Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Do Stems add flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Buffalo

Pete Johnson who owns Tatuaje and works closely with Don Pepin Garcia just posted on Facebook with a picture of a variety of cigars and the stems found in them. He contends that they are in many cigars no matter the price point and they are a crucial part of the blend.
Has anyone here tried leaving the stem in to see if there are any flavor changes to a blend? This is possibly just an excuse so they don't have to take the time to remove them, but I am curious. I have also heard that it can strengthen a cigar.

image.jpg

ArizonaDave

Pete Johnson who owns Tatuaje and works closely with Don Pepin Garcia just posted on Facebook with a picture of a variety of cigars and the stems found in them. He contends that they are in many cigars no matter the price point and they are a crucial part of the blend.
Has anyone here tried leaving the stem in to see if there are any flavor changes to a blend? This is possibly just an excuse so they don't have to take the time to remove them, but I am curious. I have also heard that it can strengthen a cigar.

View attachment 17517

Yes, it actually adds more flavor. Whole stemmed Entubado method like Tim Torres (old cuban style). You can get a more pronounced flavor of what you're looking for. I do a lot of them without for a more even burn in the smaller cigars, but one I might burn on the weekend will have stems.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I always figured it was added because no matter the price point it still adds to the bottom line. Dried puffed reconstituted etc. I see people list them as an ingredient because they add flavor, are higher in nicotine than lamina are more aroma etc.
I think it's all a line of bs, people trying to use a waste product to bulk up their premium product. Taste is subjective so who can say, but I know there is a premium placed on coffee beans that pass through the bowels of small creatures before roasting, grinding and sipping daintily with pinky finger erect.

I'll take my tobacco without the chaff and I'd like to be the first one to consume my coffee, thank you all the same.

ChinaVoodoo

I stopped removing them and it dramatically sped up my rolling. I also haven't had a tight draw on anything since I changed my technique about twenty cigars ago.

Gavroche

Remove carefully the stalks of sheets(leaves) me made lose 20 % of the weight. The need for taste makes above all my for the purse

Matty

I don't think they change the flavour all that much but I leave them in because the ashes hold on stronger so there's less chance of them unexpectedly falling off. They also help they way I bunch entubado.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Are you guys talking about the whole midrib? Or just leaving in the thin veins remaining on a frogged leaf?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Oh well that makes sense then. Thought you guys were talking the whole midrib down to the stem.

ArizonaDave

I would think it would only be a frog-legged leaf. The bottom part of the vein is more of a stem and is way too thick.

True. For example a broadleaf stem or a wrapper stem would prove to be a bit too much, whereas, a frog-legged filler the stem is just a little more the size of a vein. I guess it comes down to smoke what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.