Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Heirloom American Indian Tobacco lines

Yes! Very much. Please!!! And I may have some seeds for you if interested.
    1. Ta 101 Goldenseal special 2. I-35 Insect Resistant 3. Pennsylvania Red 4. Samsun Maden 5. Mississippi Heirloom 6. K 358 7. Little Yellow 8. Red Russian 9. Orinoco Oily

Im from AZ originally. Im indian(Tohono O'odham) I grow a variety that an elder gave me a while back ago. The elder said its been with him before the spanish reached AZ. Let me tell you its some of the strongest ive had. I also grow a variety that i give to elders and family for everyday use. I call it I'itoi(Elder Brother) tobacco. I got that one from a friend that says its been in his family for a very very long time. Its not rustica so its more mellow but the one i mentioned first is a rustica.

Welcome to the forum, Mrflufay. Feel free to introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum, and consider adding your general location to your profile (so it will appear beside each of your posts).

Since Nicotiana rustica has been intentionally cultivated in the desert southwest for at least several thousand years, your elder's tobacco could well be of Hohokam origin.

I've grown the N. tabacum varieties Papante and Mt. Pima, and even crossed them with the quite similar looking Little Dutch. I saved the seed of those crosses, but have never propagated them.

I personally do not enjoy smoking N. rustica, but a number of forum members grow various varieties of it.

Bob

Thanks for the welcome deluxestogie, how did you cross the two species? Did you use a brush because i've tried and failed to cross them. I also looked up the varieties you said but mines don't look like that they look more like the Hopi variety with wrinkly leaves and greenish-yellow flowers.

Crossing tobacco: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/...acco-Varieties

Crossing varieties of N. tabacum with one another is fairly straightforward.

Crossing N. tabacum with N. rustica usually doesn't work, though in the rare instances that it does, it's N. tabacum pollen on a N. rustica pistil. There is a separate thread on that: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/...um-x-N-Rustica

Also, you might want to bookmark the Index to Key Forum Threads: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/...-the-FTT-forum

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12