Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzappenning

there seems to be a few of us here. well anyways hi. im here to try to get away from radioactive ingredients in my smokes. i started rolling lately when i heard about the fsc papers, and then realized that the tobacco has polonium from phosphate based fertilizers. ill admit smoking is bad, but it doesnt have to be this bad.

so im hoping to get in touch with other tobacco growers from the edmonton area, for info and also maybe some seeds from plants acclimatized to our weather. i would like my first crop to be successful instead of only next year.

thanks in advance for any help

Tom_in_TN

Welcome to the forum. I'm a long ways from Alberta, but always wanted to visit. Seems to be some other Canadians on the board so it won't be long before they will be popping in to welcome you.

Smoking home grown tobacco is good for a person.

prairiefarmer

Welcome to the forum. I dont know much about tobacco yet either, but there is a lot of friendly people on here who really know their stuff when it comes to tobacco. If you have any questions, just ask and you'll probably find an answer pretty quick.

Tony

wazzappenning

thanks guys

bob, i have about a 10x9 foot garden, and in canada you are allowed to grow 15 kilograms (a little over 30 pounds) per person. the best i could find was 30 plants a person = 15 kg . i of course want to grow virginia, but also a little burley to blend in.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Wazz,
In a 10'x9' garden, you could theoretically grow 24 plants at 3.75 sq.ft. per plant, but that would leave no access to the middle of the garden. If you run a 3' wide path down the center of the length, then you would have two 10'x3' beds. With staggered planting of two long rows per bed, you could fit 8 plants per bed, or a total of 16 plants. Your max yield of stemmed, cured leaf would be about 1/3 pounds per plant, or about 5 pounds of smokable leaf. That's the max. Some have seen much lower results.

Code:

Bob

Tman

Welcome aboard Wass. You have gotten off to a good start, joining this site. We have ppl here that can help in your growing of baccy.

wazzappenning

thanks guys. once again the canadian laws are sketchy. it says 15 kg per year per person of manufactured. you might be ok if you only have 15 kg prepared to smoke at a time, but im not sure. also, i was hoping to get more than that out of my garden, maybe ill have to tear up some more lawn, or try the pail thing. seems like id have an awful lot of pails scattered around. not sure i want that. i have dogs that like to eat the grass around the garden, and anything else they can reach that they think is tasty. i could see tobacco being a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.