in an airtight container once it's mixed well for at least a week, my snus will be done tonight then it's in the frig for a week.

The smell out of the bag was totally gone once I blended it and it took on a mature cigar smell, not the sharper seco position smell. If I can get that mature cigar smell to stay in either the dry or moist snuff I'll call it a success from my standpoint.

OK first part of the cook is done. Steam smells like a humidor full of cigars! This is looking good so far:)

Matty

Yep, soon as I decide what flavour profile I'd like with this baccy and have some time I'll do up a small batch to set aside and steep for a few days. I'd like to keep the flavouring to a minimum so that the main flavour comes from the tobacco but I also like a sweet chaw that lasts awhile. I have some Frangelico liquor (hazelnut) that might be really good with this.

ArizonaDave

Matty try mixing with your sauce and packing it tight in an airtight container once it's mixed well for at least a week, my snus will be done tonight then it's in the frig for a week.

The smell out of the bag was totally gone once I blended it and it took on a mature cigar smell, not the sharper seco position smell. If I can get that mature cigar smell to stay in either the dry or moist snuff I'll call it a success from my standpoint.

OK first part of the cook is done. Steam smells like a humidor full of cigars! This is looking good so far
Ligero's and viso's usually are what I've used in mine. I'd like to hear your results.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
First results in for the snus, I think it's still maturing, but so far it's a savory, salty snus with a very slight bitter finish which isn't overpowering at all with almost a hint of umami.

Two ideas come to mind that might take the recipe up to the next level, an initial toasting of the tobacco as well as another idea for a short week or so ferment prior to the cook.

Overall though first impressions are good, the initial cigar aroma changed somewhat, faded but it's still there as an undertone to that savory flavor. Can't speak to nicotine, it was still a bit young and the pH must have still been too high so I took it out before I got burned. Will check again in a week.

I'm also going to take a small bit out and add whiskey, because when I had it in the thought came to me that it seemed like it would go great with this snus. I don't want to change much though just a gram, I want to keep or unflavored as much as possible to see how it ages.

The snuff is not done yet, still gassy, but I also want to try a little whiskey with a gram or so of that as well.

So far enjoying testing it, and it is different from all other leaves I have tried making snuff/snus blends out of (fc,da,bu,df)

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Pfft I couldn't keep out of the snuff after I started thinking about it while writing the above. The cigar aroma is intensifying, it's like taking a deep breath from a fresh clipped cigar, yum.

ArizonaDave

Pfft I couldn't keep out of the snuff after I started thinking about it while writing the above. The cigar aroma is intensifying, it's like taking a deep breath from a fresh clipped cigar, yum.

That's interesting. I think I missed the sampler?
I've said on other posts that I make a spitless snuff out of Piloto Cubano Liguero. Lately, I've been combining it with San Vincente' Liguero, it makes for a better flavor. Fresh clipped cigar smell is what got me hooked originally. On another note, I sure miss the Mata Fina, it kicked up everything a notch. I grew some Brazil Bahia and Brazil Dunkel last year that had a great taste combo, but I'm finally out. Having a pre-set combo of leaves (blend) like Don's bringing in just might do the trick. This is the second thread today someone's mentioned cooking the leaf.

I do use a small amount of Rum/vanilla in my mix, and have been thinking about adding some sweet/salt into the mix. I've heard bourbon works well too. Sorry for the scattered post, my mind is going a thousand directions with this and the potential.

bonehead

i sampled some of the chew blend strait up like it came and it has very good flavor for tobacco not flavored or processed. the darker tobacco has more flavor than the lighter tobacco. i am going to process the rest with some toaster oven baked baking soda, purified salt and soy sauce. then i will throw it in a crockpot on warm for a cook in a mason jar. next i will throw it a smoke for an hour or so giving it a hickory smoke. then the wait begins.

ArizonaDave

i sampled some of the chew blend strait up like it came and it has very good flavor for tobacco not flavored or processed. the darker tobacco has more flavor than the lighter tobacco. i am going to process the rest with some toaster oven baked baking soda, purified salt and soy sauce. then i will throw it in a crockpot on warm for a cook in a mason jar. next i will throw it a smoke for an hour or so giving it a hickory smoke. then the wait begins.

Hickory smoke is an interesting flavor, so is Mesquite. Although I've found Mesquite turns into a peppery flavor when lit, so use with caution if used as a Pipe or Cigar flavoring.

bonehead

Hickory smoke is an interesting flavor, so is Mesquite. Although I've found Mesquite turns into a peppery flavor when lit, so use with caution if used as a Pipe or Cigar flavoring.
a couple of years ago i harvested aroung 30 blacksea samsun sucker plants that were fully mature but it was very late in the season and the outside weather was not any good to cure tobacco. i smoked them with hickory to cure them and they came out good but didn't have enough nicotine to use for chew or dip on its own but worked good in a corncob. it was smoothe enough to inhale and had a nice flavor. thankyou for the warning.

Matty

So, I made up a small batch of sweet chaw a bit over a week ago, it's been sitting in the fridge since.

-1oz Frangelico (hazelnut liquor)
-1tsp molasses
-1tbsp xylitol
-1/2 tsp caramel extract
-maybe 1/8tsp glycerine, not much
-pinch or 2 of salt

I used maybe 20 grams of the leaf blend to soak this up. At the moment it's still a bit juicy. Flavours are on the subtle side, the sauce gives the tobacco a more chocolate taste. Not much hazelnut or caramel come through and sweetness could be a bit sweeter for me. Bitterness is almost all gone and is very tolerable. I might have to let it sit awhile longer as the flavouring and sweetness were gone in about 5mins. leaving mostly the flavour of the tobacco which is now muted compared to the bare leaf itself.
I still have a little leaf left to try this again with a different sauce, see if I can get closer to something I really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.