Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Trying different strains this year.( my list )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
After a lot of research.. I've decided this year I'm going heavy on the Turkish strains..and growing 2 tried and proven strains..any input on my selection is appreciated..

Proven strains...

Yellow twist bud
Virginia bright leaf.

New strains.

Samsum
Chatterton
Bafra
Yellow mammoth
Bonanza.

My patch will be bigger this year..and I'm planting them a lot closer to each other..I'll be pulling the heating mats out of the shed today..we start the seeds tonight..

If anyone has any info. On my choices I'd like to hear it.."" Size..yeild..e.t.c.

Smokin Harley

Its mid February and the plot planning begins...I'll have to go look through my box of seeds and see what I have and pick 8-10 to grow this year. It was easy last year after the veggies swamped out to concentrate on the tobacco. Hoping this year brings a better and fruitful (pun intended) garden harvest.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I went and got some ""deep"" seed trays..I've got 4 tillers..I like to hit it with my front time tiller first.to go deep.then come back in 2 months with my rear time tiller....well I wore out my front time tiller.its done.
And my Troy bilt horse is acting up..its as if the gear box is stuck..its not wanting to spin..but smoking the belts..but I acquired a Troy bilt " pony".I've got to swap motors to see if it works..I'm sure it does.it looks to be in good shape..that's why I like to start at this time..to make sure all my equipment is 100%..don't want to encounter no issues.at the time for planting.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
Did you mean Catterton? I grew it last year. Shorter plants with a squat habit. Mild smelling leaves. I haven't really done anything major with the leaves yet. Got plenty of seed if you need it. I bagged a really great plant last year.

Brown Thumb

Good choices,
the bonanza is a great producer so is the Yellow mammoth.
The catterton was always a pita. Tho it is nice in a blend.

DonH

I also want to go heavy on Turkish this year. I like Izmir Ozbas and Prilep for taste and production. Bursa and Basma are nice, too.

Alpine

A very interesting choice: bonanza was on my list for this year, but i substituted it with symbol 4. Keep us posted about your growing, i'd like to try some "mammoths " too next year (white, yellow and Maryland) if i get the chance to obtain some seeds.
Cheers
Pier

DGBAMA

I also want to go heavy on Turkish this year. I like Izmir Ozbas and Prilep for taste and production. Bursa and Basma are nice, too.

If wind damage is a concern, I find Bursa to be more resistant to blow down than most of the others too.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Man did I luck out...I went to our local junkyard..just to see what was there..I haven't been there in a while.

Well they now have a lawn mower section.for parts
Well I seen a ""troy-bilt pony""" a smaller version of the horse which I have..I gave the guy $20...put my motor on it today...and be damned..it works like a champ.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Man am I getting overwhelmed by all the seed trays I got going..and I still have a lot to start..
I believe this year I'll be using my 400 watt h.I.d. light..plus all my c.f.l. grow lights

DGBAMA

Good luck for this grow, you have had a couple years hard luck. I have a move coming this year, so just a minimum maintenance subsistence grow for me.

Here's wishing fertile fields and clean sprayers.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Good luck for this grow, you have had a couple years hard luck. I have a move coming this year, so just a minimum maintenance subsistence grow for me.

Here's wishing fertile fields and clean sprayers.

Lol..most definatlly clean sprayers..
My backpack sprayer took a crap...so I'll be getting me a new one..

I was observing my expanded patch...and I'm gonna get a lot of plants in there this year.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Hello Poulet,

You handle your plants with the chemistry or the organic (biological) ?...

I'm assuming you mean what type of Fertilizer I use.

I use it all...chicken and bat poop...along with 6-6-18 granulated Fertilizer.. And liquid Fertilizer... ( I work for a Fertilizer plant ) I deliver tons of Fertilizer daily to some big farms...you gotta be a big farm to order 25+ tons of it.

Brown Thumb

Man am I getting overwhelmed by all the seed trays I got going..and I still have a lot to start..
I believe this year I'll be using my 400 watt h.I.d. light..plus all my c.f.l. grow lights
Cut it Out, Chicken
Your giving me the Itch to Fill All of these.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
You need to BT...... That new shredder needs a real test.

I hear you my brother..BT may have a new..untested shredder..and mine is now a manual shredder...I'm gonna have to do something to it..and make it powered....that hand crank sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.