Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigarette Casing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffig

I am having difficulties finding information on specifically what a casing is. I would like to know particularly what the ones sold with wholeleaftobacco products. Also I would like to know in general what a casing does. And only for the roll your own cigarette tobaccos. Thanks much!!!

DonH

I am having difficulties finding information on specifically what a casing is. I would like to know particularly what the ones sold with wholeleaftobacco products. Also I would like to know in general what a casing does. And only for the roll your own cigarette tobaccos. Thanks much!!!
You won't get a recipe for the WLT casings. They are proprietary secrets. Just some hints. They are excellent, though. A casing smooths out rough edges of the flavor. Unlike a topping which you can really taste.

Ffig

I'm not looking for recipe really. Maybe some science. I want to know what it does and how it works. And maybe what the active compounds are.

Ffig

I found that already thanks. I'm not looking for recipe that link gives me none of the info I am actually looking for.

AmaxB

I would suggest fermenting 1st smoke it and then look at casings. If not interested in ready made casing and not interested in a recipe. Then you must be wanting to create your own maybe...
The science could lead into pages of text and what it does could be open to opinion. How it works, it changes the smoke inhaled - by adding a substance/s to the tobacco at some point before smoking it.

ArizonaDave

I found that already thanks. I'm not looking for recipe that link gives me none of the info I am actually looking for.

Flue cured casings are usually citrus based, and Air cured are usually either sugar or chocolate based I believe. Certain alcohols work well with air cured leaf as well, depending on the leaf. I use a rum/vanilla concoction on Cigars I mix myself at around a 7:1 ratio.

Matty

Download the pdf in the first post found in the link below, read it cover to cover, it's a good place to start. There's another book around here somewhere that is more technical but I don't remember the title. Also, look through the threads in the tobacco science forum, there is a wealth of knowledge to be had in there.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/1855-Tobacco-Flavoring-the-Science

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I prefer not to use casings..I get my different flavours from mixing different bacca toghter...

ArizonaDave

Download the pdf in the first post found in the link below, read it cover to cover, it's a good place to start. There's another book around here somewhere that is more technical but I don't remember the title. Also, look through the threads in the tobacco science forum, there is a wealth of knowledge to be had in there.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/1855-Tobacco-Flavoring-the-Science

Matty, good find, I misplaced the link to this book. I've referred to it many times in experimenting with oils.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I prefer not to use casings..I get my different flavours from mixing different bacca toghter...

This. If I only had one type or maybe could only get my hands on something not so good then I'd case. I experimented initially with casing but invariably always gravitated back to well fermented leaf.

Here's a tip, Don's leaf is in vapor proof bags with enough moisture to slowly improve. Get more than you need of each type and just try to put some up each time you order, still sealed in the vapor proof bags. It arrives good, but, wow what a treat to break into one of the older bags once in a while.

I got way more of the red flue cured then I'd need for pipe smoking, I probably use less than a pound a year, so if I keep adding a few bags here and there I'm going to be in heaven after a few years.

Yeah casing is not necessary.

If you are casing to tone down a bite or something of that nature, you can also accomplish the same goal with blending too.

Ffig

Ya I haven't actually been using the casing much except to moisten leaves enough to cut. Will you tell me more about fermenting? and possibly what Bacca is?

Ffig

Ya I haven't actually been using the casing much except to moisten leaves enough to cut. Will you tell me more about fermenting? and possibly what Bacca is?

Ffig

And also I am starting a tobacco co-op where I live. We are all going to be going in on one of the shredders and ordering tobacco together to save shipping. I've got 15 people together so far. But that is why I was looking for a bit of extra info on the casings that come with the tobacco ordered from WholeLeaf. For myself I understand well enough but explaining to others requires a bit more detailed info. I pretty much knew everything you have shared I just needed some clarification.

BarG

Founding Member
Do you kiln your leaves first, that helps so much, the casing is a bonus for preffered tastes and flavors.

BarG

Founding Member
I have 3 bottles I use rarely because I forget to use, heh heh, I try to kiln most of mine to smooth out, or age for a few years.

ArizonaDave

And also I am starting a tobacco co-op where I live. We are all going to be going in on one of the shredders and ordering tobacco together to save shipping. I've got 15 people together so far. But that is why I was looking for a bit of extra info on the casings that come with the tobacco ordered from WholeLeaf. For myself I understand well enough but explaining to others requires a bit more detailed info. I pretty much knew everything you have shared I just needed some clarification.

I can't answer what WholeLeaf puts in theirs, but WholeLeafTobacco tells you the main ingredients in theirs: http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/Accessories_c33.htm

Now, the VA Red is said to NOT need casing, at only $13.99 LB, that's a steal.

Cigar tobacco doesn't need casing.

Read here: http://www.leffingwell.com/download/TobaccoFlavorBook.pdf

burge

All fermenting is the pressing of the leaves together under some sort of pressure. You can make your own simply with sugar and water. Tobacco inherits flavours. You can put an apple slice in your tobacco can and the tobacco will absorb the flavour of the apple. Casings will work like that as well

Status
Not open for further replies.