Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help...I Need A little Advice- Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike

I have a question for those members who have been here for awhile as my experience in this aspect is limited. I started rolling cigars about 2 years ago. Over that time I have acquired 20 + pounds of leaf. I am curious about proper long term storage techniques. I roll different blends for variety and as a result, my leaf stored in vapor -proof bags have some age. When they get dry I do spray a little distilled H20 into to keep it from disintegrating from being extremely brittle. Usually more age leads to mellowing and even better flavor etc. I am not in an arid environment, in fact my home does have a humidification system- but normal humidity is usually in 55% as 70% is to high.

My question:

Is there a breaking point for leaf stored over time. Don's leaf is very good quality and site says it can last in bags for up to a year. Is there a minimum relative humidity to must be maintained in order to preserve the flavor and integrity of the product? I know this is not as much of a problem in countries of origin as usually tropical climate of 65-70 % RelHum. I am hoping to keep it tasting good for as long as possible instead of the lack-luster taste of cigars that have dried out etc. I have no problem humidifying leaf for maintenance but I am curious if this is needed; or perhaps re-moistening to roll is enough and flavor profile is still in tact. Please let me know what you have found to work best over the years and I would deeply appreciate it.

Thanks again,

webmost

Re: Help...I Need A little Advice-

Hi Mike

I have some of Don's unopened bags living in a box in the closet, must be two years old, still feel just fine when I open one.
Opened bags, I roll the tops up and hold the rolled bit tight with a spring clip. The n I stash these in an ice chest. I put a humidifier and hygrometer in the chest. Goes for several months at a stretch before I need to re-soak the humidifier.
I have a room humidifier just outside the door. I run that in Winter when the furnace or fireplace are going.

Never have had crispy critters happen using these simple methods.

I am stashing leaves against the inevitable do-gooder tobaccolypse. So they better be able to keep.

MarcL

It sounds like you've got it right. the only thing about dry leaf is that it crumbles so, as long as you don't beat it up, it's good.

My extra pounds sits in there bags and in bins. I don't touch them. pounds I'll be getting into I'll keep moist. then, what I'll be rolling with will go on too get prepped and such.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

These are my thoughts on the subject.

Loss of flavor/aroma
Many of the subtle flavors of tobacco are provided by volatile compounds. If unimpeded, these volatiles will slowly be lost through cellophane (usual cigar covering)--measured in many years, if stored in proper humidity. You can smell a cigar through its cellophane. Well-stored cigars seem to gradually go downhill after about a decade.

By contrast, these volatile compounds don't seem to penetrate poly-nylon bags (e.g. WLT 5 mil vapor-proof bags). You can't smell the tobacco through a sealed poly-nylon bag. So I generally assume that whole leaf in a poly-nylon bag will retain all its volatiles. While the thickness of the poly-nylon does make a difference in water vapor penetration, the thickness doesn't seem to make a difference with other volatiles. So, while thinner poly-nylon bags (e.g. 3 mil) available from other sources do not seem to be quite as effective as the 5 mil bags at preventing water loss, they do appear to retain the aromas.

Aging
This is a different issue from loss of aroma. Aging is an enzymatic process (mediated by enzymes contained within the dead leaf lamina). The enzymatic reaction requires water. When the leaf is dry, enzymatic aging is suspended. When the leaf once again acquires enough moisture, enzymatic aging resumes. I don't know the % moisture content for the cutoff, but at typical habitable temperatures, an RH above 60% allows aging. Above 80% RH, mold growth is guaranteed.

If leaf is just perfect as it is, then the only reason to keep it in low case (just moist enough not to crumble) within its poly-nylon bag is to prevent mechanical damage to the stored leaf. If you hope for some additional aging, then a light spritz of clean water from time to time will allow it to continue to age.

Conclusion
Leaf in poly-nylon bags will be happy for many, many years. Keep it in at least low case to:
  • allow further aging
  • prevent mechanical damage
If the leaf is in an unopened poly-nylon bag from WLT, there is no need to do anything for a long time.

Bob

charlie G.

Bob glad to see you sharing your knowledge again.

I keep my leaf in the bags WLT ships them in. With the open end rolled up and taped closed. If I notice the leaf is getting to dry I take it out and give it a lite spritzing and put it back in the bag.
Pretty much what Bob just stated.
Mike some good info in all of these replies.

Smokin Harley

I check it from time to time to make sure its still pliable inside the bag. The vapor proof bags keep the tobacco perfect for a long long time. I don't just roll the top down though . I fold one corner over then the other over that and roll the formed point down a couple times and put packing tape over it. Then I stack them up in a box in a 70* dark area and forget about it for a while. I'm still doing this with the kilned leaf I grew ,hoping to bag-age it a while before use. Every time I open them , it has an extremely pleasant aroma.

VAMike

i just wanted to thank you for your responses and let you know I appreciate your feedback. My questions were answered!! I was just trying to make sure I didn't go back to leaves later to find that, by my negligence they were ruined. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues in continuing to enjoy my cigar making adventures. Thanks again and happy rolling....just going to buy more supplies....

Mike

Smokin Harley

No problem. Just keep an eye on it . If the moisture content is too high when you bag/store it ,it will mold . What I did before sealing the vapor proof bags was to flatten and stack the leaves (medium case) and set it over one of my seed starter flat heat pads , the moisture will slowly dissipate . I will set it on this for a couple days ,then fold the bag over and let it go some more. If the moisture content is right (low case),the bag will remain clear when warm. If it still fogs up , open the bag and let it go another day or so until the bag remains clear while warm(on the heat pad) ,then I will take it off and allow it to cool with the top open a couple more days on its own ,then seal it up for long term storage. I also noticed that a couple varieties are more prone / susceptible to mold than others. Va Gold and Black Mammoth being two of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.