Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

wrapper crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Buffalo

Take the Maduro and dunk it for about 30 seconds in a 5 gal pail of water...shake it out and repeat. Then hang in to drip for about 45 min to an hour. then unfold the leaves flat, if too dry add some water otherwise hang for another 30 min. Strip the center vein and lay in a stack to of the leaf up (one will be forward on will be backward) Roll from each end as in a scroll and put in zip lock back and into fridge for 1-2 days. Now put the wrapper on the cigar and you will get the flavor that was meant to be. When you learn to case the wrapper then you will get the most from it.If I can one of these days I will have the wife do a video so you can see how I do it.

A Video would be very appreciated. Do you do this for all wrappers or only maduro?

Smokin Harley

It seems that we (or at least I) am heading for a crisis when it comes to wrappers. Don's stock is very low and getting lower by the day. The pa oscuro has been removed from his site. Many others are out of stock so we are left with only a couple of choices. For those like me who lean toward the darker maduro type wrappers it becomes a serious issue. I am wanting to re order some filler. But unless I can get the kind of wrapper I am after there isn;t much point. I have been experimenting with wrapper selected from filler or binder leaves with some success but that Is not good for anything other than experimentation because there is no guarantee of getting a suitable amount of wrapper quality leaves from filler or binder.

My taste in cigars leans heavily to sticks like. La Aroma de cuba, Pretty much anything Padron, La gloria Cubana, torano exodus, and almost anything with a chocolaty brown wrapper :) so at this point I really have no clue what the solution will be.
Ecuador Maduro or try a Corojo

charlie G.

Thanks for that process RW I'll have to give it a try with some Ecuador maduro wrapper.

Tfrankz

Whatever you do do not order from the other place. Very not happy with some of the leaf i got. Their customer service said its dry outside we cannot do anything to keep the leaf moisture more than me and to just add moisture back to the leaf. (Tip do not put small holes all over your bags) Cannot use as wrapper or binder now because in transit it put holes all in the leaf and the green spots mold up when moisture was added. Stay away.

Just have to wait and buy smaller amount at times.

Thanks Don for the great leaf in the past and cannot wait for some more good leaf to come.

waikikigun

and lay in a stack to of the leaf up (one will be forward on will be backward)

I don't understand this part. There is some word missing or something and I can't figure out what it's supposed to say.

Raodwarior

yes I do this with all leave although hanging times will vary. And yes I stack them all in one pile this way I am usually rolling one leaf right hand and the next leaf left hand.

Raodwarior

One it helps take the humidity out of the wrapper, also helps prevent early mold. I also think and this is just my take on it, that I helps with the elasticity of the leaf as well.

Smokin Buffalo

Roadwarior, how do you hang the leaves? Also what is your prep for binder and filler? Is that just spray at time of use or is there a series of steps for them as well? Thank you for this info. It's the kind of info you can't find anywhere else.

Raodwarior

Smokin... I use the Zip-Loc 6.6 gallon weatherproof totes to store the filler that I have currently out of the vapor proof bags that Don ships in. I keep them covered with a piece of "flour sack cloth" and I lightly mist that with distilled water the day before I plan to roll with that filler. For the binder I do the same the day before I plan to strip with about 3 time the amount I use on the filler, then I put the binder leaves in a slightly damp cloth after striping so they retain more moisture, I like my binder a bit damper than most. Going to try to get my wife to shoot some video in the next couple of weeks so everyone that is interested can see. I your case since your so close feel free to call me and set up sometime to come out and I can show you as well.

Smokin Buffalo

Roadwarior, I will definitely do that. Hopefully in a few weeks I will be free to come down for a few hours. I will call you to set up a time when I am free in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.