Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Talking Semi Auto Shot Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmaxB

Going to be buying a few friends next week. One I'm looking at pretty hard is a Semi automatic shot gun for home defense and the woods. Having a hard time choosing I need to stay under $900 and want a 5 plus shell capacity, mix of shell length, accurate, and dependable.

Also thinking about a Mauser M48...

Any thoughts?

Brent

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
458 socom upper, can get them for less than 500 on sale, drops right on to your ar15 lower and essentially replicates a 45-70, using your same mags and everything. Only worth it if you reload- you strike me as a guy that probably already does.

I know it's not a shotgun, but it's great for us up here where shots don't normally happen very far in the woods.

If you are set on a shotgun saiga does some magfed but IMO the ar set up as a 458 makes more sense if you will be using slugs.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
AmaxB, You are quite the DIYer. You can buy AR15 lower receivers that are 80%complete and finish them yourself. The jig will cost about 80-100 and the lowers are about 40 to 60. You can also save money by building your own upper. No registration, no serial numbers... and all legal. You could spend another 100 and get a Slide Fire stock to make your AR full auto... again.. all legal.

But

Home defense surrounded by woods. Yeah it sounds like a shotgun would more suit your purposes though.

Now, for home defense I look at it this way. For an outside perimeter scenario: Everybody and his brother own a semi auto rifle. If bad guys were to approach your house it would be.. they go bang bang, you go bang bang, etc etc. But if they go bang bang.. and you go full auto bangbangbangbang they would high tail it out of there and go look for easier prey.

For me: a Semi auto rifle (AR or AK) for outside defense. For inside defense: A 45 caliber pistol (Colt Model 1911 or Glock Model 36) . A shotgun for general purpose work.

bonehead

i have (had) a saiga shotgun and it is a good gun for home defence and just blasting. i would recomend one to anyone. i bought a used one and my son borrowed it. i will never get it back unless i borrow it back and i am ok with that. the ak type of action always works flawlessly.

AmaxB

Thanks for the input Jitter & Smokes....
I am looking into the Socom 458 and working up an AR, I was under the impression a milling machine or CNC was needed for the AR build but am seeing that, that may no be true. The Socom is appealing for the take down power I was looking at the Ar and AK in a shop yesterday but the round seems more for injury than the targets end coming in a 223 or 5.56. The idea of no numbers I really like / if it is unknown it won't be looked for.
I can see I need to do a bit of home work!
When for the most part I unplug form most things I will be doing reloads the 1911 is covered along with a few other friends but I feel I need to be more rounded. A Semi-A shot gun will happen as an all around piece. I was reviewing the post WII Mauser last night and strip clips using a 308 round. But I'm liking what you Good Folks have to say...and am off to learn something.
Thanks guys

Smokin Harley

Going to be buying a few friends next week. One I'm looking at pretty hard is a Semi automatic shot gun for home defense and the woods. Having a hard time choosing I need to stay under $900 and want a 5 plus shell capacity, mix of shell length, accurate, and dependable.

Also thinking about a Mauser M48...

Any thoughts?

Brent
Dependable shotgun...semi auto... 5 shot availability . I'd go with a Mossberg or Remington.
Personally I like the top thumb safety of the Mossberg and their solid meat n potatoes ,no-bullshit construction. Its not made to be pretty , its made to consistently go boom when its asked .

AmaxB

Dependable shotgun...semi auto... 5 shot availability . I'd go with a Mossberg or Remington.
Personally I like the top thumb safety of the Mossberg and their solid meat n potatoes ,no-bullshit construction. Its not made to be pretty , its made to consistently go boom when its asked .

Been looking at those too and have a few bookmarked - another Veper pretty much any load shot to slug

Gdaddy

The thumb safety on the Mossberg is where it belongs IMHO. They make model 930 SPX 8 shot 18.5" barrel and an excellent price to boot.

bonehead

thumb safetys are great when outdoors hunting in winter with gloves on. that is one of the reasons i like the older ruger 2 position safetys on the bolt action rifles for deer hunting. that far up in maine i could see you wearing gloves for a few months out of the year.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I can't own a gun...so I got 4 bulldogs....and am capable of making some mean spitballs

AmaxB

Spit Balls - blind em.. the 12 gauge is good in close an that VEPR can be accurate to 100 yards but so can many others. Big thing can be to fill a tube or push a mag the mag would be faster and could hold 12 rounds.
I was looking around this morning and notice a Bump Stock can be gotten for the VEPR 12 Gauge. The Ruagar Mini 14 is interesting and the Mossburg 930 SPX is nice can get an extended tub for it too but you still need to push each shell inti the tube...
Have a look at a bump stock in action on a 12 gauge-----> might put lead in your pencil :cool:

rustycase

I can read clearly you are looking for auto feeders but had to say it's difficult to beat the Remington 870 or the Mossberg 500.
ymmv
rc

AmaxB

Go back 30 years I would never dream of owning something like this. But given the change that has and may come you think on it.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Check out what the guys at tromix do with those saiga shotguns. Can't open a link to post, at work.

chuditch

my favourite in my collection is one of your American ones. Hope this makes you all a little jealous.
Its an 1897 Winchester 12ga Trench Gun and from its serial number know that it was manufactured in the first production run for the US forces in 1939. So the powers that be knew then that America would be drawn into WW11. These models came from Winchester with the flaming bomb and property of the US on the left side of the receiver the WW1 models were hand stamped. These pump actions slam fire very impressive. Can understand why the Germans didn't like them in WW1. The ability to fit a bayonet is always a nice touch on a home defence shotgun as is the hand guard so I don't burn my fingers :D. I also have a Spencer that was in your Civil War and a Winchester lever action shot gun with serial number 5006 which puts its manufacture as Jan/Feb 1897 :D
And just finished shredding some tobacco for cigarettes amazing how much less my wife and I are both smoking with this grow your own tobacco. Much nicer smoke nice papers using the Vera Cruz Midnight and did a count and we have between us only smoked 2500 since christmas 2015 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.