Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Can you flue cure orientals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Can you flue cure orientals? Of course you can, but what I mean is what will resemble sun curing more, air curing or flue curing? Can you flue cure them on the stalk?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Sun curing will yield a leaf very similar to Flue Cured. With orientals, I've air cured, sun cured and flue cured and really have not tasted much of a difference. There is a gigantic difference though between a flue cured variety that is air cured compared to flue cured. This is probably due to the much larger sugar content in the leaf. I don't think you can flue cure with the stalks. The temps would be way too high to get the stalk to dry, plus the leaves would be getting moisture from the stalk as they dried. It would be interesting to try though!

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If you grow Turkish tobacco in the same way it is grown traditionally (really, really close together), the stalks will only get about the size of a pencil. I believe this would allow for an efficient cure in a flue barn.

Just my 2 pesos

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I flue cure all my bacca..but that's just me.I'm not interested in a specific colour..or a mildness in taste...I just want some dried bacca to shove into my cigg tube...

Although I do have a big onion bag full of bacca that's been aging for a while..I'm curious what it's gonna be like when I shred it.
Who knows I may try it and change the way I normally do things.

ChinaVoodoo

If you grow Turkish tobacco in the same way it is grown traditionally (really, really close together), the stalks will only get about the size of a pencil. I believe this would allow for an efficient cure in a flue barn.

Just my 2 pesos

"really, really close together"? Like, closer than the recommended 12"?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
""really, really close together"? Like, closer than the recommended 12"?"

Depends on the variety. Istanbulin posted a lot of interesting info on Turkish tobaccos, one of which was a chart of planting distances. Most of my Turkish are planted 6-8 inches apart in a double row (8 inches between the rows).

ChinaVoodoo

Status
Not open for further replies.