Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Companion plants tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavroche

Hello,

In organic agriculture, we can make associations of plants win /win.

Example : associations of the most ancient, and that no doubt, are those of the vegetables with the flowers. Among these, the most well-known and most-used are, of course, carnation of India and the concern.

The roots of these two plants secrete a substance nematicide (kills nematodes), and insecticides, while the smell of the leaves of the carnation of India repels whiteflies, flea beetles and aphids and the flowers of marigolds attract hoverflies, the larvae eating the aphids.

Do you know the allies of the tobacco ?

Translate by convertworld.com

squeezyjohn

I'm afraid that I don't think convertworld.com has done a very good translation for you! But I understand what you're trying to ask about tobacco. I like companion planting and I have grown marigolds around my tobacco plants because I know they are good at stopping aphids on tomato plants. I also have had good success growing pumpkins around the edge of the bed and allow them to cover the ground between the tobacco plants because they spread so far from their roots ... this stops the weeds from having enough light to grow between the tobacco and it also keeps the moisture in the ground from being evaporated in summer. I got this idea from the traditional "three sisters" companion planting where squash and pumpkins are grown to spread in between corn plants.

Gavroche

Yes Squeezyjohn you have good understand.

my question : it's the traditional "three sisters" principe for the tobacco... what is your experience ?

Translate by me (lol)

squeezyjohn

Well I didn't grow beans up the tobacco plants like you're supposed to do with corn - I was worried that the climbing beans would damage the leaves. But if you plant the pumpkins a good distance away from the tobacco and then train them to go between the rows it will allow you to get two crops from one space and the pumpkins do keep the weeds away.

The down side is that the pumpkins compete with the lower tobacco leaves for light and sometimes they don't grow in the direction you want! Another disadvantage is that it becomes harder to access your tobacco plants to remove suckers ... but I was growing in raised bed strips with 3 staggered rows of tobacco which I could put 2 pumpkins between the rows and still access all the plants from the path.

Ben Brand

We used to plant marigold at the end of the rows of grapes we planted, many moons ago, good for all kinds of pests. I've also heard that marigold planted and when they flower you plow them into the soil is a good way to prevent nematodes, so is mustard ( think its called mustard) also plowed into the soil, after it was cut.

Gavroche

i see on the web:Les Tagètes (Tagetes sp.)

Ce genre comprend de nombreuses espèces annuelles d'une trentaine de centimètres environ.
Implantation :
Les tagètes sont parfaites pour les cultures dérobées, au pied des tomates, concombres ou autres plantes à fort développement.
tag%C3%A8tes-300x198.jpg

Culture :

• Semer en avril-mai, en poquet ou à la volée en place
  • Semer en godet pour une plantation 1 mois plus tard.
  • Récupérer les graines pour les ressemer .
Pourquoi cultiver des tagètes ?

• Les racines de tagètes sécrètent une substance inhibant la croissance des nématodes, sources de gros dégâts dans les cultures.
  • Les tagètes peuvent également être cultivées comme engrais vert.

By convertworld
The Marigold (Tagetes sp.)This genus includes many species of annual a thirty centimeters approximately.Implementation :The marigold are perfect for the crops to be cultivated, at the foot of the tomatoes, cucumbers, or other plants to grow.Culture :Sow in April-may, in-pocket or on-the-fly placeSemer in the bucket for a plantation 1 month later.Retrieve the seeds for sowing .Why grow marigold ?The roots of marigold secrete a substance inhibiting the growth of nematodes, which are sources of great damage in the crops.The marigold can also be grown as a green manure.

by google translate

Marigolds ( Tagetes sp.)

This genus includes many annuals of about thirty centimeters.

Establishment:

The marigolds are great for catch crops at the foot of tomatoes, cucumbers and other plants with high development .

Culture :

Sow April to May in planting hole or broadcast up
Sow in bucket for planting one month later.
Collect the seeds for replanting .
Why grow marigolds ?

The roots of marigolds secrete a substance inhibiting the growth of nematodes , wholesale sources damage to crops .
The marigolds can also be grown as green manure.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The thing about 3 sisters is all three plants are set it and forget it. Tobacco absolutely requires constant attention. You need to keep stuff away from it so you can tend it, sometimes daily, picking worms, breaking suckers etc.

Your three sisters tobacco patch is tobacco, you and you hehe.

squeezyjohn

The thing about 3 sisters is all three plants are set it and forget it. Tobacco absolutely requires constant attention. You need to keep stuff away from it so you can tend it, sometimes daily, picking worms, breaking suckers etc.

Your three sisters tobacco patch is tobacco, you and you hehe.

I'm afraid that's just not true over here in the UK ... and I'd guess France as well ... I can leave my plants for weeks at a time in the summer and they do fine ... apart from suckering them after flowering which I agree you need to be able to get at the plants for that. They never run short of water in an English summer. We don't have these hornworms, cutworms and other nasties that you do in the states.

My long beds are all 5 foot wide with paths in-between ... I can happily get 3 staggered rows of big tobacco plants with some leaves overhanging the paths and allow 2 pumpkin plants to trail in between the rows while still being able to remove suckers at an arms length from the path.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I had none of those pests before either. The third or fourth year I had tobacco worms, I was so surprised. It was the length and girth of my middle finger.

Gavroche

SmokesAhoy "I had none of those pests before either. The third or fourth year I had tobacco worms, I was so surprised. It was the length and girth of my middle finger."

what is your treatment ? biological or chemical to get rid of it ?

quel est votre traitement ? biologique ou chimique pour s'en débarrasser ?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
They're so big you just grab them and step on them. I believe most pesticides will kill them too. traumatisme contondant

ChinaVoodoo

We used to plant marigold at the end of the rows of grapes we planted, many moons ago, good for all kinds of pests. I've also heard that marigold planted and when they flower you plow them into the soil is a good way to prevent nematodes, so is mustard ( think its called mustard) also plowed into the soil, after it was cut.

I have found mustard to be a perennial weed where I planted it.

Gavroche

My question in this subject was: which are the plants which get along well with the tobacco and use mutually to push(grow).

That is why a member(limb) spoke three sisters...

Ma question dans ce sujet était : quelles sont les plantes qui s'entendent bien avec le tabac et s'aident mutuellement à pousser.

C'est pour cela qu'un membre a parlé des trois sœurs...

squeezyjohn

Sorry - I was responding to ChinaVoodoo about planting mustard as a cover crop. I've never used mustard as a companion plant for anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.