Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Time Has Come, BT's 2016 Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

You did drop a lot of seeds per hole.

This year I tried to be very careful on how many I put in each hole..but I still got too many in some holes..but not too bad..
I'm in the process now of thinning them out..( among all my other projects )
I put them seeds a Pepper shaker:eek:

Brown Thumb

Just thinning out the Chita pets.
6 more trays to go.
Jacobs knifes are turning out good.
I told him to slow down 100 times and he did not listen when sanding them.
He sliced his finger Good. Like I know nothing Son.
He was going slow tonight.
image.jpg

DGBAMA

Just thinning out the Chita pets.
6 more trays to go.
Jacobs knifes are turning out good.
I told him to slow down 100 times and he did not listen when sanding them.
He sliced his finger Good. Like I know nothing Son.
He was going slow tonight.
View attachment 17813

For sure. My daughter is the same way. At this point she even knows I'm giving good advise, and chooses her own way until it doesn't work. She even told me "I know you are probably right, but I have to try my way anyhow".

Gmac

My remedy for "leggy" in the early stages......a ball point pen. When they are thinned to one per cell, I use the ink stick (tube) of a pen. Push it into the soil nearly touching the seedling, it grabs the roots. Push down until it pulls the bottom leggy leaves flush or slightly below the surface of the soil. Basically bury the root ball.

I suggest the pen tube instead of other poking devices not because it is better, but because the soil does not stick to it.
Do you use the pointed end or blunt end?

Brown Thumb

For sure. My daughter is the same way. At this point she even knows I'm giving good advise, and chooses her own way until it doesn't work. She even told me "I know you are probably right, but I have to try my way anyhow".
Oh, yes. I hear yes dad everytime but this works better.
I think he is trying to puncture, cut, smash, break ect. more body parts than me with tools.:eek:

Brown Thumb

BT, With those deep cells do you pack the soil into them or do you fill them more like a float tray by lightly tamping the soil?
From observing them while thinning them out, the compacted soil produced less sprouts.
They appear to like light and Airy soil.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
From observing them while thinning them out, the compacted soil produced less sprouts.
They appear to like light and Airy soil.

The compacted soil can also induce Spiral Root in the sprouts that do make it past germination.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
The compacted soil can also induce Spiral Root in the sprouts that do make it past germination.

+1 on that. This is my first year with float trays, and I realize now that I over-filled them, or at least some of them. Some of my tomatoes got spiral root, and I'm watching the first few tobacco seedlings anxiously.

Smokin Harley

As soon as we get back from our vacation ,I'm starting seeds...I bought a few of those RooTrainers last year and I will be using those side by side the normal cell/flat packs .

Hasse SWE

Founding Member

Hope you ain't getting mad about it. Because it's quite true, some times it's almost impossible to learn about other peoples mistake.. But that doesn't mean that your word is a bad thing, you are a good man and seems to give your all to help people.

Brown Thumb

Still thinning the herd.
Two more to go at the moment.
I planted a tray of DA, last yrs. Grow out survivor.
I had room, I couldn't see waisting the electricity for light where another tray would fit.
It is a cigar filler but dried yellow like a flue cured and smelled like cigg Baccy.
image.jpg

DGBAMA

So based on last year, will you flue cure some? Will be interested to see how it turns out.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I been thinning also..I've never started as many as I have this year..but I've had good success rate of germination this year..
I'm filling up my 128 hole floatation trays with them..
And making my greenhouse bigger to accommodate them.
I'm actually impressed with how the greenhouse is turning out.
Every year I reconstruct the greenhouse.. It's just a temporary thing for me..but each year I use it..perhaps I should build me a real one using clear panels..

Brown Thumb

Go figure,
Wear your Safety Glasses When thinning the Herd.:cool:
My arm was getting sore and I smacked the side of the tray and the loose dirt on the tray flew in my eye:mad:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Sounds like you have my syndrome.

The more I thin .the more I drink..and then accidents take place.
I've done a lot of thinning..but still ain't put a dent in what I got

Status
Not open for further replies.