Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Best and worst performers in the very hot sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Busy topping my plants, I thought I will tell a little about my grow.

The best performers for me in our heat (sometimes 42 C) Havana 608, Dom Olor, Penn and Conn Broadleaf (Conn B Leaf lovely big unblemished wrapper leaves- Penn B Leaf a few scorched leaves, but lots of wrapper leaf) Hacienda del Cura- Man I like this plant, HUGE unscorched leaves, first time I grew it and highly impressed. Good old Little Dutch are once again hanging in there, what a beautiful plant, no hassle growing it. Wrapper-Bezuki wrapper did well, will plant it again.

Criollo, Criollo 98, Amarillo Parado and Coroja was okay, but think I will give them a miss next year.

The once that didn`t do well, and I will definitely not grow again soon. Kelly Burley, stayed yellow even after loads of fertlizer. Machu Pichu and Quatamalan wrapper can`t handle our heat, not many wrapper leaves, okay for fillers. Think if I want to grow them I must use shade net to protect them from the heat.

All the best brothers!!!
Ben

chuditch

Still happening here Ben our season is so confused. But going out to water the little darlings twice a day and they all seem to be doing well. Some of mine haven't grown very high not like the descriptions I have of them while others are going to a decent height and vigour so those are the ones will save seeds from. Got to love the 42 C days don't you I dont know about the plants wilting but I do ha ha. Only had one day of 40 so far so fingers crossed might be a cooler summer for us. I have all mine under bird netting and I think that does give them a bit of shade. Growing some sunflowers to provide some with shade and will be good chicken food too

Ben Brand

Good post, your underperformers might be good bets for people in the cold regions to check out.
Agree, but in our hot sun they were just not up to it. But it was unusually hot and dry this year.
Forgot to add Vuelta Abajo, they were okay, but will give them a skip also next season, very timid, small leaved plant.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
That Kelly. Is a natural yellow plant. I grew it once..its a white stalk burley

rustycase

This place does qualify for direct, hot sun.
The most impressive growth I have seen is from Black Mammoth, Florida Sumatra, Little Dutch, and Bursa.
No special attention, or fertilizers used, marginal dirt, with good drainage.
ymmv
rc

wrapper

Interesting post Ben. In our heat wave the worst performer was Criollo 98 followed by K Burley. Best was Cyprus Latakia type (Smyrna?) which seems to thrive on thin sandy soil and does not mind the heat. Average performance in the heat from the others: Maryland, Conn B, Virginia types etc. And that Rustica seems just plain stubborn and indestructible in the heat and drought, but I won't grow it again as I have no real use for it! Will treat this year as a big learning curve and focus on suitable cigar types from now on. Some of these will be grown in full sun under white shade cloth.

Frozenthunderbolt

This place does qualify for direct, hot sun.
The most impressive growth I have seen is from Black Mammoth, Florida Sumatra, Little Dutch, and Bursa.
No special attention, or fertilizers used, marginal dirt, with good drainage.
ymmv
rc
Little Dutch is a beast! It is the only tobacco that I have seen shrug off multiple killer frosts and keep on growing too!

chuditch

Well I am about to find out with a forecast of 40+ every day this week (thats 105F to 110F) going to be so bloody hot not looking forward to it. Best I can think of is to go out and give them a cooling water a couple of times a day to cool the soil and increase the humidity then a good water at night

Status
Not open for further replies.