Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ordering Tobacco Seeds from the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerAlbertaner

Hello all,

I'm a Canadian and have recently stumbled upon the world of tobacco growing. I would love to start some plants (though I may be a bit late) but I'm admittedly ignorant of how to source my seeds. There are a few websites I'm interested in buying from but they are all from the U.S.A. and I have no idea what the laws are about buying tobacco seeds from foreign countries. There are a couple Canadian sites I've found but I'm really interested in some of the cigar plants from heirloom tobacco (http://www.heirloomtobacco.com/Seed_Bank.html). Are there any other Canadians here that could educate me about purchasing seeds from abroad? I just want to make sure I'm playing by the rules

Thank you for your time, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this kind of question

Matty

Yes, buy seeds from nwtseeds.com. I have bought seeds from them. Good service, very large selection. Tobacco seeds are no problem from US to Canada. Still not too late for a first grow. Buy some seeds, say, no more than 4 varieties, just to get your feet wet. There is much to learn in a first time grow.

DGBAMA

NWT seeds is owned by Skychaser, a member here. Just place an order, I believe his seeds are already certified.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
As far as I know, phytos aren't needed for seeds - only living plant material.

And I'm comfortable if my plants are started by mid March; last year I started some at the end of March with good results.

Good luck!

DerAlbertaner

Thank you very much! Maybe I will just take my time picking what to order then. I live a little bit north of Edmonton, and after giving it some thought would like to try my hand at some black mammoth and havana- cigar filler for the most part. I probably won't get as much out of them as I can being so far away from where they are from, but does anybody here know if its even doable here? Low humidity, temperature probably from 75-80 in daytime to as low as 55 at night. Would probably plant them in 5 gallon buckets. Maybe a topic for another thread but didn't want to spam too much being so new

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
It will work out well. I would take bigger buckets (if I would grow em in that). If you explain it for him when you order the seed he probably can help you to get some variants that is better choice for you to grow he growing his variants self so he know them.
You can also look at the variants and see how long time it needs to maturity.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Yes but I was thinking a little wrong. Thinking of liter (measure I as a Swedish normally speak about). 5 gallon is like 18L. And the first year I grow tobacco I had 25L and it is like 5,5 gallons, the 2 Black mammoth variants I grow in buckets wasn't the happiest. But they was still get me some good tobacco. I don't do cigars and ain't remember if the best of em was small stalk/stock Black mammoth or if it was the other. You shall also know that I have growing 3-4 different "Black mammoth" they are similar but absolutely not the same one. LoL wow Tack?! Didn't see that part first..

DerAlbertaner

Hmm, I'll have to ask skychaser which black mammoth would be best, I had no idea that there was more than one kind. I hear it can work well for snus too- I would love to try that. My grandfather was a big fan of snus, his father was from Skåne

Thank you again for the help!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Yes Black mammoth make a good oral-snuff. My absolute favorite is Green Brior. Huehuetenango make a "snus" that is easy to form. Don't taste the best. But in a mix it is really good. I like Dark variants best. Did a check and he only have small stalk black mammoth.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
If he was from "Skåne" he had one of the best growing location in Sweden. I have growing up on Gotland (Sweden's biggest island) And it was really easy to grow things there. It is really different between easy and hard.. But you can definitely grow tobacco in Canada to. Not so much different to where I am..

ChinaVoodoo

Thank you very much! Maybe I will just take my time picking what to order then. I live a little bit north of Edmonton, and after giving it some thought would like to try my hand at some black mammoth and havana- cigar filler for the most part. I probably won't get as much out of them as I can being so far away from where they are from, but does anybody here know if its even doable here? Low humidity, temperature probably from 75-80 in daytime to as low as 55 at night. Would probably plant them in 5 gallon buckets. Maybe a topic for another thread but didn't want to spam too much being so new

Don't you worry. We certainly can grow tobacco successfully. I'm sure you and I will be chatting plenty this year. I'm going to be starting plants in 3 weeks. You should order your seeds and sort out your grow light situation soon.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
As smokes says, if you can grow tomatoes you can grow tobacco.

The only problem I've had with the longer-season varieties is seed production (had lots of good leaf) - but the pods don't ripen on the plants before frost gets them. I've had some success hanging the stalks inside , but haven't had enough experience with that approach to be sure it works reliably.

But with the low cost and availability of seed, that is a minor issue!

DerAlbertaner

If he was from "Skåne" he had one of the best growing location in Sweden. I have growing up on Gotland (Sweden's biggest island) And it was really easy to grow things there. It is really different between easy and hard.. But you can definitely grow tobacco in Canada to. Not so much different to where I am..
Wow I had no idea, that good southern Swedish soil eh? Gotland looks beautiful, from Google images

Don't you worry. We certainly can grow tobacco successfully. I'm sure you and I will be chatting plenty this year. I'm going to be starting plants in 3 weeks. You should order your seeds and sort out your grow light situation soon.
Wow that's coming up quick, should be a nice early spring this year hopefully, if our 'harsh albertan winter' is anything to by!

As smokes says, if you can grow tomatoes you can grow tobacco.

The only problem I've had with the longer-season varieties is seed production (had lots of good leaf) - but the pods don't ripen on the plants before frost gets them. I've had some success hanging the stalks inside , but haven't had enough experience with that approach to be sure it works reliably.

But with the low cost and availability of seed, that is a minor issue!

That's a good point, I hadn't even thought of that- I'll be sure to hang on to those seed packets haha

Status
Not open for further replies.