Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Everything poultry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahunter

Hello, I am a new member and just noticed this section. I have a major in poultry science from UGA so if anyone has any questions regarding poultry throw them on here and I will do my best to answer them. From genetics, sickness, incubation, and nutrition. I don't claim to know it all but I will help the best I can.
hunter

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
That's cool, we have a lot of people that raise birds here.

ArizonaDave

Very cool. We have a lot of people here from all walks of life, but I think you're the first poultry major. We used to raise poultry, I really miss the fresh eggs. Nothing like store bought :) Much much better.

ChinaVoodoo

Yeah, how do you keep the feathers away from your sticky tobacco leaves?

It's still illegal to have chickens in edmonton, but there are pilot residential chickens, so it shouldn't be long before the food security plan starts allowing everyone to have chickens. I'd be quite interested in having a couple

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have a question . Which came first the chicken or the egg ?
My answer is the rooster did .

We always had chickens when I was a kid . Nothing like eggs for breakfast or a back yard supper .
My son has a lot of chickens but his main problem is predators . Mink about killed all his chickens all at one time . Chicken hawks and falcons are putting a hurt on the as well .

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I keep my chickens in portable pens, also known as "Chicken Tractors" I move them everyday so they get fresh grass and bugs. I've had predators in the past dig under and pull some birds out. I now lay 1 foot wide strips of cattle fence around the tractor. Never had a predator problem since then.

Gahunter

I am glad y'all thought this thread was a good idea. I hope to help some people and give back some of what I know. Chinavoodoo You shouldn't have a problem with feathers until the winter when the birds start to molt. For everyone with the predator problems a good coop that you can lock up at night will solve most of your problems and a good goose and/or a few turkeys will take care of most of your aerial predators. You will be surprised how much damage a few hen turkeys can do to a hawk

DGBAMA

I am glad y'all thought this thread was a good idea. I hope to help some people and give back some of what I know. Chinavoodoo You shouldn't have a problem with feathers until the winter when the birds start to molt. For everyone with the predator problems a good coop that you can lock up at night will solve most of your problems and a good goose and/or a few turkeys will take care of most of your aerial predators. You will be surprised how much damage a few hen turkeys can do to a hawk

Interesting about the turkeys.

How about an easy remedy for hens that eat their eggs before they can be collected?

Brown Thumb

How about an easy remedy for hens that eat their eggs before they can be collected?
even I know the answer to that one.
Eat them and get some more hens.:confused:

Gahunter

I would try adding some over the counter crushed oyster shell or old egg shells that have been left to dry and finely crushed up. If they are just eating the egg I have used golf balls in the nest before but now uses wooden eggs. After they find out they can not eat them they will usually stop trying to eat the real egg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If you are not sure which chicken is eating eggs study their faces and look for the one with yolk on it, or sneak up on them periodically and see if you catch her in the nest box. I've had a few in the past 20 years that were egg eaters. As soon as I catch one she meets Mr. Hatchet.

Gahunter

If you are not sure which chicken is eating eggs study their faces and look for the one with yolk on it, or sneak up on them periodically and see if you catch her in the nest box. I've had a few in the past 20 years that were egg eaters. As soon as I catch one she meets Mr. Hatchet.
This is very accurate if you can catch it fast. But if you have had the problem for awhile you likely have most of your hens eating eggs. They are fast learners when it comes to bad habits

Gavroche

I also believe that there are hens with eggs good mother, good laying hen and hens with meat (stupid and nasty) they have no same character...

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
We have a lot of chicken farms around here.....maybe I'll take some pics of them today for this thread..1 town over we have a huge chicken processing plant..it was called gold kist..but it got bought out..I think it's name now is pilgrims pride..

Smokin Harley

Hello, I am a new member and just noticed this section. I have a major in poultry science from UGA so if anyone has any questions regarding poultry throw them on here and I will do my best to answer them. From genetics, sickness, incubation, and nutrition. I don't claim to know it all but I will help the best I can.
hunter
Hey Gahunter and welcome to FTT, my sister and BIL work for UGA in the marine science dept.

Gahunter

That's great, the only thing I learned about Marine science is they had good looking women.

ArizonaDave

Mink about killed all his chickens all at one time . .

Mink? In Kentucky? How long has this been going on? I'm surprised. We lost some when a coyote - wolf hybrid jumped a 5 ft. fence and killed a third. I was surprised it jumped that high, it was twice the size of our big dog, which our dog was over 100 lbs. A transylvanian hound mix

BigBonner

Founding Member
When I was young I would trap for extra cash . Mink , Coon , Muskrat and foxes was all that was here to catch . Now other animals are moving in . Now we have coyote's , bob cats and on some occasions a bear .
Part of Ky are having wild hog trouble but none so far where I live .
In 1993 there was no deer or turkeys here at my farm but now we have plenty .
There was a mountain lion killed the next county beside me .Fish and wild life say it was supposedly from a captive pet and turned loos , but now they are rumors in TN of mountain lion sightings .

When the mink killed our chickens at my son's home . I went over to see if I could figure what animal had done the dirty deed . I finally found a hole under one of his pens . The size of the hole was kind of confusing . I did not exactly know if it was a coon , opossum or a mink . Judging from the way the chickens was killed and the amount killed I thought it was a mink .
I made trap sets for a mink which takes a little more concealing than for a coon or opossum . I made the trap set around 5 pm that evening . After we ate supper and my son went back home to find we had caught that killer mink .

Now we have a lot of the black headed buzzards , They are a migratory bird and it is illegal to kill them . But now the black headed buzzards are killing new born calves and young calves . There have also been reports of them killing other animals , Chicken , cats goats , sheep etc. Now fish and wild life are allowing farmers to buy a permit to kill the buzzards . We have lost several calves to them .Cow calves and we see them live and doing well , to come back to find the buzzards eating away . Sometime the calves will still be alive or almost dead .
We also have turkey neck buzzards that don't cause any trouble and only eat what is dead .

Status
Not open for further replies.