Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Vermont 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I did not grow tobacco last year, and really regretted it seeing the awesome weather we had.

So this year is going to be a grow for revitalizing seed stock as well as smokeless and cigar use. I have a large field I could never tend to by myself but I plan on doing an additional plot there just to catch up on what I need grown. I'll only be doing 10 of each plant, bagging only 1 and selecting for early flowers. Curing is my main issue here, so earlier is better.

Anyhow on to the menu, all x10
Plantana
Jaffna
CTBL
Comstock Spanish
PA Red
Vuelta
Criollo
VA 359
YTB
TN90
GC1
Mahorka

Everything will be stalk harvested and cured tied to rope in the woods where it won't get enough sun to burn and is generally protected from rain (my most successful method yet), then kilned and bagged. I don't know if I will save the lowest quarter of each plant, if I do I'll likely just make a homogenous mix of powder in the ball mill from all the low leaf combined for dry and moist smokeless. It would conceivably be about 4 or so pounds so I could always just hydrate the powder and kiln it in an airtight gallon jar in the kiln shaking it to air it out occasionally. I dunno that's a bit out still. Snuff is my main use and one might go through 5 or so grams a day so this might be a little excessive, but I really need to start spending less on tobacco so time to start growing enough to set aside, the nice thing is powder is very compact and easy to store, and dry powder has no shelf life.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Hey Smokes, How do you "cure in the woods"? Also, you might want to reconsider kilning everything. I only kiln small batches in jars of new varieties so I can try them in 3 weeks. The rest of the stuff I let age naturally. It is ready to smoke within about a year. Saves me the hassle of using my kiln, which by the way I dismantled. I only use my small hotbox now which is enough to do about a dozen quart jars.

Also, the Scandinavian producers of snus do not kiln/age their tobacco. They process it right away. Ageing/kilning allow the bacteria time to convert nicotine/nornicotine in to Tobacco Specific Nitrose Amines (TSNAs)

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I thought the same thing but didn't comment..because I don't know much on cigar varieties..
But just how do you cure in the woods..( must be some MICK DODGE.ingenuity )

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Post harvest has always been my biggest issue, color curing in the woods has been the best method I've tried yet.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Seeds are in as of yesterday, I ended up going with 6 of each variety instead of 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.