Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Systemic Herbicide or pesticide

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Acephate (systemic pesticide) has a half-life of 10 - to 14 days, maybe longer, lots of variables.
Round-Up (herbicide) even longer. (but it supposedly degrades quickly in the soil)

I use acephate, need to, or I'd lose my crop to aphids & hornworms. Other pesticides work but are too sensitive to weather conditions, or too short-term. Since I can stop spraying acephate about the time I top the plants, then go through curing and storage, I'm not using the crop for at least a year, or longer. By then, the pesticide has essentually degraded to non-harmful compounds, I figure less that one-part-per-billion. Besides, lead/arsenic content of the soils are higher than that in this area.
If I'd worry about harmful chemicals in my tobacco, I'd first ask why the phuck am I smoking anyway.

Last edited:

Smokin Harley

How long does a systemic herbicide/ Pesticide stay in a plant? Does it ever come to 0% residue in the plant, if it does ?
what are we talking about here, Ben?
It has been said some pesticides are leached out of the (top) soil ,natural root area or dissipate over time but I really believe that if it leaches ,it simply goes down into the natural water table and over time it will build up if it is used long enough.
Residue in the plant though, thats a tough one. I would like to think the plant ,if left to grow long term, could possibly adapt or rid itself of the residue through normal leaf function. Depends on many factors including the chemical ,the rate of exposure, and the health of the plant .
I don't like to spray anything if it is at all possible .Grow disease resistant plants, companion plant , natural pesticides or hand pick bugs/affected plant parts.
The way I see pesticides ...if it says anywhere on the label (MSDS) "poison, Danger, do not ingest" or anything even close and you're thinking of putting it on something edible or in our case smokeable ...I'll pass.
BUT, sometimes you just have to do something about a garden/crop problem.

squeezyjohn

I would only ever use glyphosate (the main chemical in roundup) on land I wasn't going to use for consumable crops. The big chemical companies keep spinning this myth that the active ingredient disappears when it hits the soil ... but there's tons of evidence that suggests that is absolute garbage - it's just that the companies and government agencies are constantly discrediting it. Sorry if that sounds like conspiracy - but glyphosate is very toxic to people and does stay in the ground to be taken up in trace quantities by crops you may want to consume.

One of the amazing things about growing your own tobacco (or growing your own anything) is that you know everything that goes on with your planting ... and you can get yourself a completely 100% organic - chemical free product ... who wouldn't do that for the sake of a little weeding or manual pest control???

squeezyjohn

Oh sorry Ben, I just realised you were talking about that situation outside your control ... I definitely would consign that crop to the dustbin. Life's too precious to smoke or chew leaf that's had glyphosate on it.

chuditch

Weather you are for or against glyphosate you have to feel for Ben what a bugger the land lords vassals spraying his crop with it. Not something you would do to your crop of your own volition regardless of your views on it as a chemical. I would have been so annoyed weeks of work, pampering, tending down the drain and yes I wouldn't probably use the leaves from those plants
But I did like LeftyRighty's comment.
"If I'd worry about harmful chemicals in my tobacco, I'd first ask why the phuck am I smoking anyway."
Hope the rest of your crop is ok Ben. Mine is taking off now and I am priming some of the leaves all ready

Oh sorry Ben, I just realised you were talking about that situation outside your control ... I definitely would consign that crop to the dustbin. Life's too precious to smoke or chew leaf that's had glyphosate on it.

Ben Brand

Topped my plants a week ago, the suckers that`s growing looks okay, nice and green. I think I will break off all the leaves, leave the plants to grow the suckers, reap, cure them and stash them away for a few years. See what happens!!!

Gavroche

Pests are dangerous, they eat our food, devour our homes, transmit or cause human diseases, harm our clothing. So, it is important to regularly inspect your home and garden to prevent bug infestation. Exterminator Brookfield CT protects your space with the help of best and experienced professionals.

The parasites eat even the deaths, it is to say little of respect that they have for us.... bastards parasites...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
The say I see it is ;

You really don't have a choice..either use the position.or loose your crop to aphids and hornworms.
My first year of growing I didn't have any poison and my crop suffered heavily...I was thinking I grew it just to feed the bugs.

Now I will not plant without it..I use systemic Pokemon at the time of transplanting..and spray for hornworms weekly.when I notice they are in season..

Jack in NB

Founding Member
Gav - my aphids get a shower bath of Ivory dish soap. Cleans them up beautifully!

I apply it as soon as I spot the critters. They're usually found on the top tender leaves first, and in the emerging flowers, then will spread to the lower leaves. And I've found if I wait, they seem to spread out both ways from the infected plants.

Ivory is a liquid dish soap sold here (not a detergent). Mixed 1 teaspoon per litre, sprayed over the infected leaves top and bottom. A second application is usually needed to catch the new crop hatching from the eggs, and sometimes a third. If liquid soap isn't available, detergent might work (I haven't tried it) - I'd do a test run early on to see if it causes damage to the leaf.

Totally organic, rain washes it off, and my tobacco has never tasted soapy!

Gavroche

Thank you Jack, I had made it on my rosebushes last year but too much soft soap ( natural soap) and the sun burned sheets(leaves) I am going to redo tries(essays)

Status
Not open for further replies.