Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Blending help

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I have a customer looking for tobacco for the following blend

I was looming at the blend kits you have now just looking for a Maduro wrapper with a filler that contains a cocoa flavor, cream. Haven't had much luck online finding a blend to that

Any opinions are welcome.

ArizonaDave

Connecticut broadleaf, San Andreas, and Ecuador Maduro all have Cocoa qualities. So does Corojo Oscuro.

Cream is trickier, but doable in natural leaf flavors. I "suspect" and haven't had a chance to follow up on, that commercial cigars are sprayed or misted with something like this: http://www.edenbotanicals.com/butter-co2.html

In natural leaf, I've had only 1 recent blend that had "Cream".
2 Criollo 98' Viso
2 Corojo 99' Viso2 San Vincente Ligero
With a **Corojo Oscuro binder and Wrapper. (This has notes of cream, and cocoa, especially when combined with the above blend)

I'm still running blending tests with these 4 types of leaves, and sure wish more on WLT could help with this?
Some of the problems I'm having is with this is these:

1) This blend is more full bodied with the Viso's and Ligero's. If somebody has these in seco's, could you try it and see if it's still Creamy???

2) I'm running low on Corojo Oscuro, so I'm limited as to how many more test blends I can roll.

3) I can't order any more Corojo Oscuro to run more tests, because it's not in stock currently.

It's also possible to get Cream with:

Piloto Cubano Seco**
Nicaraguan Habano Seco**
Brazilian Mata Fina

To add the Cocoa....thanks to Raodwarrior's suggestion, I found that 2 leaves of a Maduro Can bring out the Cocoa flavor of any of these:
any Nicaraguan Habano filler, Criollo 98' filler or other filler with Chocolate undertones........The 2 Maduro leaves help bring that to the forefront.

This is as close as I've personally come. Hopefully others can pick up the ball and carry it the rest of the way!

(** Indicates out of stock items)

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I rolled a cigar that was pure dark chocolate, it used all your criollo 98 types from wrapper to core. Don't know how to get creamy but to my taste criollo is solid chocolate. From memory it was half strip ligero, 1 whole viso, 2 whole seco with the c98 wrapper.

I don't have any more criollo primings except the ligero and I still notice the chocolate when I add it to other blends but not so distinct as when I did that puro.

ArizonaDave

I rolled a cigar that was pure dark chocolate, it used all your criollo 98 types from wrapper to core. Don't know how to get creamy but to my taste criollo is solid chocolate. From memory it was half strip ligero, 1 whole viso, 2 whole seco with the c98 wrapper.

I don't have any more criollo primings except the ligero and I still notice the chocolate when I add it to other blends but not so distinct as when I did that puro.

Criollo definitely has Chocolate with licorice undertones. Great blend! I haven't tried a Criollo 98' puro yet.....I just know it's yummy!

On cream, if you have any Corojo, could you experiment and add some to see "where" the Cream note comes in at?

MarcL

It's in my opinion, that tasting notes are of subjective personal opinion and, can be subliminally suggestive influence.

While I still find them entertaining. I may or may not find them relative to my experience, I have to admit it's objective at least.

Though, there is a lot of this going on here and elsewhere, this thread should fill up quickly.

juan carlos

criollo 98 seco
corojo viso
nic habano binder (seco)
maduro wrap

solid chocolate/cocoa but it needed a few weeks to come together. someone (raodwarrior?) outlined a pretreament on the maduro wrap in a recent post, soak good, hang up for 45 minutes, rollit up and put in the fridge overnite...maybe that would speed up the curing process.
it was still a nice smoke early on but had a lot of spicy mouthfeel that maybe covered the cocoa intially, but it tamed down in 3-4 weeks and the chocolate really came through.

this is one of the few blends i have gone out of my way to reproduce as close as possible.

Matty

I know the last batch of Flojo was fairly creamy. I always found the Mata Fina to bring a lot of cocoa, not chocolate (chocolate would be the PA oscuro). Now, just Flojo, Mata Fina and maduro wrapper would not be a complete blend so perhaps some Criollo 98 seco or viso could round things out. I'd use the Flojo, Mata and Criollo 98 seco as filler, Criollo 98 viso for binder and Maduro wrapper.

waikikigun

Essentially he needs Habano seco and Criollo seco/viso and Corojo seco. But it's a big risk, getting a pound of each and hoping he can find the blend. There is no current kit that exactly fits what he's looking for.

The Ec. Madurdo wrapper will be too spicy/leathery. I don't see this guy putting that wrapper through RaodWarior's special process. Right now he has no good wrapper options.

He needs a kit that is something like Habano seco, Criollo seco, Dom ligero, Dom binder, Mex SA or PA oscuro wrapper. With that he would have a solid chance of being happy.

ArizonaDave

I know the last batch of Flojo was fairly creamy. I always found the Mata Fina to bring a lot of cocoa, not chocolate (chocolate would be the PA oscuro). Now, just Flojo, Mata Fina and maduro wrapper would not be a complete blend so perhaps some Criollo 98 seco or viso could round things out. I'd use the Flojo, Mata and Criollo 98 seco as filler, Criollo 98 viso for binder and Maduro wrapper.
Matty, you're real real close :) to a blend I had cream on before, but with Aleman Seco as the Maduro wrapper. The Mata Fina ½ leaf with two leaves of Flojo viso with Nic. Habano Seco...and in this case Criollo Ligero would probably be the closest to that blend. It was Creamy-Chocolate :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Smokin Harley

I have a customer looking for tobacco for the following blend

I was looming at the blend kits you have now just looking for a Maduro wrapper with a filler that contains a cocoa flavor, cream. Haven't had much luck online finding a blend to that

Any opinions are welcome.
Nicaraguan
Criollo 98
San Vicente
and a Ecuador Maduro wrapper

GGman1023

Hey thanks everyone for the tips and help. I am going to try out some of these ideas on tobaccos and give some feed back. I'm new to rolling. About 6 months in and really enjoy it. Just trying to find a blend that I like most.

Raodwarior

For the Coco or chocolate notes I would use either the Ecuadorian Maduro or San Andreas with half to whole mata fina leaf in the fill (how much depends on the size of the leaf the last ones were very small) and piloto cubano viso with a half leaf of piloto ligero. That's going to be my best idea, your problem comes in the those 2 flavor notes really don't play well together, usually the any cream note get wiped out by the coco/chocolate notes. YMMV

jojjas

One of my first cigar´s that i roll , had a real nice creamy flavor .
I did not take notes at the time ( yeah i am a smarthead:confused: ) and did not remember what leafs i use , and trying eagerly repeat that , so if the secret reveals here i would be greatful for the rest of my life

ArizonaDave

For the Coco or chocolate notes I would use either the Ecuadorian Maduro or San Andreas with half to whole mata fina leaf in the fill (how much depends on the size of the leaf the last ones were very small) and piloto cubano viso with a half leaf of piloto ligero. That's going to be my best idea, your problem comes in the those 2 flavor notes really don't play well together, usually the any cream note get wiped out by the coco/chocolate notes. YMMV

True. That's why Cream notes are a touchy balance. SmokinHarley was correct in bringing in the San Vincente note in the Criollo/Corojo note. It's only the second blend I've ever had that brought both Cream and Cocoa. Piloto Cubano Seco, Flojo Viso, and Mata Fina are the first blend with Cream. Since Vanilla notes are prominent in both Cocoa and Cream......I'll explain. Piloto Cubano and San Vincente both have Vanilla notes. To bring cream, you almost need either a bitter or a sour note, but only a small amount.....at least that's what I've found.

Where's the WLT's resident Chef? LOL, I know we have one, I've read his posts.

Smokin Harley

I usually get creamy notes out of Nicaraguan viso. try adding a 1/2 - 1 leaf of that.

Chris A

Sorry, but for those of us who "borrow" blends, could you please post a complete recipe? Thanks so much. And I'm sorry to be a pain.

ArizonaDave

I usually get creamy notes out of Nicaraguan viso. try adding a 1/2 - 1 leaf of that.
Sure, I'll try that :)

Sorry, but for those of us who "borrow" blends, could you please post a complete recipe? Thanks so much. And I'm sorry to be a pain.

No problem.

Wrapper- Corojo Oscuro OR your choice
Binder- Corojo Oscuro OR your choice
Filler-
2 Criollo 98' Viso
2 Corojo 99' Viso
2 San Vincente Liguero

The other:
Wrapper-(your choice) I used Havana2000
Binder-(your choice) I used 2 Piloto Cubano Seco leaves for even burn
Filler:
4 Piloto Cubano Seco
2 Paraguay African Flojo Viso
¼ to ½ leaf Brazilian Mata Fina--this helps to create a creamy taste with PCS and Paraguay Flojo viso
1 Criollo 98' Liguero

Status
Not open for further replies.