Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

chickens 2016 grow blog [ bigger and better ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I got bit by one of them about 20 years ago. I still have a large section of my leg where the skin is discolored from where the flesh fell off. Evidently I had a "mild" bite.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Do you have a transplant date yet?

Not a specific day yet..but it will be very soon..I'm moving my plants to 3" pots..I've got a lot of plants going..and when I do plant them.they are gonna be close and tight..

I'll proablly do one or two rows this weekend.. But one row could hold 80 plants..I'm ready to get them in the ground..the veggie garden is 95% planted...so I'm ready to focus on the bacca patch.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
just to give some guys a insight as to where im at right now in the grow.....gonna pull all potatoes this weekend and start planting

..IMG_20160416_110802412.jpgIMG_20160416_110816242.jpgIMG_20160504_201046374.jpgIMG_20160504_201054374.jpgIMG_20160504_201017610.jpg

i may move my plants too much... but the final resting spot till planting is in these 4'' pots

..IMG_20160504_201037012.jpg

and a peek at the veggie garden

..IMG_20160504_201110982.jpgIMG_20160504_201121587.jpg

some of my plants aint as big as id like them to be.. so ill let them sit in the 4'' pots for a while.... but others are ready to go in the ground,,,

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Well this year my bacca plants will have company...gonna put some Virginia jumbo peanuts with them...damn I love boiled peanuts.

I guess it's a southern thing.???

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Well this year my bacca plants will have company...gonna put some Virginia jumbo peanuts with them...damn I love boiled peanuts.

I guess it's a southern thing.???

We love boiling peanuts. A peanut kettle over an open fire will draw a crowd around here faster than free beer.
I like parched peanuts from the oven too.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Well my company screwed up and sent me home with 21 tons of the best bacca Fertilizer there is...

Of.course I skimmed some off the top...added to what I had..I proablly got a.1/2 ton of the stuff..

I'm set for many grows to come..although I've also got the individual ingredients to make it...its best when pre- mixed by a machine. Verses me guessing how much of this and that to mix.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Well today is the day.

""" we plant today"""

I got to lay my weed barrier mat down..and I'm using carpet in between the rows..I don't want no weeds.
I got 7 rows of. Virginia jumbo peanuts planted.about 450 of them. In

Once I get everything in the ground I'll lay my new irrigation system.

Smokin Harley

Peanuts...now that sounds like an interesting crop. How long do they take from seed to harvest. Wonder if I could grow them up here.
Next question- On one of the tobacco plantation tour videos someone posted last year ,one of the tour guides said they used peanut (maybe shells?) as part of their fertilizer and was said to add or I'm assuming at least elevate the natural oils in tobacco . Do you add peanut shells back in as compost for your tobacco?

Smokin Harley

We love boiling peanuts. A peanut kettle over an open fire will draw a crowd around here faster than free beer.
I like parched peanuts from the oven too.
Last time I went to trade day by my folks place had a cup of boiled peanuts ... Might need to try the parched next time.

Smokin Harley

Well my company screwed up and sent me home with 21 tons of the best bacca Fertilizer there is...

Of.course I skimmed some off the top...added to what I had..I proablly got a.1/2 ton of the stuff..

I'm set for many grows to come..although I've also got the individual ingredients to make it...its best when pre- mixed by a machine. Verses me guessing how much of this and that to mix.
What is the formulation for the tobacco fertilizer?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Peanuts...now that sounds like an interesting crop. How long do they take from seed to harvest. Wonder if I could grow them up here.
Next question- On one of the tobacco plantation tour videos someone posted last year ,one of the tour guides said they used peanut (maybe shells?) as part of their fertilizer and was said to add or I'm assuming at least elevate the natural oils in tobacco . Do you add peanut shells back in as compost for your tobacco?

its odd you ask that....

but yes i do use p-nut shells for part of my soil mixture... i deliver fertilizer to a place and they hull p-nuts for seed...and the scraps [ shells ] all ground up are thrown into a heap. and every time i go there i load up.

youd be amazed to look at the machine they use to do this with... it's a 40's era machine made mostlly of wood. ive seen 2 of them in my area,

heres what my ground up hulls look like,

..IMG_20160515_193523257.jpgIMG_20160515_193531904.jpg

i mix that with whats called '' silage'' which is nothing more than the whole corn plant ground up... we have a lot of dairy farms and thats what they feed thier cows,

..IMG_20160515_193652035.jpg

and then i mix in the coverings of a horse corral farm.. i think its cedar with horse poop in it,

..IMG_20160515_193707864.jpg

and the final mix is some miracle grow potting soil... all that in the ground with some bat poop mixed in... '' and i plant ''

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i didnt get too much done this weekend.... my back is shot, and without my pain pills... i just didnt feel like over-doing it. my plants can wait another week... allthough i did get some mat laid down

...IMG_20160515_113458263.jpgIMG_20160515_193758613.jpg
ill do little by little this week after work... and get some in the ground this weekend....the rows you see to the left of the mat is all my p-nuts,

Smokin Harley

its odd you ask that....

but yes i do use p-nut shells for part of my soil mixture... i deliver fertilizer to a place and they hull p-nuts for seed...and the scraps [ shells ] all ground up are thrown into a heap. and every time i go there i load up.

youd be amazed to look at the machine they use to do this with... it's a 40's era machine made mostlly of wood. ive seen 2 of them in my area,

heres what my ground up hulls look like,

..View attachment 17999View attachment 18000

i mix that with whats called '' silage'' which is nothing more than the whole corn plant ground up... we have a lot of dairy farms and thats what they feed thier cows,

..View attachment 18001

and then i mix in the coverings of a horse corral farm.. i think its cedar with horse poop in it,

..View attachment 18002

and the final mix is some miracle grow potting soil... all that in the ground with some bat poop mixed in... '' and i plant ''
nice...I wonder how much that would be if one had to buy a small truckload (like a 6 wheeler) of it pre-mixed.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
nice...I wonder how much that would be if one had to buy a small truckload (like a 6 wheeler) of it pre-mixed.

I'd love to have a couple tons of it..my sandy soil needs some help..that's why I try to supplement each hole with some organic matter. In about 20 years of doing this perhaps..my soil will be black and rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.