Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Matty's pipe coin slicer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matty

Thought I'd already put some pics of this thing on here somewhere, guess I was dreaming!
This is a very basic slicer, the tobacco is manually advanced. I built this several years ago to shred cigarette tobacco, then I bought a teck1. Alright, here we go.

-Base is mild steel, 44w (used what I found in the scrap).
-Knife bed is hardened CHT400.
-Knife is an old file.
-Tobacco bed is a scrap of 2"x2"x1/4" 304L stainless (used what I found in the scrap).
-Handle is 1/4" pipe (happens to be SA53 sch40).
-The bolt is just a random shoulder bolt with a 1" long shoulder.
-The spring I found lying around, fits loose on the shoulder bolt.

First, I torch cut the tobacco hole close to the finished size of the angle iron. Then I drilled and tapped a hole for the bolt. Next I welded the base, knife bed and angle together. After welding I ground the inside of the tobacco hole to be flush with the angle iron. After all the welding, machining and grinding I hardened the knife bed, no tempering, I just left it glass hard. After hardening I honed the face of the knife bed with a flat plate and large square of 200 grit paper, finishing with just a bit of 400 grit.

Making the knife. Trimmed an old file to an appropriate length and welded the handle on one end and a plain flat washer on the other. After welding I ground the back of the file flat to take all the file's teeth off. I also honed that a bit too. While doing the welding and grinding I kept everything cool with some water so I wouldn't have to re-harden the blade. The knife edge is a single bevel. The hole in the washer (on the blade) was bored out to fit nicely on the shoulder bolt. There's a spring on the shoulder bolt to keep the blade pressed flat against the knife bed.

All the work was done with oxy fuel cutting torch, angle grinder, drill press, file and welder. I think that's everything. Simple design but slightly advanced shop work.

Attachments

• 2016-01-23 00.17.28.jpg
    2016-01-23 00.17.28.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 2016-01-23 00.16.54.jpg
    2016-01-23 00.16.54.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 2016-01-23 00.16.12.jpg
    2016-01-23 00.16.12.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 23

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
That's sweet, and talk about overbuilt! Your grandsons 15 generations from now could still be using it! Nice work!

Matty

For sure! After all it's pretty much a hunk of steel, just knocked off all the sharp edges, didn't do much "finishing". Nothing was measured by the way, just used my highly calibrated eyeballs lol.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Excellent job! You should stamp it "Tobacco Slicer" because 50 years from now people will be posting a pic of that on the internet and asking " Anyone know what this is?".. :)

Matty

I did at one point intend to create some mechanics for it to advance the leaf but moved on to other projects. If I ever make it to retirement I'm gonna be a whole lotta trouble! Lol.
Thanks for the acknowledgement guys, it means a lot to me.

MarcL

That is a nice looking slicer Matty! I use a tuck cutter for all my shredding needs so, that's my style. That thing looks so well made!

IMG_0053.jpg

Brown Thumb

Nice work, Basic and Simple:)
Watch you fingers as Bex would say;)

Matty

Actually, that exact video was most of my inspiration. It showed me how simple a shredder could be. Thanks for puttin' the link in here ChinaVoodoo. I don't use it quite that fast, close but not quite. Brown Thumb, you're not the first one to tell me that! Lol. Also, for shredding cigarette tobacco I roll a tight "cigar" like in Marc L's pic, no bigger than 1" diameter an as long as the leaf allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.