Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Home made humidors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaDave

For a while now, and per conversations with SmokinHarley, I've been thinking of making a home made humidor out of a solid oak Rum barrel, and found this site: http://www.homebrewing.com/homebrew-barrels.php also here: http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Wood-Barrels.html http://www.hillbillystills.com/product-category/post-run-flavoring-aging/oak-barrels/ similar to what La Aurora cigars does with their tobaccos. It may be a while before I actually get into this project, but I thought there were many of us like Ben Brand and others coming up with creative ways to store Cigars.

I wanted to take it a step further, and come up with a way to store and age tobaccos in Spanish Cedar, where in theory, they retain the Spanish cedar flavor or Oak flavor, or whatever your preference may be.

Hopefully over time this will grow, and we'll see the resilience of WLT members, and their plans.

If you have a home made humidor, or an idea for making one, please post here.

BarG

Founding Member
I just inherited a wine making supply apparatus, a 15 bottle set up of the best grape wine you could buy, believe me, its bad a ss

ArizonaDave

probably would not hurt, oak is fullof tannins though, would that have any effect?

works great for whiskey, heh heh

check old perique posts with Bigbonners whiskey barrel perique

Thanks, definitely will. Without looking on a map, I'd say he's probably close to the lexington container company. Now I've got a lot of research ahead of me with tannins, how to cut the top (or if pre-cut), put hinges on it to make it like a door, etc... You've been a big help!

BigBonner

Founding Member
I haven't been to lexingtoncontainer for a while . They are doing a lot of prep sales for when the big day cones and we have to eat food stored in a bucket .They are teaching survival classes and sell survival containers .
They did have a lot of 50 gallon oak barrels . Used and new one in different grades .
I bough from lexingtoncontainer a used small 15 gallon oak one from heaven hill distillery's . I believe I paid around $160 for it . The smell inside was very pleasant / heaven . They did have some small used and new ones at the time I bought my small one . I bought 6 big 50 gallon a few years ago and I know their prices have gone way up since then .

ArizonaDave

I haven't been to lexingtoncontainer for a while . They are doing a lot of prep sales for when the big day cones and we have to eat food stored in a bucket .They are teaching survival classes and sell survival containers .
They did have a lot of 50 gallon oak barrels . Used and new one in different grades .
I bough from lexingtoncontainer a used small 15 gallon oak one from heaven hill distillery's . I believe I paid around $160 for it . The smell inside was very pleasant / heaven . They did have some small used and new ones at the time I bought my small one . I bought 6 big 50 gallon a few years ago and I know their prices have gone way up since then .

It seems to be a peppers theme today, no matter what thread I'm on.......thx

ArizonaDave

I'm thinking the 15 gallon might just be alright. Although IF for just leaf storage, I'm not sure what the right size would be. I'm looking for an alternative to this: m-humcool_view3.jpg

Smokin Harley

you could try it but keep in mind oak is not typically a stable wood . It will not do well with 70% humidity kept inside , what will happen most likely is it will warp over time and not seal correctly . When a barrel stave is made it is somewhat a mated surface between staves, but then liquid is introduced(whiskey,wine,etc) it swells up to finish the seal. Maple, Cherry and Mahogany are more suitable for fluxuating humidity .

ArizonaDave

you could try it but keep in mind oak is not typically a stable wood . It will not do well with 70% humidity kept inside , what will happen most likely is it will warp over time and not seal correctly . When a barrel stave is made it is somewhat a mated surface between staves, but then liquid is introduced(whiskey,wine,etc) it swells up to finish the seal. Maple, Cherry and Mahogany are more suitable for fluxuating humidity .

I'm thinking maybe lower case leaf might work? As opposed to a humidor type? Maple and Cherry might work.....I think I remember DeluxeStogie telling BenBrand that Mahogany isn't good for cigar tobaccos.

Gavroche

I think that wood for rifle butts should suit beech, maple, cherry tree or wild cherry...

Why? Because rifle butts are subjected(submitted) to big constraints and not to deform is in the specifications...

Smokin Harley

I'm thinking maybe lower case leaf might work? As opposed to a humidor type? Maple and Cherry might work.....I think I remember DeluxeStogie telling BenBrand that Mahogany isn't good for cigar tobaccos.
You should probably still line it with spanish cedar no matter what the box is made of

LewZephyr

And I am sure you know, but its got to be Spanish Cedar. Not the regular version.

Not a true cedar, Spanish Cedar is actually more closely related to true Mahoganies (Swietenia andKhaya genera), as both are in the Meliaceae family.

ArizonaDave

You should probably still line it with spanish cedar no matter what the box is made of

And I am sure you know, but its got to be Spanish Cedar. Not the regular version.

Not a true cedar, Spanish Cedar is actually more closely related to true Mahoganies (Swietenia andKhaya genera), as both are in the Meliaceae family.

Both of you are right.....it will be lined with spanish cedar, no matter what shape the outer box will be. I've even thought about a Coolerdoor type, but with full shelves of Spanish cedar. I keep going back in my mind what would work best on my rolling table. I keep a lot of leaf, as in I might only use a half a pound, then put the rest away for later....just in case a new filler, binder or wrapper might be in stock at a later time that might be the perfect match for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.