Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lakeland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavroche

Hello sirs

I am crazy about Lakeland, it is the particular flavor(perfume) which for me evokes the well-kept old lady of Agatha Christie's novels.

Have you a recipe(takings)? For coniston cut plug and brown flake, ennerdale example of Gawith Hoggarth and Co....

I tried to create a lakeland type casing with rose geranium essential oil, invert sugar and spiced rum. Although it smelt like perfume at first and I could taste the rose geranium after I dried the tobacco just after applying the casing, the perfume smell and flavour vanished very quickly and is fairly non existent, bar a faint reminder after I pressed it into a plug. Still ended up as a decent enough smoke but lakeland it is not.

Other ingredients to add would be cloves, almond essence of some sort, perhaps licorice, tonka bean. If you read the descriptions on tobacco reviews it seems the top note and invert sugar is applied after pressing. I'm a complete novice and am still trying to work out how to get flavours to stick.

I did try adding a tonka bean soaked in water overnight into a jar with the plug I created and it seems to have added a tonquin flavour to the tobacco and it smells great in the jar :)

I'm a fan of Lakeland flavours also and would love to create my own version so I second the request for any ideas on achieving a lakeland type flavouring.

Planter

I did a lot of experimentation on that. One problem with botanicals as a flavouring is getting the measurements right - too much and it really affects the smoking properties. You also want to eliminate the wooden components mostly, so use high quality essential oils or alcoholic extracts. Lavender blossoms and mint leaves, cloves, also hazelnut leaves are an exception, they can be used directly, since they burn cleanly.

Anise oil, lavender oil or extract, mint oil or extract, rose geranium oil, bergamot oil, lemon grass oil are good, sweeten and smoothen the smoke. Patchouli also has a smoothening effect, but adds a wooden aroma, which one may like or not. Orange oil should work, but I did no try that yet. I also did not try clove oil, since cloves burn well (see Kretek) and clove extract can be easily made.

Measurements: You want to stay in the range of 0.1-0.5% ACCUMULATED for all essential oils added. It's tempting to add more, but it only impresses once or twice, it can easily become overwhelming. Vanilla extract can be used in addition (0.1-2%, 0.3% seems just right most of the time).

My favourite recipe is now as follows (I developed it with Maduro as a base, but it's working equally well with my own stoved Prilep):

For 20g tobacco dissolve 2 drops (=0.5% of tobacco weight) rose geranium oil and 0.3% Vanilla extract in enough good whisky/cognac/rum to moisten all the tobacco (appr. 5ml).

Firmly press the tobacco into a jar with the whisky/rum/cognac.
Let steep at least over night, better for a week, and even better for a month or more. Let slowly dry at room temperature afterwards.

The result has a fantastic room note, which even tobacco haters like, and a really pleasant aroma in the pipe. It does not create additional bite (an issue I found with many other aromatic substances). It also does not affect burn negatively. The aroma is stable till the bottom of the bowl.

You may start from there. If you want to make a rose and lavender tobacco, use 1 drop rose geranium and 1 drop lavender oil instead (so the accumulated amounts are still the same).
Invert sugar can be added (up to 10%) if you find the base tobacco to cigarish (= too low in sugar). Anise oil has a very similar effect anyway. If the tobacco contains already a lot of sugar (like my stoved Prilep), it's actually counterproductive.
Anyway, I believe the key to the sublime qualities of a Lakeland lies in small amounts of high quality botanicals which are given enough time to penetrate the tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.